Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 + GSkill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD @2133

Hello,

I spent the last two days looking into why Prime95 always quit working after a while, stating wrong FP values.

I also found a solution to the problem, but let's not get ahead of ourselves

I do have the following setup:

CPU: Core i7 2600K @4,2GHz cooled by Corsair H80 (Idle 30?C / Load 65?C)
    MB: Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3
    RAM: 2 x GSkill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD @2133MHz(Intel XMP)
    VGA: Gainward Phantom GTX 580
    Case: BitFenix Colossus

In BIOS I set the RAMs to use the Intel XMP Profile and under usual system load everything worked just fine, even the popular 3D benchmarks made no problems at all.

Whenever I'm building a new system I have the habit to Prime95 it to check for unusual system behavior. As already mentioned Prime95 quit its workers core by core every time. Usually this is a indicator of high temperatures, since MB, Case and CPU were doing just fine I was checking on the RAMs which were too hot. I installed the GSkill Memory Cooler which improved things as the RAMs stayed cool. However the Prime95 problem still persisted, so I checked all BIOS related memory and voltage settings.

Oddly I found, that the XMP Profile increased DRAM voltage from 1,65V to 1,68V which should be fine, but I manually set it back to 1,65V and started my Prime95 tests.

With the reduced DRAM voltage Prime95 runs just fine for as long as I let it to

Hope this helps anyone looking into a similar problem.

Best regards,
    Sean.

Thanks for sharing, sure people will find the info helpful

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yep, the chips these days are very sensitive to voltage. If you have too little or too high, it can cause instability. So gone are the days of simply jacking up the voltage folks!

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
      X