Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D gskill-8GBSR going crazy

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE === BIOS v0706 - [Newest]
    Processor: INTEL CORE I7-2600K
    Heatsink: NOCTUA NH-D14
    Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 [F3-12800CL7D-8GSR]
    Video Cards: ASUS GeForce GTX 580
    OS: Windows 7 64bit Enterprise === SP1 & All Windows Updates

i am unable to use a second stick on my motherboard....
    if i put one stick of 4gb in soscket 2 (blue) on my motherboard the system boots with not any problem and i can see 4 gb in my sistem and all is ok...when i put the second stick in the socket 4 (blue) the motherboard flashes red and gives me q-code 2e and does not boot.
    i thought was that second stick that was broken or had problem but it is not so... if i put in in slot 2 the system boots...so all the two sticks are "ok".
    well i thought it was socket 4 that had problems and put in in socket 1 or 3.... the systems gives the same problem, not boots red light and q code. 2e
    in other words a single stick in slot 2 the system goes well, when i put the other stick in any other slot the mainboard does not boot...
    i tried with bios 501, 603 and newest 706, same problem, tried with all options in bios and with the asus memory buttom on mainboard, the motherboard doesn't boot...
    as just i use one stick in slot 2 all is ok, when i put another stick doesn't boot.
    any suggestion?
    Last edited by ultras77; 09-05-2011, 04:34 AM.

Try slots 1-3, if still problems then 1 stick in slot 1, go into BIOS, enable XMP, select the 1600 profile, boot, shutdown, add second stick and boot again

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Try slots 1-3, if still problems then 1 stick in slot 1, go into BIOS, enable XMP, select the 1600 profile, boot, shutdown, add second stick and boot again
      xmp enabled, same problem...
      1 stick on slot 2 0k (with and without xmp)
      1 stick on slot 4 red light error 2e (with and without xmp)
      1 stick on slot 3 red light error 2e (with and without xmp)

1 stick on slot 2 and one in slot 4 red light error 2e (with and without xmp)

this situation is the same changing the stick and putting dram vcore to 1.5 and 1.6...

i have not tried slot 1 because it is under the noctua ndh14 and i don't think the situation will change... i am waiting 2 sticks from a friend of mine that has 16 gb in his p8p67 deluxe to make some other tests...

Comment

Reset the BIOS with the button on the motherboard, then try again. It may be that the first slot is the initial slot, so you may want to test and see if that is the case.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hello Ultras77,

The code you are getting indicates that your BIOS is stopping on the last of 4 stages of your memory initialization. You have already mentioned the flashing red code 2e in your previous post. Are there any other red LEDs lit on your board? If so which ones and are these steady or flashing?

What is the status of your EPU and TPU switches on your motherboard? Have you tried setting your RAM Command Rate (CR) to "2T"?

For my edification, after getting the the boot failure, with RAM slots A2 and B2 (blue ones) populated, you should have gotten a steady red LED light next to the RAM slots and the MEM OK button. Did you then press the MEM OK button until the red LED started flashing and then let the BIOS cycle and reboot through all of the failsafe memory settings until the red red LED turned steady again? I do not know the number of cycles/reboots involved but they take about 30 seconds each not including reboots. RAM LED returns to red steady to indicate BIOS search cycle end.

Did you at anytime interrupt the BIOS failsafe search after pressing the RAM OK button? If so, did you shut down and unplug your computer from the electrical outlet to stop/disable the BIOS failsafe search? If not do a reset now.

Suggest you try this:

1- Shut down your computer and insure EPU and TPU switches are disabled.
          2-Populate RAM slot A2 and B2 (blue ones) and attempt to booth to BIOS
          3- If no boot use RAM OK button and let BIOS run fully through all of the failsafe setting and reboots.
          4-If still no boot to BIOS shut down computer and switch the RAM sticks from A2 to B2 and B2 to A2.
          5- Boot to BIOS, no joy, use RAM OK button and let BIOS run fully through all of the failsafe setting and reboots.

Report back, good luck,
          Last edited by TigerLi; 09-06-2011, 11:58 PM.
          Windows7 Ultimate SP1 - 64bit
          i7-2600K-D2 @ 4.5G-1.37V, Cooler ? Corsair H70
          Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3 ? BIOS F5
          8GB Gskill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD@ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T-1.65V
          Power Color Radeon 6990 @ 880x1250 MHz
          Corsair 1000 W
          LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
          Creative Audigy 2Z Card
          WD Raptor 600K, Samsung F3/1Tera
          LiteOn iHBS 212, Sansung SH-S203N

Comment

first of all i have to thank you for your answer!

[QUOTE=TigerLi;46419]Hello Ultras77,

Are there any other red LEDs lit on your board? If so which ones and are these steady or flashing? ->> only light near memory socket

What is the status of your EPU and TPU switches on your motherboard? both off
            Have you tried setting your RAM Command Rate (CR) to "2T"? yes

For my edification, after getting the the boot failure, with RAM slots A2 and B2 (blue ones) populated, you should have gotten a steady red LED light next to the RAM slots and the MEM OK button. Did you then press the MEM OK button until the red LED started flashing and then let the BIOS cycle and reboot through all of the failsafe memory settings until the red red LED turned steady again? yes, many times
            I do not know the number of cycles/reboots involved but they take about 30 seconds each not including reboots. RAM LED returns to red steady to indicate BIOS search cycle end. a the the end of the cicle the light remains red

Did you at anytime interrupt the BIOS failsafe search after pressing the RAM OK button? no
            If so, did you shut down and unplug your computer from the electrical outlet to stop/disable the BIOS failsafe search? If not do a reset now.

Suggest you try this:

1- Shut down your computer and insure EPU and TPU switches are disabled.
            2-Populate RAM slot A2 and B2 (blue ones) and attempt to booth to BIOS
            3- If no boot use RAM OK button and let BIOS run fully through all of the failsafe setting and reboots.
            4-If still no boot to BIOS shut down computer and switch the RAM sticks from A2 to B2 and B2 to A2. i have tried this also same issue
            5- Boot to BIOS, no joy, use RAM OK button and let BIOS run fully through all of the failsafe setting and reboots. i can boot my pc and go to bios only with one stick in socket A2, you say i have to boot in this way and while i am in bios press the MEM ok button?

i repeat, the only thing i have not tried is populate slot A1 because i have the noctua on it and i dont want to think that the problem is there...and i have talked with another guy that have the same momory of mine and he has not any problem....

thanks again for your help!

Comment

Greetings Ultras77,

Looks like you have been very thorough and explored most DRAM options on your motherboard. First let clarify this: "5- Boot to BIOS, no joy, use RAM OK button and let BIOS run fully through all of the failsafe setting and reboots. i can boot my pc and go to BIOS only with one stick in socket A2, you say i have to boot in this way and while i am in BIOS press the MEM ok button?" "Boot to BIOS, no joy..." meant "Boot to BIOS, if boot unsuccessful than use MEM OK Button." MEM OK button is only used when initial attempt to boot to BIOS has failed. The procedure you have followed was the right one.

The TPU switch is suppose to boost your motherboard . Have you tried to enable it and then boot with your RAM sticks in blue slots? If not give it a go.

If TPU enabled makes no difference you are then left with two Questions. Are the two RAM sticks able to work together as a dual channel pair? Or, Is there something wrong with RAM slot B2 on the motherboard?

Your first post said that you tried slot 1 and 3. Your second post said that you did not try slot A1 due to interference with Noctua. Have you tried booting with your RAM sticks installed in slot A1 and B1 ? Is it the body of the Noctua or the Fan that is interfering with installation of RAM stick in slot A1? Are you using the basic 2 fans set up? See this Noctua review for clearance and fan number clarification: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...er-review.html

Can you try the following:

1- Re-position Noctua fan(s) or use a different CPU cooler, to gain access to RAM slot A1 and then try to booth with DRAMs in slots A1 and B1. This is not a permanent setup, we are just probing. Use good quality masking tape or large elastic bands to secure HSF fan if needed.
              2- If above step fails to boot you into BIOS, then you should try your RAM sticks in your friend's computer and try his similar RAM sticks in your computer.

Good luck,
              Last edited by TigerLi; 09-08-2011, 09:56 AM.
              Corsair 1000 W
              LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
              Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

F3-12800CL7D gskill-8GBSR going crazy

have you try to boot with one stick and upping your VCCIO to 1.15v ?
                i7 3770K/4770K
                ASRock OCF
                Gskill
                ,Crucial C300,WD black,
                GTX570(972/2300)Corsair HX850W,
                Lite-On 24X,Win 7X64bit,TT Spedo

Comment

Looks like you have been very thorough and explored most DRAM options on your motherboard. First let clarify this: "5- Boot to BIOS, no joy, use RAM OK button and let BIOS run fully through all of the failsafe setting and reboots. i can boot my pc and go to BIOS only with one stick in socket A2, you say i have to boot in this way and while i am in BIOS press the MEM ok button?" "Boot to BIOS, no joy..." meant "Boot to BIOS, if boot unsuccessful than use MEM OK Button." MEM OK button is only used when initial attempt to boot to BIOS has failed. The procedure you have followed was the right one. -->>> yes, i have tried all the way

The TPU switch is suppose to boost your motherboard . Have you tried to enable it and then boot with your RAM sticks in blue slots? If not give it a go. ->>tried this also... no success

If TPU enabled makes no difference you are then left with two Questions. Are the two RAM sticks able to work together as a dual channel pair? Or, Is there something wrong with RAM slot B2 on the motherboard? -->> think is not RAM slot the problem...

Your first post said that you tried slot 1 and 3. Your second post said that you did not try slot A1 due to interference with Noctua. Have you tried booting with your RAM sticks installed in slot A1 and B1 ? Is it the body of the Noctua or the Fan that is interfering with installation of RAM stick in slot A1? Are you using the basic 2 fans set up? See this Noctua review for clearance and fan number clarification: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...er-review.html

i think i will better call an exorcist

Comment

Greetings Ultras77,

Whenever troubleshooting electronics it is important to be logical and thorough. You must also base your analysis on facts. There is a very significant difference between thinking that something is or is not and knowing that something indeed is or is not. When I put together the system that you see below, I initially had the RAM sticks in slot 1 and 3. They would work fine at 1600MHz but the the system would not boot into BIOS if I selected 1866 or 2133 MHz. After trying every every possible timings and voltages combinations, with and without XMS, I THOUGHT that there might be something wrong with slots 1 & 3. I then switched the RAM sticks to slots 2 & 4 where they worked flawlessly at 1600-1866 and 2133 MHZ. Just for the heck of it I went back to slot 1 & 3 and ran into the original snag again. I now KNOW that my 2 X Ram sticks will only work at 1866 & 2133 MHZ if inserted into DIMMs slot 2 & 4.

Could you please answer these questions:

1- Your first post said that you tried slot 1 and 3. Your second post said that you did not try slot A1 due to interference with Noctua. Have you tried booting with your RAM sticks installed in slot A1 and B1 ? Is it the body of the Noctua or the Fan that is interfering with installation of RAM stick in slot A1? Are you using the basic 2 fans set up?

2- Have you tried your friend's RAM sticks in your Computer? If so, what were the results? If not, get another set of similar and compatible RAM sticks and try them in your troublesome system.

Good luck exorcising them electronic demons....
                    Last edited by TigerLi; 09-13-2011, 08:12 AM.
                    Corsair 1000 W
                    LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
                    Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

i solved (?) the problem... hoping that it could help some other people...
                      i have had three stick of ddr3 1600 cl9 (3 of 2 gb each) and i made this operation with those results...
                      A1 |no ram|------ slot A2 |gskill 4 gb| ------ slot B1 |no ram| ------ slot B2 |corsair 2 gb| NO BOOT ERROR 2e

A1 |no ram|------ slot A2 |no ram| ------ slot B1 |no ram| ------ slot B2 |corsair 2gb| NO BOOT ERROR 2e

A1 |no ram|------ slot A2 |corsair 2 gb| ------ slot B1 |no ram| ------ slot B2 |no ram| BOOT perfecly

A1 |no ram|------ slot A2 |corsair 2 gb| ------ slot B1 |no ram| ------ slot B2 |gskill 4gb| NO BOOT ERROR 2e

A1 |no ram|------ slot A2 |corsair 2 gb| ------ slot B1 |no ram| ------ slot B2 |corsair 2 gb| NO BOOT ERROR 2e

A1 |no ram|------ slot A2 |corsair 2 gb| ------ slot B1 |corsair 2 gb| ------ slot B2 |no ram| NO BOOT ERROR 2e

A1 |no ram|------ slot A2 |no ram| ------ slot B1 |corsair 2 gb| ------ slot B2 |no ram| NO BOOT ERROR 2e

A1 |corsair 2 gb|------ slot A2 |no ram| ------ slot B1 |no ram| ------ slot B2 |no ram| BOOT OK

and so other tests with all combination of ram....
                      the conclusion is that my mainboard accept ram only in slot A1 and a2....
                      if i put any ram in slot b1 and b2 my mainboard doesn't boot up... and to this poit i make a stupid question....during my setup i noticed that some pins of cpu socket (on mainboard) were distorced, with a lens i was able to adjust them and boot my pc but at this point the question...could be some other distorced pins that make my processor fill rightly on socket but can influence the ram socket? (excuse for the stupid question but i had to say)
                      so i finally have my ram on slot a1 and a2 (my g skill of course) but i would like to know if i need to sell my 2 stick of F3-12800CL7D gskill-8GBSR and buy one of 8 gb stick and put it on slot a2. It is because many people told me that is not the best situation fill slot a1 and a2 and it is better use only slot a2..
                      many, many thanks again to all forum support!

Comment

Greetings,

Your last post depicts a lot of RAM configurations you tried. I do not see one with Ram sticks inserted in slot A1 and B1. Have you tried it? If so what were the results?

Any distorted or bent CPU pin is highly undesirable as it will negatively impact on one or more functions of your CPU. Make sure that you rectify situation and have 100% good contacts.

To operate in dual channel mode your RAM sticks must be inserted in slots A1/B1 or A2/B2 or all Ram slots must be populated. Using any other combinations will deny you dual channel and cut your effective Ran Speed by half. You can set DDR3 - 1600 MHZ in BIOS but this really means that each individual RAM stick is set to 800 MHZ. 1600 MHZ can only be achieved by having your RAM inserted in an authorized dual channel configuration where they will combine to give you (800 + 800 = 1600 MHz). Using only slot A1 or A2 or using slot A1 and A2 are not viable options as they reduced your effective RAM speed by half. Going from a 2 to a 4 gig RAM sticks will not help increase your RAM speed.

Regards.
                        Corsair 1000 W
                        LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
                        Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLi View Post
                          Greetings,

Your last post depicts a lot of RAM configurations you tried. I do not see one with Ram sticks inserted in slot A1 and B1. Have you tried it? If so what were the results?
                          --->> i tried... NO BOOT, every time i put a stick on slot b1 or b2 the pc doesnt boot...

Any distorted or bent CPU pin is highly undesirable as it will negatively impact on one or more functions of your CPU. Make sure that you rectify situation and have 100% good contacts.
                          ---> no oneproblem using my pc (only memory problem)

To operate in dual channel mode your RAM sticks must be inserted in slots A1/B1 or A2/B2 or all Ram slots must be populated. Using any other combinations will deny you dual channel and cut your effective Ran Speed by half. You can set DDR3 - 1600 MHZ in BIOS but this really means that each individual RAM stick is set to 800 MHZ. 1600 MHZ can only be achieved by having your RAM inserted in an authorized dual channel configuration where they will combine to give you (800 + 800 = 1600 MHz). Using only slot A1 or A2 or using slot A1 and A2 are not viable options as they reduced your effective RAM speed by half. Going from a 2 to a 4 gig RAM sticks will not help increase your RAM speed.
                          -->> at this point i have to think that if dont change my mainboard and my ram is at half ran speed if i theorically buy the fastest memory on planet i.e. 2400 cl7, put them in socket a2 and overclock my bclk a bit to maximum the will run at 1200 mhz cl7 with no problem? 1200 is better than 800...
                          another question, at this point what can i do if i dont want to RMA my mainboard?
                          it is better to sell my two stick 1600 12800 cl7 and buy one 8g stick 24000 to go faster?

Regards.

Comment

Hello again Ultra.

A faster single RAM module would not really make a marked difference. Remember that you would be giving up dual channel RAM speeds for single stick speed. The maximum RAM speed that your sandy bridge system will support in dual channel and single channels are 1600/800 or 2133/1067 MHz. 2400/1200 MHz Ram would be wasted money as they would have to be throttled back to 2133/1067 MHZ. Furthermore what you are thinking of doing is the equivalent of using only 2 of the 4 cores on your CPU. The only viable option you have is to troubleshoot your system to find out why you cannot operate your RAM in dual channel.

1- Get the ISO for Memtest86+ Version 4.20 and put it onto a cd or dvd
                            2- Insert one RAM into slot A1 and then run Memtest86+ for 10 passes if no errors show up. If an error show make a note of it and stop the test on that RAM stick. (This is a long test Run it overnight or while you are at work - 8 to 10 hours)
                            3- Insert your 2nd RAM stick into slot A1 and then test it as per # 2 above.

Report back...
                            Corsair 1000 W
                            LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
                            Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLi View Post
                              Hello again Ultra.

A faster single RAM module would not really make a marked difference. Remember that you would be giving up dual channel RAM speeds for single stick speed. The maximum RAM speed that your sandy bridge system will support in dual channel and single channels are 1600/800 or 2133/1067 MHz. 2400/1200 MHz Ram would be wasted money as they would have to be throttled back to 2133/1067 MHZ. Furthermore what you are thinking of doing is the equivalent of using only 2 of the 4 cores on your CPU. The only viable option you have is to troubleshoot your system to find out why you cannot operate your RAM in dual channel.

1- Get the ISO for Memtest86+ Version 4.20 and put it onto a cd or dvd
                              2- Insert one RAM into slot A1 and then run Memtest86+ for 10 passes if no errors show up. If an error show make a note of it and stop the test on that RAM stick. (This is a long test Run it overnight or while you are at work - 8 to 10 hours)
                              3- Insert your 2nd RAM stick into slot A1 and then test it as per # 2 above.
                              it is not useful because the two sticks are ok
                              i used 2 weeks one in slot a2 then the other 2 weeks changed stick in slot a2 and fused the other one
                              finally managed the problem had to be another and not the two stick (or a single stick) of gskill memory...

Report back...
                              The slot A1 and A2 works perfectly single or both (i am using them with my two stick of gskill and finally i am happy but
                              the slot that does not work are b1 and b2....with all kind of memory i put into and with any combination..... of course with the two stick one in slot a1 andone in a2 i am in SINGLE CHANNEL MODE, but this is the only way to use my two sticks for 8 gigabyte system
                              i tried all possibile combination (with corsair too) and the conclusion is that every stick i put into slot b1 or b2 make my mainboard go into 2e error code
                              in conclusion i cannot go in dual channel mode....
                              there is a way to test one slot of ram (b1 and b2 for me) if it is not filled by any stick?

Comment

Working...
                              X