2 x 4gb skill ripjaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Noe,

Look at it as a learning experience. You have achieved much. You can now enter, exit and update your BIOS and you know much more about your system components. Hang in there you will get it working.

Here is a review link for you to enhance your knowledge about your Gskill sticks:

review - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/G...GBBRL_Ripjaws/

Pay particular attention to the SPD timings and voltage depicted in the CPU Z display in the article. It is quite possible that your BIOS default settings do not provide adequate timings and/or voltages to boot these Gskill modules. Your CPU voltage could also be to low to handle these module at XMP 1600 MHz. The question is what is the default timings and voltage programmed into these Gskill RAM SPD against what your that default BIOS settings provide for. We should be able to work around these limitations.

First post a profile of your current BIOS RAM settings and CPU voltages. Also provide us with the name/part number/timings of the old RAM you are using. I will advise once I get this info. Looks like you may need to raise Vcore and or Vtt to boot these RAM sticks. RAM timings could also need adjustments.

Meanwhile go into BIOS and set the Command Rate (CR) to 2. Shut down your computer and then retry to boot your computer with only one Gskill RAM stick in slot # 1. Try them each one at a time. If the system boots up, GO immediately into BIOS and set the RAM timings and voltage at 9-9-9-25-40-2T. If System fails to boot with one stick please provide us with the Boot fail code depicted on your motherboard (see you manual for fail codes).

You may possibly have one bad RAM stick but it is quite unlikely that you have two. The boot problem your are experiencing has most likely to do with setting proper voltage(s) and/or timings. The XMP option in BIOS normally offers one or more profiles to select from to go to XMP speed (1600 MHz in your case). The profile selected normally raises the CPU multiplier and voltage as well as adjust the voltage and timings for your RAM. Selecting XMP "profile 1" on my computers BIOS with an initial basic 34X CPU multiplier selection auto changes it to 38X. It also raises the Vcore from 1.250 V to 1.320 V. It further modifies the default RAM settings and voltage values. That SPD profile should then be stable at these settings only.

Good night,

Keep smiling Noe, you will win this battle....
    Last edited by TigerLi; 09-04-2011, 05:41 PM.
    Windows7 Ultimate SP1 - 64bit
    i7-2600K-D2 @ 4.5G-1.37V, Cooler ? Corsair H70
    Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3 ? BIOS F5
    8GB Gskill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD@ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T-1.65V
    Power Color Radeon 6990 @ 880x1250 MHz
    Corsair 1000 W
    LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
    Creative Audigy 2Z Card
    WD Raptor 600K, Samsung F3/1Tera
    LiteOn iHBS 212, Sansung SH-S203N

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLi View Post
      Meanwhile go into BIOS and set the Command Rate (CR) to 2. Shut down your computer and then retry to boot your computer with only one Gskill RAM stick in slot # 1. Try them each one at a time. If the system boots up, GO immediately into BIOS and set the RAM timings and voltage at 9-9-9-25-40-2T. If System fails to boot with one stick please provide us with the Boot fail code depicted on your motherboard (see you manual for fail codes).

You may possibly have one bad RAM stick but it is quite unlikely that you have two. The boot problem your are experiencing has most likely to do with setting proper voltage(s) and/or timings. The XMP option in BIOS normally offers one or more profiles to select from to go to XMP speed (1600 MHz in your case). The profile selected normally raises the CPU multiplier and voltage as well as adjust the voltage and timings for your RAM. Selecting XMP "profile 1" on my computers BIOS with an initial basic 34X CPU multiplier selection auto changes it to 38X. It also raises the Vcore from 1.250 V to 1.320 V. It further modifies the default RAM settings and voltage values. That SPD profile should then be stable at these settings only.

Not trying to sound mean or anything but this is all jibberish to me.. the whole 9-9-9-25-40-2T means nothing to me... maybe i could chat you somewhere and we could discuss this? I will try to work with what you sent me but i cant guarentee... sorry but i am trying. and thanks for all your help so far
      Windows 7 - 64bit
      Motherboard : EVGA P55V, PCI Express 2.0, 1156 Processors
      CPU : Intel Core i5 @ 655k 3.2 GHz
      DDR3 ADATA @ 1333mhz x 2

Comment

Hello again Noe,

No problems, just take a few minutes to go to your BIOS screen with your MB manual opened to the BIOS section. Then go through all the screens and options to familiarize yourself with the BIOS layout and options. Use info provide in BIOS and the manual to decipher the acronym and their functions. This is a much needed time investment. You should afterwards read the article on overclocking the Sandy Bridge that I linked to you in my last post.

9-9-9-25-40-2T are the basic SPS setting for your RAM sticks @ XMP 1600 MHz they stand for: CAS# Latency (CL) 9 - RAS to CAS delay (tRCD) 9 - RAS Precharge (tRP) 9 - Cycle Time (tRAS) 25 and (tRC) 40. 2T refers to the Command Rate (CR) 2.

Take it slow and feel free to ask further questions,
        Corsair 1000 W
        LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
        Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Noe%20Lara/Documents/cpu/help.html[/IMG]

This is what my cpu-z reading gives me for my current memory stick in slot #1 I only have the one in there.

Also I am not finding anything in the BIOS that would allow me to change the CR to 2. There is nothing I can change once i switch if from auto to manual.

Edit 1: Tried to link the image of the CPU read out gives me but it didnt work... The read out it gives me is..

Max Bandwitdth: PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
          Serial Number: 0000C469
          No Part Number
          Manufacturer: A-Data Technology

Timings Table - JEDEC #1 JEDEC #2 JEDEC #3 JEDEC #4

Frequency: 457Mhz________________533Mhz__________609Mhz______ ____685MHz
          CAS# Latency 6.0__________7.0___________8.0__________ 9.0
          RAS# to CAS# 6__________ 7__________ 8__________ ____9
          RAS# Precharge 6__________ 7__________ 8__________ ___9
          tRAS 17__________ 20__________22____________ 25
          tRC 23__________ 27__________30____________34
          Command Rate
          Voltage 1.50V 1.50V 1.50V 1.50V

The command Rate is faded out and does not have any readings in the table. Maybe this is why I cant find the option in the BIOS when I try to enter manually? And dont mind the lines... I tried to used them as spacing... but dono how well it will work.

Edit #2 : I have searched long and hard in my BIOS and cannot find anywhere to cahnge the Command Rate. THere are only two options that deal with ram. THe DRAM Frequency, which can either be auto of changed to 800, 1067, 1333, or 1600 MHz. The other option is the "Configure DRAM Timing by SPD. If set to manual the only options are:

tCL, tRAS, tRP, tRCD, tWR, tRFC, tWTR, tRRD, tRTP, tFAW.....I am lost
          Last edited by noe1123; 09-05-2011, 01:36 PM.
          Windows 7 - 64bit
          DDR3 ADATA @ 1333mhz x 2

Comment

Hello Noe,

Good work getting the readings from your old RAMs using CPU Z. Look like they are an early implementation on the DDR3. Their timing and voltage should allow us to loosen RAM timings and increase CPU and RAM voltage enough to booth your new Gskill RAM once you figure out were the change options are in your BIOS.

The pdf version of your Motherboard manual indicates the following steps:

1- Open BIOS to main page
            2- Look for the 2nd item in the right hand column titled "Freq/Volt Control" cursor to highlight it & then press enter
            3- This will open a new BIOS titled "Frequency/Voltage Controls". Highlight "Memory Configure" and then "CPU Configuration". Let me know what these options offer to you once you press enter on each on in turn. The command Rate change option should be under the "Memory Configure" offered options after you highlight it & press enter. The options to change the RAM Command Rate should be there to. I would like to be more specific but the motherboard manual I have does not elaborate on these two BIOS options.

Investigate these and post your findings back,
            See U later...
            Corsair 1000 W
            LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
            Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

My bios does not have that option anywhere. I looked at the same online PDF manual you looked at on the EVGA website and it looks just like the paper copy I have here, I dont see where you found those instructions at because all I have for the BIOS in mine is 2 pages and nothing informative. Either way i tried to follow the steps you gave but I cant get past step to since I do not have that option. Along the tob tabs there is, Main, Advanced, Power, Securit, Boot, Exit

In neither of these do I see the option to change voltages or even get to a menu that says "frequency/voltage controls" In the advanced tabe under Hardware Health Configuration it shows the voltages I have right now but nowhere does it allow me to change it.

From the main page where you stated to look for the second item in the right hand column that says Freq/Volt Control, there is nothing. The only place that the word frequency is displayed is in the Advanced tab and it says DRAM frequency, but that is only to change the RAM from 800, 1607, 1333, and 1600 MHz.

Sorry im being such a n00b at this, but I am grateful for all this help you are providing.
              Windows 7 - 64bit
              DDR3 ADATA @ 1333mhz x 2

Comment

Hello Noe,

I double checked the download I add and it looks like I initially got the manual for the MB 132-LF-E655 vice the 120-LF-E650. I can now see the main BIOS page for your MB as well as the 6 upper tabs you referred to: MAIN. ADVANCED, POWER, SECURITY, BOOT and EXIT. Unfortunately the manual is skimpy and does not expand and show the BIOS options avail under the last five. Can you take a pictures of these and then post them to this threads. If that is not possible for you to do this please list the options and sub-options available under ADVANCED and POWER.

Meanwhile I will search the web to see if i can locate a video or some pictures depicting your BIOS pages and options.

Cheers....
                Corsair 1000 W
                LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
                Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

Hello again Noe,

My research on the eVGA forum reveals that the motherboard 120-LF-E650 is a motherboard designed to be used in a corporate work station. It is a good motherboard but it is designed to be used at very specific settings that cannot be altered through the BIOS interface.

Follow this link and look at last post which says: "...The mobo you have is for Corporate use as a workstation and does not have a BIOS which can be changed or updated." This link also refers to a RAM problem similar to yours.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=956618&high=e650

Next I found a second thread that ask for the difference between the E650 and the E651. Follow this link and look at the last post under "Edit" for "the 651 tr has a parallel port ,2 serial ports and supports ddr3 1600"

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=336608&high=e650

Also look at this third link and find post # 9 by geek 32. Look for this: "...core i3 runs fine on 650 and up (look at my sig) with no BIOS update needed to run after installation and you can SLI/CF the cards on that board @8x+8x pci-e speed. i would suggest you to buy a 652 board as this 650 don't have overclocking settings in the BIOS aside from date, time and boot settings not to mention you stuck at ddr3 1066mhz (not ddr3 1333mhz when installing ddr3 1600), some usb problems on devices attached and perhaps the only one without BIOS updates on its class."

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=213666&high=e650

In summary Noe it appears that your evga motherboard 120-LF-E650 cannot run the GSkill Ram that you would like to use. Recommend you post on the evga forum to confirm that my above findings are accurate. Some smart evga guru may know some work around. Meanwhile it looks like you will have to keep your old Adata RAM on board for a while longer.

Best regards,
                  Corsair 1000 W
                  LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
                  Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

TigerLi,

I really have to say that all the research that you have done for me and assisted me with is great. I actually took pictures and made an imageshak account and was going to send you the link for it, but guess it doesnt matter now. Thank you for everything that you have done, I think I am just going to go on www.crucial.com and let them scan my desktop and look for compatible ram. Hopefully that will work rather then getting some Gskills. Thanks again for all your help very much appreciated
                    Windows 7 - 64bit
                    DDR3 ADATA @ 1333mhz x 2

Comment

Noe,

The fact that you cannot boot and use your Gskill RAM sticks at 1600 MHz is not due to Gskill. It is due to the inherent design limitations built into your evga 120-LF-E650 motherboard and its BIOS by evga. That motherboard was built as a corporate work station component. It serves that purpose very well but it is restricted to using DDR3-1066 MHz and offers very few options that you can modify in BIOS. The old Adata Ram that you already own, operates at that speed already. There is no real need for you to buy new RAM sticks. Any newer Ram sticks clocked higher than DDR3-1066 MHz, they will either not boot or have to be clocked down to DDR3-1066 MHz no matter which company makes them.

You basically need to upgrade your motherboard to one that is capable to sustain RAM Speed of DDR3-1600 MHz or greater if you wish to attain higher speed. Your present motherboard is maxed out.

Make sure that you research thoroughly your next computer buy/built so that you do not acquire something that offers little flexibility and very restricted components upgrade options.

Good night,
                      Last edited by TigerLi; 09-05-2011, 09:53 PM.
                      Corsair 1000 W
                      LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
                      Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

Well I dont think that I want to purchase a new motherboard or computer build as this computer is only 1 year old. But when I scan my computer on crucial's website it shows me all the compatible RAM that I could buy. Are you saying that not all of the RAM they show are compatible? I am just looking to upgrade my RAM from 4 Gb to 8Gb. Do you think this isnt worth it?
                        Windows 7 - 64bit
                        DDR3 ADATA @ 1333mhz x 2

Comment

Hello again Noe,

The main restrictions on your present motherboard are that RAM speed is limited to DDR3-1066 MHz and that your BIOS does not allow you to manually adjust RAM timings and voltages Normally higher/looser on 4Gig modules. Furthermore 2x4 GB sticks normally required a little raise of CPU Vcore and Vtt voltages to stabilize them which your BIOS does not provide for.

Crucial is a reliable company but they are in the selling business. Get an unbiased third party to guide you. Go to evga forum first and post to see if anybody is successfully using 2x4 Gigs RAM sticks in a motherboard exactly like yours. Also ask if it can be done and remember that you have an E650 and not the 651 or 652 models. If you get a positive answer get the exact part number of whatever they are using and then buy it.

Good luck,
                          Corsair 1000 W
                          LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
                          Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

+ rep for TigerLi
                            Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 09-06-2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X