• F3-10666cl9d-8gbrl & asus m4a785td-v evo

My Build:

CPU
    Motherboard
    Video Card
    Old RAM
    New RAM

Description of Issues:

I acquired this PC back in 2010. When the old RAM was installed, it ran fine until a few months ago, that's when I got my first BSOD. If I remember correctly, it was "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL." After that, it turned into a variety of BSOD's that included one I received today after a week with the new RAM installed, "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION." After numerous fresh Win 7 (32/64 Bit) installs, on 4 separate HDD's (IDE & SATA), I was almost certain the old RAM was faulty (after all, they were only $28). So, i booted up Memtest86 v4.0 and tested each stick in each slot over the course a week. "Stick 1" gave me millions of errors in every slot that varied from a few minutes into testing, to hours in. "Stick 2" Gave me ZERO errors in slots A1, B1, A2 after hours of testing. slot B2 gave me millions of errors minutes into it.

So, assuming I had faulty RAM, I acquired new RAM (GSKILL) last week, and it's worked flawlessly... until today. I loaded up some Team Fortress 2 after working on my useless PowerPoint presentation for school, and after about 10 minutes, the PC just reboots on me. NO BSOD. After it loads back up, I give it a bit of time idle, and load TF2. 10-15 minutes in, I get a BSOD. "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION" My heart sinks, and I load up Memtest hoping for the best. About 37 minutes into it....I get a wall of errors.

The RAM was originally in slots A2+B2, so I moved them to A1+B1. Errors. I then moved them to A1+A2. Errors. Moved them on over to B1+B2. Errors. Now, I'm testing the RAM individually in each slot. So far, I have gotten errors in A2, and B2 with "Stick 1". I am going to continue testing, but I'm assuming it's going to continue the trend. I have to note that both the old and new RAM were given to me by a friend who apparently has his "A+ Certification." and told me I shouldn't be having this problem. After searching for about an hour, I have gotten mixed results about the new RAM being on the Qualified Vendor List for the motherboard. The GSkill website says no, but according to various forums, the list is outdated and updating your BIOS (which I have, latest version) should do it. I have come to the conclusion that the motherboard has bad slots. (I hope not)

I apologize for the wall of text, and thank you for any possible solutions.

You have the latest BIOS which is good, will want the sticks in slots 1-2 (closest to the CPU), set base timings to 9-9-9-24, DRAM voltage to 1.5, and CR (Command Rate or Command Timing) to 2N (may be on 1N by default), also may want to raise the CPU/NB voltage .05 to .07 and try that....if problems persist with GSkill sticks then try running memtest on each stick individually in slot 1....if no problems try Memtest with both in 1-2 and let us know how it goes
    Last edited by Tradesman; 08-25-2011, 06:47 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for replying, but I have an issue.

How am I supposed to change these settings, if the PC is not stable? I just tried a few times, and it crashes shortly after entering the bios.

Comment

Try booting up with a single stick in slot 1 and got to BIOS for the settings then add the other stick

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, I've made it into the Bios. I'm not too familiar with this procedure, but from search results, I was able to find this. Is it correct?

In BIOS goto Advanced, then Jumperfree.

Scroll down to Mem Clock Mode, change to MANUAL.

Set Mem Clock Value to 800MHz. (800 x 2 = 1600 ) Not sure on this part

Set DRAM Mode to BOTH (Dual Channel! )

Change TCL, TRCD, TRP and TRAS to 9-9-9-24, respectively.

You'll have to scroll down and set the timings twice (Dual Channel! )

Set Voltage to 1.8V (per Patriots website). This is will be adjusted to the setting you specified.

Exit and Save.

Comment

I've come across another problem. This motherboard does not have the option to set CR to 2T. Upon further research, I found a petition thread on the ASUS forums complaining about the lack of this option, and how it's affecting RAM. Is this a possibility to why my RAM isn't working? I have tried changing it on my desktop with AMD Overdrive, but it keeps reverting back to 1T.

As stated in my previous post, I am not familiar with setting timings, but came across a thread showing how to do it, and just wanted to make sure it's correct:

TCL = 9, TRCD = 9, TRP = 9, TRAS = 24, everything else AUTO. I am unsure what to set the memclock value to. 667Mhz? And I assume to set the voltage, it would be under the "Memory Overvoltage" setting? And lastly, I do not see a CPU/NB voltage setting. Settings available are: CPU/NB Frequency, CPU Overvoltage, VDDNB Overvoltage, CPU VDDA voltage.

You help is appreciated.

Comment

Not setting the Command Rate is perfectly fine. It will automatically adjust to 2T if necessary.

Memclock value is 667MHz. Yes, DRAM Voltage is Memory OverVoltage. CPU-NB Voltage is VDDNB OverVoltage.

For your memory, it should be plug and play. Test one at a time to see if one performs differently.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

What voltage exactly should i set my VDDNB to? It says increment = 0.00625v, but if i press + just once from auto, it goes to 0.87500.

I think my motherboard is faulty. What are the odds that the same exact problems happen with 2 different sets of RAM?

Comment

Try the VDDNB at 1.1 or so and take it up a click at a time, will prob need from 1.1 to 1.2 or around there

Tman

Comment

I have been unsuccessful after applying all the suggestions mentioned. I am almost certain the motherboard is at fault here. I have come across countless threads of complaints that the motherboard is incompatible with a lot of RAM. This has led me to believe the fact that the RAM I purchased is 2N (2T), and therefore causing the problems.

This thread here is a prime example of what I'm referring to. Is there any possible way to exchange the RAM for a compatible GSKILL set listed in that thread? Thank you for all the help you have given me.

Comment

I think you'll find all the GSkill sticks mentioned are for CR of 2N (2T), believe the Mushkin is also, if the CR is locked at 1N, you could try the timings at 10-9-9-24 w/ stock voltage, may still have to add a bit of voltage to the CPU/NB (as mentioned earlier, could also try at say 1066 or 1200 with timings of 9-9-9-24 or 9-8-8-24

Tman

Comment

Still no results, I really think it is the motherboard. I am applying all the suggested settings for both the GSKILL RAM, and the previous RAM with settings found on other forums.

Comment

The motherboard has long been a problem with the CR locked at 1 and while they've been notified apparently it's not high on their priority list, can check to see if there is a new BIOS update and play with it, in the meantime, I'll drop a note to GSkill to see if they have any new info that might help and hopefully they will check on this thread early Monday

Tman

Comment

Do you have any other memory to borrow or test with? This memory should be plug and play, so something is bad causing a problem.

You'll need to send the memory in for RMA, or motherboard, to see if that solves the problem. Or you could even send both and just start fresh. Again, with the latest BIOS, this memory should be plug and play, so something appears to be defective.

As far as command rate or timing, some AMD platforms may not have this option. Some also don't have the option for tRAS, but it is perfectly fine. It is designed to detect this value on its own, and use what it needs. So this is not the root cause of your problem.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

The memory might be plug and play, but not with this motherboard, I don't know why it keeps being mentioned. I have exhausted all possible solutions to my problems from both this forum, and others across the web.

There is a thread here that lists EXACTLY the problems I have, here. And his ONLY solution was to buy another brand, as well as other's who confirm that solution.

I have already RMA.

Comment

Working...
                              X