Need some opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some opinions

Hi all, I've been having some weird issues that I can't be sure are memory related. It's lengthy but I'm trying to explain what all I did and why it's so confusing.

Last December I bought an 8GB memory set for my HP dv7t Quad (Core i7 720QM) laptop, the memory model is F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ. Shortly after installing them I started to get a random BSOD for MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, but it is so rare and usually happens when I am away from the computer. The past month or so I have also been having my web browser random close quite often, sometimes 5 times in an hour (I use Palemoon/Firefox and it is constantly using over 500MB).

This week was dedicated to memory tests, I ran memtest86+ almost every evening in various configurations. I started with how it had been set up for months and I managed to get some errors in test 5 that were around 2000MB and 3000MB. The next step was to run each stick individually... no errors after 10 hours on each stick. I then put them both back in and ran the test again, no errors again. I then switched the sticks around and ran again, got errors in the same spots. I also tried using the standard memtest86 and the Windows Memory Diagnostic available on the Ultimate Boot CD, neither of which showed any errors at all with both sticks in. I also found MemTest 4.0 from HCI Designs that runs within windows, and it found an error in one of the 3 sessions but did not say where it was.

I have since put my original sticks into the laptop which were 1 2GB and 1 1GB stick from Samsung. Thus far (less than 12 hours) I have not had a single random browser close and no BSOD. I am wondering if the problem is the sticks themselves or dual channel being used(I assume dual channel only works if both sticks are the same size). I looked in the BIOS and can't find a way to disable dual channel, or any advanced BIOS options at all, and I do have the most recent BIOS from HP.

Does anyone have any opinions as to what I can try before trying a new set of memory? If it is related to the dual channel I'll just live with it and get mismatched sticks, not going to send it in under warranty for something easily by-passable.

Might try contacting HP and see if another BIOS upgrade is coming up and tell them the problem. This is one of the bad things w/ laptops where they basically lock the BIOS in large part to try and LOCK the users in to buting upgrades direct from them

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I will send them a message through their support, but I'm not hopeful. I checked their driver update downloads and the most recent was 12/2010, so it has hit end of life for HP I guess.

Comment

I sent HP a support message, but I haven't heard anything (no surprise there). I have been running the system on 6GB, one of the gskill sticks and the 2GB Samsung stick that came with it. It was running fine for a while, but I just suffered another BSOD, so I removed the 2GB stick and I have had the "Desktop Gadget" force close 2x on me in the past 3 hours since running on only one of the gskill sticks. The only thing I have left to try is using the original memory only, which I am more than welcome to do before claiming it is the gskill sticks causing all these issues. Is there a good possibility that I indeed do have a bad stick and should I ask for an RMA?

Thanks

Comment

Since last post I ran the laptop with the old memory and I didn't have one single blue screen. I installed the gskill ram last night and this morning when I woke up my computer I was greeted with a blue screen immediately following a browser crash.

Since I can't get any information out of HP (who woulda thought) my next course of action would be an RMA to see if it indeed was the ram causing the issue, is this correct?

Comment

Gskill should be in Monday and might have some info of your laptop, laptops can be hard to diagnose as most (like HP) have basically locked down BIOSs, so adjustments can't really be made, further HP and some others, often set things up specifically to ensure add on components pretty much have top come from them i.e. DRAM runs to specific settings (that aren't adjustable)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have a program called "PC Wizard 2010" that gives me a lot of information about many components. According to it my factory memory are Samsung PC3-10700 DDR3-1333 with timings of 9-9-9-25. I don't know if this info would be of any use, but there it is.

My last HP let me put in after market memory with no problems, but that was 5 years ago and a lot can change in the way a company does things in 5 years.

Comment

Could be a big part of it there, 1333 usually is designated as 10666 or 10600 (occasionally 10660) so the 10700 may be more or less specific to HP and like products, don't think I've ever seen 10700 at the Egg

Tman

Comment

On a few memory finders (such as Crucial's) they say that the 10600 is compatible. Unless gskill would be willing to do a trade for my memory through an RMA, is my only option to purchase a new 8GB kit? At least I wouldn't be out another $100, only $50 this time around.

Comment

Check with them, may want to contact ustech@gskillusa.com

Tman

Comment

Did you test one module at a time to see if one may be bad causing problems?

If both have the same exact issue, contact the RMA dept. to exchange for the 10600 model.

Sorry for the not so timely response. :x

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have tested one module at a time, and the results are inconclusive. After running the test for at least 8 hours (upwards of 16) sometimes I would get an error sometimes I wouldn't, and it would always be on test #5 using Memtest86+ (not sure which that one is at the moment). I have not had the opportunity to do a 24 hour test because this is my main computer and I need it for school.

Now, when I did run just one module during normal operation I would have the same constant browser crashes as I would when running both modules, but no BSODs (that I recall). Since running with the original memory modules I have had no browser crashes just browser hangs due to constantly running a high memory consumption (I can never keep my browser under 1GB memory consumption).

Because of the inconsistent test data I can't confirm that the memory is the problem or if it is a bios issue like Tradesman suggested early on. Being a laptop I am at the mercy of HP and their woefully limited bios settings.

Comment

Try another kit and see if they work better:

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                          X