Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 7 didn?t like 16Gb RAM

Hi.

I recently asembled my new machine with 8Gb RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 PC3-10666 8GB 2x4GB CL9). A week ago I decided to get more RAM as Photoshop uses to take some good amount of this and I got a new set of 8Gb. I thought I?d get the same pack but I bought a similar one, but not the same (G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 PC3-10666 8GB 2x4GB CL9).

Yesterday, when I mounted the new RAM I looked at the system properties and I found that Windows tells me that I have 16Gb of RAM installed but only 8Gb are available.

Some useful data of my machine:
    - Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E LX
    - Micro: Intel Socket 1156 - Intel Core I5 760 2.8Ghz
    - Graph Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 1GB GDDR5

...and the SO: Windows 7 64bits Professional

AFAIK the motherboard supports up to 16Gb installed and the BIOS is updated. My question is if the different type of RAM should/could be a problem here or there?s another issue to take into account.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Where is it saying 16 total and only 8 available? Also what actual sets do you have (model #s)?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

In "Control Panel" / System & security / System information. There?s a label called "Installed RAM" and the text reads "16Gb (8Gb usable)".

I?ve tried using msconfig/boot/Advanced unchecking the RAM option, but nothing happens. In fact, if I change the number and type it manually (the 16GB) the configuration isn?t saved at all. I?ve also re-updated the BIOS.

I have a set of two G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 PC3-10666 8GB 2x4GB CL9 (the first 8Gb pack), and I bought another pack of 8GB later (G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 PC3-10666 8GB 2x4GB CL9). The first pack was in the blue memory slots and the second in the black ones.

Comment

Also tried activating memory relocation in the BIOS with no luck at all. I?ve checked the voltage of the memories, and it is as suggested by G.Skill for this memory. The motherboard shouldn?t handle it without problem but I got nothing

It seems to me that the memory is there but no one is using it.

Any more ideas?

Comment

Try one stick of each kit, install two sticks only. It is possible that the two kits do not match and can not work together in the same system.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have the exact same problem!

I have the same problem. Under "Control Panel", then "System" it reads

Installed memory (RAM): 16 GB (8 GB usable)

My system is as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
            CPU: Intel socket 1156 i7-875k
            Memory: Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (2 RAM kits totalling 16gb)
            Graphics: XFX Nvidia 9800GT 512mb x 2 (SLI)

Bios is updated to the latest v2003 (not year, just number), and nothing is overclocked at all.

Just purchased the Gskill memory from Newegg. Previous memory was 4 x 2gb OCZ XMP Edition. The Gskill memory is recognized by my system much faster then the OCZ memory was.

The biggest difference is the fact that all my memory modules are the same.

Why is this happening and how can I correct it? I played around with bios settings too and still no luck. My intention with 16gb is to creat a RAM disk with the extra 8gb for my paging file to speed things up a little.

I've googled this problem and read many threads (that's how I found this one), but have not found anyone with a solution.

Comment

PCaz,

You'll want the latest BIOS, then first try enabling XMP and select the 1600 option, if that doesn't work may want to try raising the DRAM voltage + .05 (to 1.55)....if still problems try raising the (MC) Memory Controller voltage, may have to check your manual, not positive how they refer to it on your mobo, Generally these steps will clear up using two separate sets of DRAM, at times though even with the same model of sets you'll run into sets that won't play together.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Reseat the memory, make sure you press firmly on each end, especially the side that does not have a memory slot lock.

Check your CPU installation.

If you continue to have a problem, it is possible the two kits are not fully compatible.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Very strange that the BIOS would say usable memory 16gb, but then windows say that there is 16gb, but only 8gb usable.

For future reference, here is what I did to get it working correctly.

First: I reseated the modules twice without any affect either time.

Second: Then I pulled all the modules and figured out which ones were with which kit by serial numbers. I discovered that the modules from one kit were installed on DIMM_A1 and A2, while the other kit were installed on DIMM_B1 and B2.

I reinstalled both modules from one kit into the blue DIMM_A1 and B1 slots, and installed the other kit into the black DIMM_A2 and B2 slots. Could be just conincidence, but this is what ultimately worked.

Thanks for all the advice!

Phil

Comment

Glad to hear, not sure what could have caused that, maybe just one of the 'computer BUGS'

Tman

Comment

When mixing multiple kits, the minimum you can do is make sure each dual channel kit is installed in the same dual channel slots.

Each kit is tested, and guaranteed to work together. So the same kit can communicate welll with the other half of its pair. With dual channel, the signals bounce back and forth. If you use different modules, they won't communicate as well; this is why we must have full tested kits.

Lucky for you it is just missing capacity, but for some people the memory can be completely unstable and two new kits are needed to work properly.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

had the same problem...solved

Just wanted to add I had the very same issue. Already had 8gb 1333 red Ripjaws, and just added 8gb more. System showed 16gb, 8gb usable. Did some googling, no real solid easy-fix answers. So I went back in, pulled them all out to just put them back in again, hoping that just reseating them would do something - I heard that was a possibility. I just made sure each batch of 2 was in the same channel, and in fact switched their channels this time for the heck of it...like I said, just hoping it would magically work this time. Well it did.

One thing I noticed, although I thought I bought the exact same RAM, one kit's serial # ends in RL and one ends in XL. After a little searching I have read that only denotes a minor difference in the heat spreaders, which do in fact vary just a bit in appearance. So there you have it...don't give up hope on compatibility until you pop them out and back in. I hope this helps someone. G.SKILL rules.

Comment

RAM sticks, kits really do matter

Originally posted by PCaz View Post
                          Very strange that the BIOS would say usable memory 16gb, but then windows say that there is 16gb, but only 8gb usable.

For future reference, here is what I did to get it working correctly.

First: I reseated the modules twice without any affect either time.

Second: Then I pulled all the modules and figured out which ones were with which kit by serial numbers. I discovered that the modules from one kit were installed on DIMM_A1 and A2, while the other kit were installed on DIMM_B1 and B2.

I reinstalled both modules from one kit into the blue DIMM_A1 and B1 slots, and installed the other kit into the black DIMM_A2 and B2 slots. Could be just conincidence, but this is what ultimately worked.

Thanks for all the advice!

Phil
                          PCaz,
                          At this date I am sure you are no longer monitoring this thread, but you have really helped me.
                          I focused on your posts because in your Aug 08 post your described system is very similar to my setup.
                          A few weeks ago I happily upgraded the RAM on my system by installing four newly purchased identical DDR3 1600MHz 4GB sticks. I noticed only a few days ago the 16GB (8GB available) scenario.
                          Of course I was puzzled and began to search for answers; I came across this thread.
                          Your post of Aug 10 appealed to me as something I should try first; and am I glad I did!

As most of us know each packaged 'kit' typically consists of two sticks of RAM. I pulled my four 4GB sticks and examined the data printed on each stick. The data is identical in every way except for the serial number on each stick.
                          Based on the serial numbers it was quickly apparent which two sticks had been packaged together in each of the two 'kits'.
                          Following your lead I re-seated two similar SN sticks in the blue DIMM slots and the other two similar SN sticks in the dark grey DIMM slots; Voila! -Cntrl Pnl, System- now shows the full 16GBs up and running. I made no other changes to my setup.
                          Thank you, and I hope you see my post.
                          Captmcnet

Comment

Glad the thread was of help to you, and it's quite possible it's still being monitored, many folks sign up for email alerts to responses

Tman

Comment

No, I don't monitor this thread but I did get an email about your posting. I'm glad this thread is still around and helped you.

Comment

Working...
                              X