Two like kits / different bandwidths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two like kits / different bandwidths

Originally acquired 2 kits of F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL. With each package showing DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 4096MB x 2 CL9-9-9-24 1.5v.

Was having problems and running Memtest86+ determined that one stick in one of the kits was faulty. Unfortunately this was not determined until well after 30 days and thus, the kit was not replaced immediately by the retailer. However, the retailer did manage the RMA process for me and it was 6 weeks before I received a replacement kit. It seems they do their testing first to confirm the problem.

They confirmed the problem and a replacement kit was received Friday, June 17, 2011. The replacement kit had the identical labeling as shown above.

This time I decided to run Memtest86+ immediately. I placed the old kit in slots 1 (A1) and 2 (A2) and the new kit in slots 3 (B1) and 4 (B2). When Memtest86+ was run it showed that the modules in A1 and A2 were PC3-10600 while B1 and B2 were PC3-12800. I ran the test for approximately 4 hours? 2.5 passes and no errors were encountered.

I then rebooted the system and ran System Information for Windows and CPU-Z. Both apps confirmed the findings of Memtest86+ regarding the differences in the two kits.

In the BIOS settings, I did change from AUTO to X.M.P. and set the memory to PC3-1600.

So, the question becomes? do I have a problem with the old kit? If not, any suggestions as to how I can get the modules in sync with each other.

Cheers, Bob

Configuration:
    M/B: ASUS P8P67 Pro.B3
    BIOS: 1305 (Current available version 1606 is still Beta and I have not applied it)
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K running @ 3.4GHz
    RAM: Slots A1/A2 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (Mfg 2011 Jan)
    RAM: Slots B1/B2 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (Mfg 2011 May)
    Video: ASUS GTX 560
    O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit? fully patched.

Without the sticks in hand or access to info GSkill has, I'm guessing they may have changed the basic SPD base boot parameters from 1333 (the PC3-10600) setting to the 1600 in the different sets, this setting, which shows up in Win and in the 'max bandwidth' really have nothing to do with what that the sticks are but are settings with basic JEDEC timings to enable the sticks to boot in most any mobo. i.e. you crash or something these are the settings the system willlook to after the CMOS has been cleared to boot at

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your comments Tradesman.

I guess I'm just concerned that the two kits would be operating at different speeds which may or may not cause problems. There again, like other mismatched hardware perhaps the speed would be reduced to the lower of the two?

As an update, I did update my BIOS to 1606. No difference.

Thanks again.

Comment

If you load all the sticks, enable XMP and then set the speed to 1600, then take a look with CPU-Z in the memory tab, it will tell you what they are all running

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi Tman,

I had changed the BIOS to XMP and set the speed to 1600.

The Memory tab in CPU-Z shows 800MHz. In the SPD tab, Slots 1&2 shows the 667MHz under the max bandwidth while Slots 3 &4 shows 800MHz under the max bandwidth.

I was going to post attachments showing the CPU-Z results but notice that my profile doesn't allow that.

Not knowing the CPU-Z app that well, does the SPD display only reflect the capability of each of the sticks while the Memory display reflects the speed of each and every stick? Since the max bandwidth for the old kit in slots 1 & 2 is 667MHZ I don't see how they can be clocked to 800MHZ.

Thanks again...

Comment

One kit has 800MHz in SPD, whereas the other only has 667MHz. SPD table is settings the motherboard can use on AUTO. Either case, you do not use these values. You purchased the memory for XMP values. As a result, once you enable XMP, both kits are using the correct profile, so the inconsistency becomes fairly irrelevant.

The memory tab is current memory operating settings. So if the memory tab is showing ~800MHz 9-9-9-24, everything is ready to go.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the added information... I now feel "good-to-go"!

Bob

Comment

Glad to hear all is well!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X