Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Motherboards

Hi,

I'm purchase an i5-2500k along with a Gigabyte motherboard model #GA-Z68A-D3U-B3...
    I'm also trying to decide between the following memory...

F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM
    F3-12800CL7D-4GBXM

My first problem is that the website doesn't list my motherboard as being supported...
    Would any of the above work?

Will I notice enough difference between CL7 and CL8 to justify the addition expense of around $8 for 4GB's?... should I go for CL9 to save an additional $6??

I'm also trying to decide between 4GB and 8GB... I probably don't need 8GB, but I plan to have this system for awhile and I'm thinking maybe I should just buy it and be done with it... an 8GB kit is about $30 more than the 4GB. If I just go with 4GB now, and buy an additional 4GB in the future (if needed), does it matter to system performance whether 8GB is made-up of 2 or 4 sticks???

Thanks

Tom

A) All will work, the Ripjaws X line was designed for the P67 and it's derivatives the H67 and the Z68 (which is a combo of the P & H 67s.

B) 'Seeing' the difference depends on the individual and what you do with your system, I'd say yes it's worth it, the lower the CL the higher the performance, also with the lower CL say the 8, you have a better opportunity to OC the sticks if you so chose, i.e. with 1600/CL8 native, should probably be able to run 1866 or better at CL9. Also if you were to upgrade in the future the possibility of running the sticks at a higher frequency (speed) would give greater latitude in upgrading expenses.

C) I'd suggest the 2x4GB, which gives you 8 immediately and still leaves slots open for expansion to 16 (or possibly 12, would suggest 16)...if you were to simply go 2x2GB now, to expand, you'd be adding either 2x2 and maxing at 8GB or trying to add 2x4GB which could prove troublesome as mixing sets can be problematic, and adding a different set with different capacity can be even more troublesome (of course, it could go smooth as silk, but best to be aware of possible problems for the future)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman,

Thanks for the quick and clearly stated response...

Tom

Comment

No problem, hope it helped...let us know what you decide

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X