Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing settings of Ripjaws in BIOS...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing settings of Ripjaws in BIOS...?

Hello,

I should first announce that I am relatively new to building computers, so I apologize if I fail to give adequate information to help you guys assist me.

Anyways, my problem is that I purchased DDR3-1866 Ripjaws from g.skill, which have so far been working just fine. However, I noticed in my BIOS that the computer is picking them up default at 1600. My questions: Is changing it as simple as making it 1866 in the BIOS, or do I also have to make other changes as well? Furthermore, with my setup, should I even bother making them 1866, or would leaving them at 1600 be better for me? I ask because they are designed for Intel, not AMD, and they seem to be functioning fine right now, so I don't want to potentially create problems.

I am running:

Processor: AMD Phenom II 1100T 6-core black edition
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
    RAM: 2 x F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL (2 ram sticks, 4gb each)

Thank you for reading.

You might want to check and see if you have the latest BIOS first, but basically all you need do is go into the BIOS, then enable the XMP option, and select the 1866 speed. If any problems give a shout back

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

If you can set it at 1866 in the bios w/o overclocking the CPU clock, then go for it.
      However, it's doubtful because most boards will only go as high as 1600MHz with the CPU clock at default speed (200MHz).
      If that's the case, you will probably need a CPU clock around 230MHz to achieve 1866MHz.
      But keep in mind when you increase the CPU clock, you also increase the CPU, CPU/NB, HT Link, and of course the memory frequencies.
      Last edited by NemesisChild; 06-12-2011, 09:15 PM.
      AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
      Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
      ASUS Crosshair V Formula
      2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
      SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
      Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
      Corsair HX850W Modular
      Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
      2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Working...
      X