BSOD with 16GB of F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD with 16GB of F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH

I've been running 1 set of F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH since I bought my ASUS P8Z68-V Pro (BIOS 0501) at it's recommended timings of 7-8-7-24 @1.6v. It's been running perfectly, no issues which I can attribute to the memory. There have been some unexplained resets but I'm more likely to believe that's due to overclocking than memory.

Yesterday I bought another set of F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH to bring my total to 16GB. If I leave all memory related settings as-is, the system will not boot. I get a BSOD about 5 seconds into the boot. It flashes very quicktly but I believe it was an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I removed all 4 sticks and booted with only the newly purchased ones and ran some stress tests. No problem. They work fine. I then dropped the speed to DDR3-1333 and I was able to boot successfully but just endded up with a BSOD after the system had been running for less than a minute. I then enabled XMP (I had previously been running with all timings entered manually) and all memory related UEFI items set to Auto but still got a crash. I turned off XMP and set the timings to 9-9-9-24 @ 1.6v and it's now running perfectly.

So, my question: Does this memory need to run at 9-9-9-24 when using two sets of chips? Is there a way to get it to run in a 16 GB configuration at 7-8-7-24 with 4 sticks?

Thanks.

Looks as though you have a couple sets that just don't want to play nice a stock, which can happen and is why sticks are offered in a variety of capacity and quantity. Good news is, generally they can play together better at stock timings by raising the DRAM voltage and or th IMC voltage, might start by trying the DRAM up .05 to .1, then if still stability issues, raise the voltage to the MC (memory Controller), maybe .05 to start

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Try 8-8-8-24.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you both for the replies.

I tried upping the mem voltage to 1.65 but could not get 7-8-7-24 to work even at the raised voltage.

The 8-8-8-24 settings work well at stock voltage and I'm satisfied to stay at those settings.

Back in my happy place...

Comment

Glad to hear it, Enjoy!

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Problems persist

I'm going to have to re-open this...

Looks like my problems aren't all gone. I've been getting sporadic lockups which I couldn't explain. Maybe once per day or once in 2 days. I would also have games which push the hardware (Crysis 2 DX11, Fear3) crash after anywhere from 20 seconds to 5 minutes of play. I had no idea as to the cause because the rest of the system ran fine for the most part. I also got serveral KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE errors over a period of a week. Yesterday I pulled the second set of ram out (leaving me with the original 8GB) reset the timings and re-tested. Both games ran flawlessly (before this, Fear3 would always lock up... I could never get more than 1 minute of game time before the screen went black and I had to ctrl-alt-del out of it).

So, where now? Do I need to run the 16gigs at 9-9-9-24? Do I need to raise the voltage to 1.65 and continue to run at 8-8-8-24? What about the other timings apart from the 9-9-9-24? There are 3 pages of various other memory timings I can set. Do I need to set any of those?

Thanks.

Comment

Make sure you have the latest BIOS.

Did you test the other kit by itself to see if it is stable?

XMP should be stable for each kit.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

So obvious, wish I'd thought of it! Sure enough, if I run my old 8gb kit alone, no issues. If I run the new one alone, immediate BSOD before windows can even log in.

I did use the XMP profile, and I am running the latest BIOS.

Switching back to the original 8gig kit solves the problem. Looks like the memory is defective. I'll take it back to the store, hopefully they'll do an on-the-spot exchange for me.

Appreciate the help, thanks!

Comment

No problem! Hopefully the replacement kit works flawlessly with your original kit.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X