I think I purchased the wrong memory for my ASrock Z68 Extreme4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I purchased the wrong memory for my ASrock Z68 Extreme4

All I wanted was 8gb of ram, and opted for DDR3 1600 12800. I originally was going to get the pair of Ripjaws from Newegg that says they're designed for P67, but then changed motherboards.

That said, Newegg had a sale last week and I think as a result I purchased the wrong memory. When I look at my purchased items list, it shows that I purchased 2 separate packages of 4GB of Ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231313

I became concerned while reading the motherboard installation manual, when it started to talk about dual channel memory and how to install that. I immediately checked the packaging and online, and it looks like this is NOT dual channel memory?

As well, the packaging says: "Designed for Intel LGA1156 Platforms"; however, mine is LGA1155.

Both packages of memory are unopened, but I still think I'll end up paying a restocking fee to return the memory for a different option.

That being said, what is the best route for me to go for wanting 8gb of RAM in my ASrock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard, and an Intel Core i5 2500k?

I'm so bummed out about this... I was all excited to do this build tonite...

Dave

Hey. Don't hang me up on this, but i don't think its a problem with your memory, i still believe it's the same as if you buy two sets og 1x4gb og a set of 2x4gb, that they have the same options, i mean they will automatically run dual channel, just as if you had bought a set of two 2x4gb.
    When you buy a 2x4gb, i believe its just two of the 1x4gb that your recieving

Comment

that would be awesome.... I'm still wondering about the "designed for 1156", when my motherboard is LGA 1155 tho...

If anyone else can confirm if those individual sticks will run in dual channel too, that'd be great...

Thanks in advance

Dave

Comment

The Ripjaws should run fine...The X series was designed for the P67 and variants (H67, Z68) and might have run a little better but you should be good to go. A set of four sticks would have been preferable, simply as all four sticks would have been tested to work together, but again you should be fine...I'd plug them in, set it to XMP in the BIOS, set the speed and see how it goes. If any problem, give a shout, GSkill is off weeekends, but I;ll be in and out as usual through the weekend

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

ok, so even tho it says 'designed for 1156' I can still use them? Thing is, I have no problem sending them back for a different set of sticks.... And I've seen some on Newegg that do say 'designed for 1155', but then it goes on to say for P67 motherboards...

I just don't want to open the packaging if there's a better option for me... On the ASrock website, I have a hard time even decyphering their chart for compatible RAM to see what's what...

sorry for all my confusion

Comment

This is the pair I had selected back when I was going to buy a P67 motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-428-_-Product

I guess I just got confused when it said "designed for p67 motherboards" but I decided to get a Z68 instead. I think I'll exchange the RAM for the RipJawsX

Dave

Comment

No problem...they will run fine...load a pair, enable XMP set to 1600 and boot, then add second set and boot, as stated earlier, only problem you might encounter would be if the sets don't want to play together (very seldom) which can happen with any two separate sets, and generally can be taken care of w/ slight voltage adjustments

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I just tried searching for the above RAM model number on the ASrock website, and didn't find an exact match... I did find THIS tho:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0666CL9D-8GBXL

Since that's on the compatibility chart, should I opt for that instead? it's 1333... I thought maybe 1600 would be better, but not sure since it's not on the list... I just like to play it safe...

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  No problem...they will run fine...load a pair, enable XMP set to 1600 and boot, then add second set and boot, as stated earlier, only problem you might encounter would be if the sets don't want to play together (very seldom) which can happen with any two separate sets, and generally can be taken care of w/ slight voltage adjustments
                  Oh, I don't have two SETS of ram... ie. 2 sticks and 2 sticks... I just had two individual sticks of the ram... so 4 gb and 4gb... total 8gb

Comment

The sticks you have are fine, what goes on the DRAM QVL at both ASRock and Gskill are the sets that have been tested thus far, since it's a P67 (newer then the 1156) and the X series is designed for the 67 then priority is to get them tested first....but if check through the posts you'll finds tons of people running the sticks you have on 67s

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                      The sticks you have are fine, what goes on the DRAM QVL at both ASRock and Gskill are the sets that have been tested thus far, since it's a P67 (newer then the 1156) and the X series is designed for the 67 then priority is to get them tested first....but if check through the posts you'll finds tons of people running the sticks you have on 67s
                      That's the other thing, I originally was going to get a 67, but instead opted for Z68... still, same difference tho, right?

Do I put the ram sticks in the same color slots? i.e. both blue or both white, for dual channel mode?

Comment

Preferable will be 1-3 (the blue ones), and to a degree yes. the Z68 combines the capabilities of the P67 with those of the H67 (on board (CPU) graphics support) and adds the SSD support for cache speed up. If worried, open the packages carefully, they are resealable

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X