Wont boot with both sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wont boot with both sticks

Hope someone can help. I built a system from this combo.
    System will boot with either one of the memory sticks installed but just beeps and wont post or boot if the second stick is installed.

I see there are issues with am3 cpu's and 1333 memory. Not sure if this is causing my issue.

Any suggestions/guidance appreciated.

See above link for memory/cpu/motherboard specs.

Thanks!

Which slots are you trying? Have you tried reseating both sticks? Have you run memtest on each stick to ensure both are good? With that CPU yo may have to raise CPU/NB or possibly downclock the sticks to 1066

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

There are only two slots on the mb. Seating does not seem to be an issue. I have booted with either stick installed . As soon as I install the second stick, it just beeps.

I will try memtest to try and rule out the sticks being an issue.

I have tried setting the mem speed in the bios at 1333, 1066 and 800. It boots fine at all of them with one stick but not both.

I dont have any experience with OC'ing so I may need guidance RE raising voltages if that is needed.

Thanks for your help

Comment

I'll be back in in the AM and will take a look

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Appreciated.

I ran memtest86+ on the first stick and it did 17 passes error free. Second stick is being run now.

Question: The mb only has two memory slots. Should it be able to boot with one stick regardless of which slot its in? It will boot with a stick in slot one but if I move the stick to slot two, it just beeps the same way as when there are two sticks installed. Is that normal?

Comment

1st slot will be the primary, not positive if the BIOS is setup to boot from either/or....if second stick passes memtest OK, may want to try the set at 1066 and see if that works OK, if it does, you may have to OC the system to run at 1333, will take a closer look at the combo in a couple hours or so when I get back.

Tman

Comment

I tried setting them for slower speeds and get same result. Boots with one stick but not two.

Second stick is now on pass 7 with no errors so far.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? if so am leaning towards a bad mobo, they should run OK...could try cleaning the DIMM sockets, or maybe even raise DRAM voltage to 1.55 and add .07 or so to the CPU/NB ....but it not looking good.

Tman

Comment

There is only 1 bios for this board but the web shows a date of 2011/01/03 and my post screen shows a date of 12/24/2010?

One other thing. The board says it supports 1333 but with "(O.C.)". If I set the bios to auto, it seems to run the memory at 10600 unless I manually set it for 1333. Not sure if that would make a difference?

I will try the voltage changes you suggest.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Went into bios. For DDR3 Voltage, it has +0.1, +0.2 etc. So changing any of these would change the voltage to 1.6 or higher. I dont see a way to set it to 1.55?

For the cpu/nb, I have sections for "cpu nb vid control" and "cpu voltage control". Were you just referring to the first setting or both?

Edit 1: One last question. In bios, shows vcore at 1.4. Is that correct? Googling seems to show stock vcore as 1.3?

Edit 2: Also noticed this on gigabyte site "If you install AMD AM3 CPU on this motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM3 CPU will not be impacted."

Edit 3: Looks like its the MB. Tried a pair of F3-10600CL9D-4GBN from one of my other pc's and same result.

Looks like I will have to RMA the board.

Thanks for your help!!
                    Last edited by DGeorge; 06-11-2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

First you'll want to update the BIOS to the 2011/1/3 you found which may take care of the problems...
                      In the BIOS the speed should show as 1333 or 666 or 667 (which is 1333 when you factor it's double data rate) - the 10600 you show above, I'm guessing is from CPU-Z or similar program and is one of the specs for 1333 sticks.

Try the BIOS update first, regardless of any notes it may show, almost all BIOS updates also include updates that improve DRAM compatibility. See what flashing the BIOS does and check back w/ the results

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X