ram is arriving tomorrow, advice on how to quickly set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ram is arriving tomorrow, advice on how to quickly set up

ok so i have ordered 16gb worth of 2133 ddr3 ripjaws x, cas 9. Waiting for it, i have an asus p8p67 deluxe mobo, an i7 2600k and a noctua nh-d14.

this will be my first sandy bridge build, or intel build for that matter, meaning i am unfamiliar with intel bios terminology. and looking at pics and vids of the new bios i feel i will get confused.

so to save time, if i post this tonight someone hopefully will have replied tomorrow.

can you tell me exactly what i need to do to get my ram running at the rated speed from scratch.

do i need to start with 1 stick inserted and set timings etc? What voltages do i need to set?

i allready have windows installed on my hdd, can i keep that installation or will i need to install fresh?

thanks

Are the sticks a complete package of 4 sticks or two sets of two? Go ahead and put it together and add 2 of the sticks, boot into BIOS, enable XMP and set speed to 2133. Reboot into BIOS and check settings, if at 2133 and no errors during that boot, power down add the other two sticks and boot, hopefully should be good to go. If any problems, it may require slight voltage adjustments, so get back to us whether any problems or not if you would, I'll be in early in the AM and Gskill should be in most of the day Fri, I believe.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

it is two sets of 8gb. i know this is not recommended, however i was speaking with a guy from the retailer on its chat function on the website and he told be if they are not compatible together (i.e. because they are 2 diff kits) i can return them within 14 days. Sounds like a good deal to me. Otherwise id have to wait for the 16gb kit to be in stock. Seeing as the 8gb's are literally the exact same kit im hoping it will be fine.

so you are saying only put in two 4gb modules first? should i stress test this? Also what figure should i raise in the bios to get to 2133mhz as obviously that wont come as standard setting on the mobo, as i say im new to intel bios, on my amd mobo i just had to raise the fsb for example

Comment

Just an easy way to see if sticks appear OKAY initially, rather than going all four at once, if each two stick set works fine, then they are probably all good, then if problems with the four together can concentrate more on tweaking voltages to get them to play if needed rather than running each under memtest for a hour (or 2 or3 or 4 or... apiece)...just saves some time.....if you look at the serial numbers and they are consecutive or real close would also prob be indicative that they will be fine together (some production run)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

just want to say cheers for the support, the ram kits arrived, put 1 stick in to be safe and the correct settings were allready loaded in the p8p67 deluxe bios so i literally didnt have to touch anything, put the other 3 in and to my relief everything is working fine.

getting around 25k read/write/copy in everest, 7.9 windows experience.

i have even overclocked them a little bit to 2156 and seems to still be stable, not bad considering they were 2 different kits and i am using 16gb. suits me.

Comment

only getting a 7.9????? (LOL) glad to hear all is well....Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X