Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major problems with 8GB (4x2) kit with MSI P67A-G43 motherboard

Hello all,

Let me preface this by saying I'm pretty sure I've got 2 bad memory modules and intend to RMA them.

Built a new system recently:

Intel Core i5-2500k
    MSI P67A-G43 motherboard
    G.SKILL 8GB kit (F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR)
    XFX Radeon 6950
    Windows 7 x64

Not overclocking (at the moment) and all drivers up to date.

The system worked really well at first, but started to get the occasional blue screen in windows. The BSODs were not always the same thing so it was very hard to figure out what was really causing the problem. Made sure every driver for every device was completely up to date and the MSI motherboard bios was up to date as well, still got random blue screens. Could play Crysis 2 for example for hours on end, then get a blue screen reading forums on a website. The frequency of the crashes increased dramatically until my system was unusable. It got bad enough that the system couldn't boot without a BSOD even in safe mode.

Through testing I found it was memory related, but I wasn't sure if it was bad RAM, bad motherboard or incompatibility. Sounds like compatibility is not a problem with the current BIOS revision. I tried both sticks together in different slot combinations then tried one stick in different slots and then the other stick in different slots. No matter what, constant blue screens.

I brought the G.SKILL memory into my work office and popped it in a Dell system here - constant blue screens as well. Is that bad RAM or compatibility, I don't know...

So does this sound like bad RAM that I need to RMA? I just want to be sure I'm addressing the right problem so I can get a working system again!

Thanks for your help - sorry for the wall of text.

Send it in for RMA and the replacements should work better. Since you have the P67 chipset, you can even request the RipJaws X series since they are designed for optimum performance for your motherboard.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the reply and info.

I've requested an RMA# (already had the form filled out ready to go.) How do I ask for the Ripjaws X series for replacement? I want to make sure there's no confusion on either end of the RMA process.

Comment

Might just write a note and attach a copy of this thread and the note to the package of sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Write it on top of the RMA number on the RMA form. You should also tell the RMA dept through email.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X