Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI problem with ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3

Hi,

I am an experienced system builder and I take many precautions when installing new hardware. I built a system back in December with the (2 x 2gb) kit of F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI memory. Although configured for Intel systems, I read reviews it worked great for the AMD X6 processors, so I took a chance. All went well, latencies were as rated and I couldn't be happier.

I decided this past week to order another set to boost the memory to 8gb. So, I'd have 4 x 2gb. I turned off the power, unplugged power cable, and installed the memory in the other two available DRAM slots. I reconnect everything, power up, red DRAM light. I can't boot or see BIOS. I do my test of each stick of memory with each slot. Here is where I run into the problem. Suddenly, NEITHER stick of memory works now, including the ones that worked before.

I heard a possible solution was remove the CMOS. I did that, for about 2 hours.
    I used the MemOK! feature to run failsafe settings for all memory sticks in all configurations, still no results.

I am out of ideas except to try new memory and then try new mobo, but I can't believe that all 4 sticks of my memory are incompatible suddenly when the two I bought in December were working fantastically.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Last edited by TracerFox; 06-04-2011, 11:16 AM.

Might try cleaning contacts on a stick, and blowing out slot 1 then try it there.....I'd prob then try a different stick, if you have one or can borrow one. If it boots up, then try adding your sticks to check them....if the different stick does nothing, then could go the try different GPU, Different PSU...still nothing then your down to the mobo/CPU....can again try one or the other if you have one or can borrow one (I know that's a pain, but a lot cheaper than taking it to a shop)....

Let us know what happens and if we can help any more

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have a lot of parts laying around EXCEPT memory. I tried switching the GPU, PSU, and cleaning the memory and motherboard. I also unplugged other components such as the HDDs in hopes that would fix it. Still, no matter which memory stick or slot I immediately see a red DIMM light. It comes up immediately after pushing the power button, following CPU check light. Again, this happened right after adding two more sticks of the F3-12800CL6D memory. It was working fine before.

I thought about clearing the CMOS for an extended amount of time. I saw on other forums this could help.

Any other ideas? Seen this problem before?
      Last edited by TracerFox; 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Think best bet is still to borrow/beg a stick off somebody, only need it for a few minutes....or hit a store and buy a stick to test with, check their return policy first. Know anybody with a box running DDR3, can see if you can try a stick in their system to see if it's good

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK I tried two different types of memory, still getting DRAM light. I'm thinking motherboard is the problem.

Comment

Sounds like it, was hoping.....let us know what happens

Tman

Comment

I'm not so convincd that the mobo just decided to crap out at the same time you got two new sticks of memory.
              Is the newest set the exact same set that you've been running?
              Clear the CMOS by removing the battery and movng the mobo "short" jumper pin, both at the same time for at least 30 min.
              Please list the make & model of your CPU, PSU, and GPU.
              Have you considered the possibility of a short or grounding issue with your mobo?
              AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
              Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
              ASUS Crosshair V Formula
              2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
              SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
              Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
              Corsair HX850W Modular
              Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
              2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

It's the exact same set, different manufacture dates, these say MAY 2011 and the others say NOV 2010. I turned off computer, unplugged power, put in new sets, plugged power back in, booted computer, wouldn't boot and had DRAM error LED. I doubt its a short since it worked immediately before. I've taken everything out and am currently testing components outside of case. I put an RMA request in and will send the MB in for repair if problem still persists.

Comment

Sounds like the mobo if other DRAM didn't work, let us know what happens

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X