Sandy Bridge specific XMP profiles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy Bridge specific XMP profiles?

I see ASUS CSRs saying that there's RAM chips that don't have Sandy Bridge specific XMP profiles.

Is this true?

I have the blue/black Ripjaws, claiming they're optimized for Sandy Bridge, but they're failing to work in my ASUS P8P67-Evo (as they were in my MSI P67A-GD65 prior to a late BIOS update). Upon getting in contact with ASUS I've been told that they do not have a SB specific XMP profile and am being told to go through troubleshooting, trying a bunch of different settings to get them to work.

Now, due to my experience with the MSI board, the XMP profile set everything correctly, including the secondary timings. With the ASUS board however, only the DRAM voltage and primary timings are set; nothing else is changed. I don't believe that the ASUS board properly supports the memory, even though they're claiming it's the chips not properly supporting SB specific XMP profiles.

Just trying to get a clear grasp on things.

If you need more clarity, search my post history to find out what I've been experiencing.
    Last edited by DAOWAce; 05-31-2011, 06:13 AM. Reason: colors!

I'll check the previous posts and get back, may be in the early PM

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Here's what they say over on the ROG forums:

X.M.P: Extreme memory profile. Use this option if you have Sandy Bridge qualified XMP memory. X.M.P. profiles contain pre-sets for system buses and in some cases voltages. If the specified speed of the DIMMs is greater than the supported memory frequency of the platform, a platform specific X.M.P. profile option becomes mandatory because processor core and memory controller voltage requirements vary from architecture to architecture. High-speed enthusiast memory kits manufactured before the inception of the Sandybridge platform may not contain the necessary/adequate voltage offset settings for the system to be completely stable. In such instances, manual adjustments of memory controller voltage and memory timings may be necessary.
      All I'm really asking is if this is 1) True, and 2) if the Black memory kits (SB specific) have this 'qualified SB XMP profile' thing they talk about.

Comment

1) Yes
        2) What black memory kits? All RipJaws X has the proper XMP Profile for P67/H67/Z68 motherboards.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Okay, so I don't have to listen to them telling me my kit doesn't have a proper XMP.

Kit: F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH

Comment

Definitely not. I don't understand how they can even say that. Our RipJaws X is clearly for P67 motherboards, and we have thoroughly tested them on all motherboards especially from ASUS.

With any RipJaws X kit, you only need to enable XMP and everything should be ready to go. Even the DDR3-2133+ kits should be perfectly stable.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well, after all the troubleshooting I did, the CSR said he would get in contact with techs at G.Skill to inquire about the memory. This was also after I linked him posts on MSI's forum about the UEFI updates they had released to solve the issue with my specific kit.

The difference between ASUS and MSI seems to be that ASUS is more ignorant about their motherboard issues. MSI is still working on resolving memory issues from different vendors. Seems most of my anger towards them was misplaced.

Anyway, we'll see how things go.. hopefully they have a UEFI update within the next few weeks. Not liking the downgrade after my board swap..

Comment

Both of them are having trouble w/ high performance DRAM, think MSI is concentrating more on the power loop and voltage regulating issues they have across the board on the P67 mobos.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yea, they weren't too happy when we made posts about "problems" with their motherboard. But hey, issues need to be resolved. If the customer is paying hard earned money for it, it better work like it should. Confronting our issues is something everyone has to deal with. Life.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X