P8P67 and F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P8P67 and F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

I've just built a new system and am experiencing a weird hard-freezing issue. The system will randomly lock up completely for no obvious reason (does so whilst idle or loaded).

With a GTX 460 card in, the display goes completely blank and the monitor goes into standby. When I press reset, the motherboard sounds the "no VGA" beeps. Normally it comes back after a cold reboot, but on one occassion I had to leave it an hour or so before it would come back. When I tried with a friend's GT 260 and an ancient 8600, the freezes still occur, but the screen remains on, so that rules out the graphics card. The system comes back fine with that card in after pressing reset.

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 (B3 revision)

CPU: Intel i7-2600

RAM: G.Skill RipJawsX 2x4GB 1600MHz (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - it's not listed in Asus' s QVL, but you state it's compatible)

Tried it with each RAM stick removed to no avail. memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostic both came up clear, though it'd be very odd if both RAM sticks developed the exact same fault at the same time. There's nothing in Event Viewer, nor does swapping the PSU make any difference. I don't have another CPU to test, though, but CPUs normally don't break like that, do they?

The problem occurs if I run XP or Windows 7, but doesn't occur when I tried Linux (although I got messages stating "irq 16: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)", which there doesn't seem to be any documentation about).

To be honest, I'm completely stumped. Should I try a different brand of RAM? How likely is it that it's actually a motherboard or CPU problem?

Do you have the latest BIOS? With the sticks testing good, would look at the voltage settings and the GPU, do you have the latest drivers for the graphics card or have you tried a beta if available? Could also check for latest chipset drivers. Another thing might be to increase DRAM voltage slightly in case not pulling true, maybe .05 to check.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Do you have the latest BIOS? With the sticks testing good, would look at the voltage settings and the GPU, do you have the latest drivers for the graphics card or have you tried a beta if available? Could also check for latest chipset drivers. Another thing might be to increase DRAM voltage slightly in case not pulling true, maybe .05 to check.
      Yeah, I'm running the latest BIOS and chipset drivers. I've no idea where to find beta nVidia drivers.

I'll try bumping up the voltage slightly.

Comment

For current, beta and even old nVidia drivers could check

WWW.GURU3D.COM

a very useful site

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Similar issue with ASUS P8H67-M EVO

This issue almost describes to a tee exactly what I am expieriencing.
          I have an ASUS P8H67-M EVO B3 stepping mobo, and a core i5-2500 CPU. I am using the built in Intel graphics. I use the G-Skill F3-10666CL7D-4GBXH matched dual channel 2GB DDR3 DIMMs. Similar issue, the system randomly freezes regardless of load. The only clues I have is one in 10 times I get a BSOD which Event Viewer indicates "likely a hardware issue". I originally had B2 stepping mobo, and issue occurred more often then.
          I have the latest drivers for everything, and the latest BIOS.
          I use the BIOS XMP configuration settings, and the settings 7-7-7-21 look correct as read by CPU (though I do not know what the secondary timing should be -- no information on the DDR3 configuration forum).
          I do run my system in a RAID 1 (mirroring) configuration.
          Any suggstions on what I can do to fix this random lockup issue?

Comment

Test one at a time with XMP enabled and see if one may contain errors causing your instability.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

F3-10666CL7D update

Ok, this took some time because I wanted to make sure, but, yes, when I try each module individually in the same DIMM slot, one works reliably (ran for 1.5 weeks without problems), and the second module has failures (2 unexpected power offs) in the span of two days.

Comment

Sounds like a bad stick - can get info on RMAs at:

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

and contact them via RMA@gskillusa.com or world at rma@gskill.com

if it's within your return grace period could exchange through your e/re-tailer

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X