Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASROCK Z68 extreme4

Hi there,

I am working up a new build using an Asrock z68 extreme4 motherboard, an i7-2600K CPU and 16GB of RAM (850W PS, nVidia 570/580 series graphics card, if that matters). Planning to do some overclocking but not trying to reach 5GHz on air!

The question I have is, "which RAM?"

The Asrock website lists only the F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 and F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH as compatible memory. The G.SKILL website says that, in addition to the above RAM, several other RAM modules are qualified for the Z68 extreme4, including: the F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR, F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL, F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL and F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH, etc.

G.SKILL's RAM configurator doesn't list Asrock's Z68 motherboards at all.

So my questions are as follows:
    1) Will 2 sets of CL9D-8GBSR2's (4x4GB) work or will there be compatibility issues?
    Should I go with, presumably, matched 4x4GB modules instead?
    2) Same question for the -8GBSR and the CL7D-8GBXH.
    3) Some of the modules require 1.65V (the XH series). I've read that the max voltage
    spec'd by Intel is something like 1.58V. For reliability sake, should I stick to the 1.25
    or 1.5V modules.
    4) What is the difference between the RL and XL series? Both are listed as being
    compatible with the extreme4 (on G.SKILL's memory list).

Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to build a system that will fire up/run reliably.

Thanks.

I'd suggest sticking w/ 1.5 sets, either the Snipers or the RipjawsX....it's preferred to go with a 16GB set to ensure the sticks have all been tested to work together. If you need to go with a pair of 8GB sets, there's no guarantee they will work together, but I know I've done it a few times with no problems using the Snipers (in various flavors 1333, 1600 and 1866). The regular Ripjaws came out as a multidimensional line of DRAM for both AMD and INtel, the RipjawsX is geared more specifically to the P67 chipsets and it's variants i.e. H67, Z68 etc. With the Snipers I've found them to work with most everything with no problem (though tha's true of both the Ripjaws and RipjawsX also) Depending on what you decide the Snipers 2x4GB 1600 1.5 are on sale at the Egg this weekend for $75.99 per set with promo code EMCKEHC23, which as they say is an EGGcelent Buy.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      I'd suggest sticking w/ 1.5 sets, either the Snipers or the RipjawsX....it's preferred to go with a 16GB set to ensure the sticks have all been tested to work together. If you need to go with a pair of 8GB sets, there's no guarantee they will work together, but I know I've done it a few times with no problems using the Snipers (in various flavors 1333, 1600 and 1866). The regular Ripjaws came out as a multidimensional line of DRAM for both AMD and INtel, the RipjawsX is geared more specifically to the P67 chipsets and it's variants i.e. H67, Z68 etc. With the Snipers I've found them to work with most everything with no problem (though tha's true of both the Ripjaws and RipjawsX also) Depending on what you decide the Snipers 2x4GB 1600 1.5 are on sale at the Egg this weekend for $75.99 per set with promo code EMCKEHC23, which as they say is an EGGcelent Buy.

Trademan,

Thanks for the quick and informative response and I hope I can ask for a bit more advice.

Looking at Newegg, I can see the following 16GB sets:
      F3-12800-CL9Q-16GBRL - $200
      F3-12800-CL9Q-16GBXL - $190

I think I will go with the XL's as they are specifically intended for Z68's, but please let me know if the RL's are a better choice. The $10 difference isn't meaningful.

I'm still curious about the 1.25V SR2's. Is the lower voltage just intended for cost savings, vis-a-vis power consumption? (Doesn't seem that it would make any real difference). Or is it that the voltage can be upped more, without going over 1.58V, to achieve stability.

Thanks again for your response.

Comment

Think the compatability is just slightly better w/ the X series, which may provide for a little higher performance gain if you wish to play.

Believe the 1.25 Snipers are for both cost savings and possible performance tweaking, but to be honest I've yet to have the chance to play w/ any, and unless a customer of mine were to specify them it may be awhile. I've been thrilled with the Snipers I have had/used 1333, 1600 and 1866. The 1333's got me hooked I was able to run them native at 1333 with 7-7-7-21 and got them up over 1600 w/ CL9. Have really just started playing with the 1866's (have a new mobo on the way, went through 2 defective MSI GD55s, one with the power loop problem, and the current one has power regulation issues

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Think the compatability is just slightly better w/ the X series, which may provide for a little higher performance gain if you wish to play.

Believe the 1.25 Snipers are for both cost savings and possible performance tweaking, but to be honest I've yet to have the chance to play w/ any, and unless a customer of mine were to specify them it may be awhile. I've been thrilled with the Snipers I have had/used 1333, 1600 and 1866. The 1333's got me hooked I was able to run them native at 1333 with 7-7-7-21 and got them up over 1600 w/ CL9. Have really just started playing with the 1866's (have a new mobo on the way, went through 2 defective MSI GD55s, one with the power loop problem, and the current one has power regulation issues
          Trademan,

Thanks again for your comments; I appreciate it.

Right now, the Extreme4 is sold out at Newegg. Once they have them back in stock I'll go ahead and make my final choice as to RAM and will report back to the board on how the build went.

Thanks again.

Comment

Be looking forward to hearing it, if at all interested in the 1.5 Snipers, the 1600s are on sale this weekend for $75.99 per 2x4GB set, that would be your 16GB for $ 151.98 (it's a promotion code thing, code is EMCKEHC23........can be seen here:

http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail...E0-_-Up50#Up50

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X