Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
    GSkill Tech,
    Just sort of wondering what basis you use for your tRFC settings, do you use the stock formula or does GSkill have a specific in-house formula you all follow. I've never gone beyond 62-64 when using 2GB sticks (and those were odd ball cases). I've gone into the 70s and 80s with 4GB sticks, but never 2G. I've generally seen performance taking a hit with settings this high, but if you all are doing something special with how the advanced timings work with your RAM, I (am I'm sure others) would appreciate any info you guys could provide to help all of us out here. Am always interested in learning the new tweaks available.
    SPD TRFC / MHz formula. it is a SPD program. i believe it is also parts of Jedec standard formul. same thing as why increases CAS. different chip and run differnt TRFC not need to follow the rule. like micron d9gmh can down to 26 at DDR2 800 but samsung can only do 38 lowest

Comment

Well, I tried a lot of settings last night and originally thought I was able to get the system to stick at 1.5V DRAM and 1.2V QPI with the tRFC still at 60. This setting also cleared all of the overvoltage LEDs. I come to find today that my system doesn't seem to agree with me. Ran memtest+ and got 12 errors. So, I figured it would be worth trying to lower the tRFC to 54 (I know you said 56, but for some reason 54 was sticking in my head at the time) - No such luck. Even going back to auto settings resulted in BSOD - which is odd since the second go around at this setting in memtest+ produced a pass with no errors.

I've now switched to 1.54V DRAM and 1.24V QPI and it's started it up with no overvoltage LEDs. We'll see how long it lasts. I plan on running memtest+ again in the morning to see what happens.

So, with tFRC I assume I want get stable with voltages first, before I try tweaking this setting? It sounds like a proper tFRC setting will maximize performance (assuming it's in a respectable range to begin with), but won't necessarily ensure system stability. Am I correct in saying that?

This 1600MHz business is frustrating as hell. Whatever happened to plug-n-play???? I suppose this type of stuff comes with the territory of having brand new components made under brand new architectures.

I'll report back on stability once I get a bit more time into the setting. Thanks again.

Comment

Update: 1.54V DRAM and 1.24V QPI just crashed Vista after some file transfers. I'm at a loss now. Going down or up in QPI causes BSOD or failure to even load Windows. If I drop DRAM back to 1.5 then it puts me back in the same boat as a couple days ago.

I have no idea what to tweak at this point. I can't figure out why it's so hard to get memory that's rated at 1600 and a board that can accept 2100+ memory to run stable and error free.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by DeaconFrost View Post
          Update: 1.54V DRAM and 1.24V QPI just crashed Vista after some file transfers. I'm at a loss now. Going down or up in QPI causes BSOD or failure to even load Windows. If I drop DRAM back to 1.5 then it puts me back in the same boat as a couple days ago.

I have no idea what to tweak at this point. I can't figure out why it's so hard to get memory that's rated at 1600 and a board that can accept 2100+ memory to run stable and error free.

Any thoughts?
          just want to double check, you do have the lastest bios right?

Comment

You bet - currently on F7.

Comment

You bet - currently on F7.
              try trfc 74?

Comment

Can try the higher tRFC and go up or down in small increments. COuld also try relaxing the timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Took another poster's advice on a different forum to change the timings to Auto and it worked great! I had to modify the DRAM (1.54v) and QPI (1.24v) a bit, but Auto settings on the timings were definitely the right ticket. Memtest86+ passed with flying colors too!

It's been stable all weekend! I think it's safe to call this issue closed. Thanks to everyone who posted. You've been a big help.

Comment

Glad to hear it, Have a gud 1 !

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Took another poster's advice on a different forum to change the timings to Auto and it worked great! I had to modify the DRAM (1.54v) and QPI (1.24v) a bit, but Auto settings on the timings were definitely the right ticket. Memtest86+ passed with flying colors too!

It's been stable all weekend! I think it's safe to call this issue closed. Thanks to everyone who posted. You've been a big help.

we're glad to hear auto timing could solve this issue
                      thanks for sharing

G.S

Comment

I suppose I spoke to soon.

So I had a weekend of "apparently" error free usage with some medium CPU and multi-tasking load (photoshop, torrents, etc.). Everything was working great until last night. Tried doing some file splitting with an 8gb file and the system took a major dump. Had a string of BSODs and a couple of hard freezes. Tried going 0.02 +/- in the QPI to no avail.

Which leads me to my next question: Is it possible that there's something bigger at work here - bad memory, Vista issues, faulty hardware, new architecture limitations / early revisions? Is it possible I would still have memory issues after a solid weekend of seemingly stable use?

If it still sounds like it's still the memory then I'm starting to think that 1600MHz just isn't possible with 12gb. I figure the only choice is to move to trying 1333MHz - a crappy compromise IMO, but I feel I'm out of options.

So any any other suggestions for 1600MHz before I abandon this quest and shift to 1333? Any advice on switching to 1333?

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

well, i suggest you to do those
                          1. remove 3 sticks and leave it at DDR3 1600.
                          2. run a while to see any problem or not.
                          3. change to other 3 sticks that you removed still test at DDR3 1600
                          4. run a while to see any problem
                          5. if both of them no problem, install all 6 sticks back
                          6. go into bios and change to DDR3 1333
                          7. run it a while and see there is any problem or not.
                          8. if no problem, increase the FSB / BCLK slowly and memory speed will increase too
                          9. try DDR3 1500 and see any problem or not.

finally you will hit a sweet spot for 12GB memory while your CPU is a bit overclock too.

Comment

You can try the steps GSkill has described above or if you are open to getting new RAM and want 1600 you might at the OCZ and Corsair 12GB kits. THey are tested as a complet 12 GB set. If Gskill offered such a set I would probably also recommend them (after I had tested/used a set or two). I have been ecouraging Gskill towards 8-12 GB set for some time now. 64bit computing is so common place these days, the larger stes are almost a requirement.

Also, depending on where you got your RAM they might be open to an exchange, based on the failure of the RAM to run together at 1600

Tman

Comment

no matter whether you would go for OCZ or COrsair 12GB set, please remember to notice the temp
                              the temp would be very high when 6 slots are all occupied

G.S

Comment

Working...
                              X