Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sniper pb: heatsink falling off the stick!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper pb: heatsink falling off the stick!!!

Hi all,

I just bought a brand new triple kit of 12Go (3x4Go) Sniper Extreme CAS7.
    I'm running them at their certified value (1600Mhz, 1.6V, 7-8-7-24).
    After only 3 days I heard a metallic noise in my PC case.

I opened it and found 2 of the heatsink at the bottom of the case! Only the stick plugged in the center slot has its heatskink in place still.

Here is some pictures:

As you can see the tape is still on the heatsink but it seems not strong enough to keep itselft stuck to the memory chips.

It is a global design issue???

Thank you.

R.

I will get an exchange from my retailer but how can I be sure this doesn't affect a whole production serie? I can't take the risk that the heatsink fall during the night without me noticing it!

Comment

We will look into this, it is probably just an isolated case.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you for your answer.

I hope this is an isolated case but I have to admit it is quite hard to believe since it affected 2 sticks. I guess the first heatsink fall cause the second one but how could be the chance that I have two defectus sticks in the same package?

Do you guys changed the way you mount and stick the heatsink to the memory chips for this new series? Did you have a new adhesive tape provider?

Comment

Difficult to say, the manufacturing dept. is at another location, so I have limited information. Most likely they were just not stuck on correctly. Are the adhesives even sticky? Maybe they did not remove the protector so it is not even sticky?

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Not sure where yo got them, but I've seen cases where the sticks were left in extreme heat during shipping or while at a location and the adhesive was affected (I'm in Arizona and had UPS leave a box on my porch one day while I was out working, got up to 100+ and had loose sinks on both sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Difficult to say, the manufacturing dept. is at another location, so I have limited information. Most likely they were just not stuck on correctly. Are the adhesives even sticky? Maybe they did not remove the protector so it is not even sticky?
              The protector was removed since the adhesives were a bit sticky... but yes, just a BIT, by touching them I was really suprised and I felt like they were not strong enough to stay in place. It felt like an old tape that has been to much longer in air contact. Do you know what I mean?

Not sure where yo got them, but I've seen cases where the sticks were left in extreme heat during shipping or while at a location and the adhesive was affected (I'm in Arizona and had UPS leave a box on my porch one day while I was out working, got up to 100+ and had loose sinks on both sticks
              I ordered them at a french online retailer. Even if it is quite warm here these days I don't think this is high enough to affect the adhesive which is supposed to support way higher temperature coming from the memory chips.

Comment

Well, my retailer who was supposed to exchange the product by a new one just told me that they will send the faulty RAM to GSkill for analysis and that this will take 5 weeks!

I just asked them to send me back my RAM and I'm gonna remove the heatsinks to replace them by some Arctic Cooling RC Pro :

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/others/27/rc-pro.html

At least they are screwed so it can't come off the sticks.

Comment

Working...
                X