Inquiry about Gskill RAM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquiry about Gskill RAM.

Hello, I am a bit new to computer modding, so I may lack some or most of the knowledge of all the people here, I have read most of the questions regarding my issue, but none seem to answer it fully, so I am making a new thread.

I hope someone can answer most of my questions, and I apologize for the ignorance.

1. What are RAM Timings and what do they do?
    2. What's the difference between 10600 and 12800 gskill products?
    3. I have a ASUS M4A785TD V- EVO mobo, and a Phenom II X2 3.2g processor, what would be the best choice in terms of ram (8g and above?)? I know there's a configurator on the main site, but I would like to get some of the newer gskill products.

I personally love Gskill products and now that I have an OK computer, I would absolutely love to learn more about them and own some.

Thank you so much for just paying attention to this post, and again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge.
    Last edited by RazorHedge; 05-15-2011, 01:24 PM. Reason: Edited Mobo name.

Memory timings and such can be easily googled, it's the way I learned how to configure bios settings.
    (PC3-10600 = 1333MHz) and (PC3-12800 = 1600MHz), this is the memory's rated frequency/speed.
    8GB is all that most modern home PC's will ever need, consider 2x4GB modules.
    Running 4x2GB modules (with all dimms populated) can put tremendous stress on the AMD Phenom IMC.

IMC = Internal Memory Controller, which is imbedded into all AMD Phenom CPU's.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
    Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
    SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HX850W Modular
    Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
    2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Excellent, that narrows it down, I actually googled the timings right after I wrote the post and learned quite some, so kudos to me for that.

So, basically, I'd be looking for a PC3-12800 8gb (4gbx2). Compatible with an am3 cpu.

Which model would you recommend?

Comment

If you want 2x4GB 1600 might look at any of the Ripjaws/RipjawsX lines or the Snipers (1.5), not sure how well the EVO does with low voltage like the ECOs (1.35) or the newer Snipers(1.25)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

If my mobo has problems with low voltage RAM, is it a fix if I increase the ram voltage in the bios?

If not, should I try it anyway?

There's a similar thread with someone having trouble with specs similar as mine. But as soon as I know for sure that my ram can work well, I'll order it.

Comment

Stick with the 1.50v RipjawsX, they run nicely on AM3 systems.
            I own two sets, one in this comp, and another in my backup comp, they run stable and perform flawlessly.
            The 1.35v ECO modules (and new 1.25v Snipers) can be hit or miss on AM3 platforms.
            ASUS Crosshair V Formula
            Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Okay, so looking around the ripjawsX series, 12800 and 14900, seems none are compatible with my mobo, as most of em seem to be designed for intel processors, not sure if the socket would work.

May I ask for an exact suggestion?

P.S: Sorry if I'm too annoying.

Comment

Yeah, all of the RipjawsX were designed for Intel platforms, but that really means nothing.
                It basically implies that they were tested on Intel motherboards, nothing more.
                For the most part, memory is memory and should run on both AMD & Intel systems.

Here is the set I'm running in my main comp:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231455

And this set in my backup comp:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231445
                ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Awesome, so would both or any of those run with my mobo w/o any problems?

If so, I'ma order em right away!

Thanks a lot for your patience.

Comment

Which Phenom II are you running?

Both sets should run fine on your ASUS mobo and with your Phenom II.
                    The 14900 set allows for more overclocking headroom and of course has a higher default speed.
                    You can actually downclock this set to 1600MHz with CL8 timings if so desired.
                    But at $99.99, the 1600 RipjawsX set with CL8 timings is a bargin.
                    They were listed at a higher price when I bought this 1600 set, but used a promo discount.
                    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                    Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

I'm running on a phenom II X2 555.

With only 25 bucks difference, is it actually worth getting the 14900 and downclocking it to CL8? Since I'm OCing the CPU to 4Ghz atm (but for some reason I can't core unlock it. =/)
                      I think 1866 would give me better performance, do you think the same?

I seem to be extremely annoying it seems. Truly sorry for this.

Comment

lol, no your not annoying, this is how we learn and I enjoy helping others.
                        Remember those extra two cores were locked for a reason, so it's hit or miss with unlocking them.
                        Here's the deal, you may not be able to run stable above 1600Mz with your 555.
                        The same holds true with the C3 Debab X4 chips because of their IMC design.
                        Much different story with the Thuban (X6) CPU's, they have a much stronger IMC.
                        These CPU's can run 2000MHz+ memory on a 24/7 basis w/o breaking a sweat.

So just keep in mind that you may not be able to run at 1866MHz with your 555.
                        But then you have the ability to downlock them at 1600 with CL8 timings.
                        So yeah, I agree, the 14900 Ripjaws set would be worth it for the extra money.
                        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                        Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Cool, I was actually thinking about upgrading to a Thuban a while later, so the 1866 will do me good for a long time. Thank you very much for your patience.

Hope to see you again when I'm having trouble setting it up lol. Haha.

Comment

Working...
                          X