Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P8P67 WS Revolution and F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD

Hi everyone,

Just finished building my new rig tonight and was excited to press that power button. Well, I was, until the second after I pressed the power button.

Motherboard:
    Asus P8P67 WS Revolution: LGA 1155, Intel P67 Express

Processor:
    Intel Core i7-2600K: 3.4 GHz-3.8 GHz, 8 MB Cache

Memory:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD

Graphics:
    2 x MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

System Drive:
    2 x A-Data S599 128 GB, SATA 6Gb/s SSD (RAID 0)

Storage Drive:
    2 x Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1 TB, 7200 RPM HDD (RAID 0)

Optical:
    Lite-On iHBS212 BD-RE: 12x BD-R, 16x DVD?R, 48x CD-R

Case:
    CORSAIR Graphite Series 600T (with new Corsair 600T mesh side panel)

Power:
    CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W

CPU Cooler:
    CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

So my problem. The computer will not POST, I get no BIOS, no mouse, no keyboard, nothing...just a turned on computer. Upon further inspection, I see that the blue LED next to the MemOK button is lit. I looked it up in the motherboard manual, and see that this tells of memory problems. I also plugged in the Diagnostic module, and it halts at 32 (early CPU initialization) every time. Again, leads me to believe memory problems.

So to troubleshoot I have:

Checked all power connections, double checked, triple checked. Cussed at them.
    Reseated the memory. Twice.
    Tried a single stick.
    Tried the other stick.
    Tried the first stick in every slot, powering on and off in between.
    Tried the second stick in every slot powering on and off in between.
    Ran the MemOK button diagnostics multiple times, to no avail. LED still lit. Nothing POST's.
    Tried resetting the CMOS just for the hell of it, did not help.

I have no other DDR3 ram around to test the board

So this leads me to believe:

1. I bought the wrong memory for my board. I do not see my specific model on the list, but it has various other similar models (up to 2400mhz). If this is true, what is the BEST memory that is COMPATIBLE with my motherboard? I also hope this is true, as it will be the easiest fix.

2. The memory is bad. Again, not the end of the world. RMA, good to go.

3. The motherboard is bad. Worst nightmare ever. This will be a HUGE pain in my *** so please tell me that 1 or 2 is right.

Any ideas? Did i miss any steps in the troubleshooting process?

Thanks!!!

-SF

THX for your reply in my post.

From what I read in your post
    I also plugged in the Diagnostic module, and it halts at 32 (early CPU initialization) every time.
    I would gather you've got a problem with your CPU.

My first steps would be to run a minimal setup with only one graphics card, no optical devices, only one harddisk or in your case raid if the system is setup as a raid already from a previous system, that is.

But actually I would try to take out the cpu again and put it back in as I had a similar problem once with one of my X58 systems.

Anyway good luck!

Comment

Agree, check your CPU is properly seated and no thermal compound has seeped to the bottom or into the 1155 socket....might also check that all standoffs are tight and the screws snug to prevent the mobo from shorting

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi! Thanks for the replies!

So I rechecked the CPU seating, any thermal paste that might have gotten displaced or anything like that. It was all fine. Started it up, same thing.

So I re-looked through the book and apparently I am looking at the the diagnostic module upside down. It is not a 32 but a 2E. Stupid, yes.

2E is Prepare system for memory detection and sizing.

It actually does not get to the CPU initialization.

MemOK LED is still constantly lit, MemOK procedure does not remedy the situation.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Did you clear CMOS?

If you do try it first without MemOK and only one module.
          If it posts update to latest BIOS before you do anything else - you can tinker with speeds later.

Good look!

PS: Which BIOS version is installed?
          Last edited by Babycakes; 05-14-2011, 10:11 AM.

Comment

The board says states that an LED will light next to a problem source, hence the MemOK LED showing that something is wrong with the memory.

My theory:

Please tell me if this is dumb. I believe the board can handle the memory, but first you need to get into the bios and set the XMP profile. To do that, you would need lesser memory so at least it would POST, then you could setup the profile, have it switch and call it a day. I think the MemOK diagnostics are not doing the job for some reason, and that reason is the memory is too fast for it.

I think the board was made for 1600 memory that was meant to be overclocked to 2133. All throughout the compatibility stuff it says that it accepts 2133 (O.C.). That is why I think that it will only take lower memory overclocked to higher speeds.

I might bite the bullet and buy some Sniper ddr3 1600 and see if that will work. If that does, then I know it was this memory. Should I do that or RMA this memory and try new sticks?

Man it would be nice to have an extra pair of ddr3 laying around so I could confirm this stuff.

-SF

Comment

Extra parts always come in handy........try with a single stick and see if you can get into the BIOS,,,if no try the other stick....if still no, might check and see if any friends, etc have DDR3 you could borrow briefly...or buy a stick locally that's returnable, can even say not sure if you need DDR2 or DDR3.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I just bought some sniper memory (ddr3 1600) to test it out. Should work with no problem. I hope

-SF

Comment

Would think so, did you get the 1.5 or the 1.25 (haven't tried the 1.25 yet, but love the 1.5)

Tman

Comment

I got the 1.5. I hope it solves my problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X