Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's the deal with multiple sticks???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's the deal with multiple sticks???

I've been reading all the posts I can about problems installing more than one set of memory sticks since I'm now in that boat. However, it seems the blame, for me at least, just belong to the MB manufacturer.

Three weeks ago I built the following with great success:

ASUS p8p67 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k
    gskill ripjaws f3-12800cl7d-4gbxm
    EVGA overclocked 460
    etc.......

Yesterday I decided to up the amount of memory, so I added a second set of the above memory. This didn't go well at all. Adding the memory caused my machine to not POST and pressing the MEMOK button allowed me to get into BIOS where it said overclocking failed.

I looked into the timing settings and they were dead on at 7,8,7,24,2. So I tried the following.

Reset configuration - no help
    Tried new set only - Success
    Tried old set only - Success
    Tried old set in all memory slots - Success
    Tried new set in all memory slots - Success
    Tried all sets together - Fail
    Tried all sets together with the following: 9,9,9,28,2 - Success
    Tried raising voltage .05 and .1 - no help

Okay, so what's the deal here. It seems all the memory sticks can handle running at their rated speed and settings, but not when they are all installed at once. This leads me to believe that it has to do with the MB more than it would the memory. Most of the posts here talk about doing an RMA as the sticks don't match. How could this be if they all work separately at the proper settings. Couldn't it be in the BIOS or other design of the system board?

So as it stands now, I'm out of luck unless I wan't to use the settings noted above. Does anyone know what kind of performance hit I'm taking with those numbers over the recommended settings?

I'm not sure how to handle the return. If it's the memory, that would be okay, but if it's the MB or BIOS, getting a replacement set would be uselss.

Anyway, thanks for reading this far. Any input is greatly appreciated.

First do you have the latest BIOS? Next you said you tried raising the DRAM voltage, stock is 1.5, so may want to try 1.55 and raise the VCCIO (Memory Controller) voltage + .1 i.e. if on auto at 1.1 try it at 1.2, if that works can then try reducing the voltage if desired....could also be vCore voltage is a tad low, sort of have to balance out the three

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes, my BIOS is 1502 (the latest).

I tried increasing the DRAM as high as 1.6 and the VCCIO to 1.2 (any higher and the color changes to yellow and then red, so I'm assuming that means I should go there). No combinatioin of increases helped when they were set to 7-8-7-24-2. I'm now back to auto for voltages and 9-9-9-28-2.

Do you happen to know how much performance I'm out with those settings?

Thanks

P.S. I forgot to mention that when I went in after reading your post, the auto voltage had the DRAM at 1.65, not 1.5. When I went to set it at 1.65, it turned red and I didn't save it.

Comment

Have you tried XMP settings?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yep, the X.M.P. settings was where it was when I installed the second pair. It works great for one pair (any pair), but not for both pairs.

I did notice something. Now I'm not fully up to speed on all the timing stuff. The info on the memory has the timings at 7-8-7-24-2N and the XMP has it as 7-8-7-24-2T (not 2N). Then in the BIOS settings, the XMP has it set to 7-8-7-24-3 (not 2T or 2N). When I try to manually change the 3 to 2T, it ignores the letter and only sets the number.

Exactly what is the difference between 2T and 2N and 3?

Thanks

Comment

The N and T themselves are interchangeable (Primarily Intel used T and AMD used N, now the mobo makers seem to assign them randomly)....the sticks should run at 2 though, not 3. Also, if XMP won't work, you can try manually loading the settings, but may want to try 8-8-8-24 if the 7-8-7-24 doesn't. Generally if there is a problem with 2 sets of DRAM it can be 'fixed' by adjusting the voltage, but at times may have to loosen the timings a bit.........and then there's times they just won't play together.

Tman

Comment

I've tried many different timings, but the only one that works is 9-9-9-28-2 no matter what voltage settings. Since both sets work idependently at their rated timings, I really don't understand why they won't work together at those same timings. It really seems odd.

Does anyone know how I can figure out my performance loss by using the above timings over 7-8-7-24-2?

Thanks

Comment

Well I was able to get the memory to run at 8-8-8-24-2 by increasing DRAM to 1.65 and VCCIO to 1.2. This is better, but not the timing advertised by gskill. I really need to know where the problem lies so I can fix this once and for all.

Do gskill techs read these posts? If so, I'd appreciate some input. I'm also in contact with ASUS, but they claim not to be responsible (of course they do).

Anyway, I need to know if I should RMA these sticks as they won't run at advertised timings.

Thanks

Comment

I know how you feel, it seems that there are alot of people going through the same situation. I am one of them. It seems difficult to find out where the actual problem originates. I would really like to test my RAM on another platform, like the X58, just to see what would happen, or test it with another P67 setup. Problem is I don't know anyone who has either setup available for me to try.

Comment

Hopefully GSkill will be in yet today and will probably suggest RMAing the kits for a set that works together. There are times when separate sets of the same model just won't play together, it doesn't happen real often but when these are made especially if from different lots of ICs, PBs, etc there will be microscopic differences in the sticks and they just don't go, which is why sets are offered in different amounts of total GB i.e. 2,4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24GB

Tman

Comment

You need to exchange for this kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-431-_-Product

or send them all in for RMA and try two new kits.

We can not guarantee two kits to work together, so this is the type of issue you can encounter if you attempt it.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well I could send one set back, but the first set I installed is now almost a month old and I no longer have the packaging for them.

If I RMA all the sticks, my machine will be dead in the water until the replacements arrive. I can't go that long without a machine.

As for your statement about not being able to guarantee two kits will work together (two identical sets)... Then what's the point of purchasing your memory if upgrading to a higher amount in the future might not work? If the memory is the same (part number, etc.), then they should be identical and work without problems. In over 30 years of working with computers, I've never had issues with memory unless they were different specs and sometime brand.

Please tell me how I can get this issue resolved without leaving my machine unusable during the RMA process.

Thanks

Comment

With standard modules, there is less variation, so it is less of a problem. But with performance modules, they can slightly differ. A slight difference will cause a problem on dual and triple channel motherboards. Some can work, but the overall performance is lower. For this reason, it is always best to purchase memory in a full kit.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH
                          Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Okay, so what's the process for getting the replacements and where do I send them and the money? I like the first kit + $20 gets me the first 8GB module and then sending the second kit gets me the second 8G.

Can you send me all the info in a private message?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X