F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM & ASrock 870 Extreme3 Freezing Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM & ASrock 870 Extreme3 Freezing Problems

Hello, I just completed my first build and I am having problems with constant freezing shortly after powering up. When I go into the BIOS to try to adjust things it usually freezes after about 10 seconds (whether I do or do not change anything). I have not installed an OS yet, since I cannot even get the comp to stay unfrozen long enough for that. However there is something weird that happens: when I run Memtest86 v.4.0 it freezes after just a few seconds just like it does when I am in the BIOS menu (no errors reported by Memtest--just freezes). HOWEVER, when I run Memtest86 v.3.5 it does not freeze up--I ran it for 2.5 hours with no problems! It cleared Memtest86 v.3.5 3+ times with no errors and no freezes. Considering that the longest I can go without freezing while in BIOS or Memtest86 v.4.0 is about 10 seconds, this was surprising.

So it seems like the clue to what is wrong with my system might be found in the difference between v.3.5 and v.4.0 of Memtest86--however being a total noob I have no idea what the difference is or what the above results could signal. Is it a memory problem, or is it something else?

Note that I recognize that my memory module is not optimized for AMD and requires some tweaking to get things working well. The BIOS auto set it to 1333 at 9-9-9-24, which although under the rating seemed reasonable to me. I tried dropping the speed down to 1066 and increasing the NB voltage a bit to see if it helped stabilize things--it didn't make a difference. Right now I am less concerned about getting the rated speeds as I am about getting the computer to freaking turn on without freezing. I noticed in another post that the timings other than the usually-quoted first 4 might need to be manually set on my mobo, but I do not know where to look to find what the optimal settings for these timings are (gskill's product page for the memory does not show anything like that).

Thanks for any help you can offer!

ASrock 870 Extreme3
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (stock retail cooler)
    Radeon HD 6850 (HIS IceQX Turbo)
    4 GB Gskill DDR3-1600 (F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM; currently set at 1066 9-9-9-24)
    Antec Basiq 550 Plus (37 A on 12 V rails)
    LG CD/DVD R+/R-
    640 GB WD Caviar Blue SATA 3.0 (currently disconnected)
    Zalman z9 Plus case

If leaving at default 1333, might try at 8-8-8-22, Command Rate at 2N (is probably at 1N) and ensure DRAM voltage is at spec or up to .05 higher than spec. Start with a single stick and if that goes well, add the other stick. Should be at least able to run memtest on one stick at a time...hmmmm...do you have the latest BIOS and run the latest version of memtest
    Last edited by Tradesman; 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman, 1333 with CL9 timings failed to post, so I seriously doubt it will with CL8.
      Like Tradesman menitioned, try to post with each stick individually.
      If your board has onboard video, try to post with it and leave your 6850 out.

My first impression after reading your post, it sounds like a PSU issue to me.

Do you have another PSU available to test in your new build?
      AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
      Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
      ASUS Crosshair V Formula
      2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
      SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
      Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
      Corsair HX850W Modular
      Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
      2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Thanks for your responses Tradesman and YourNemisis007.

Tradesman: I do have the latest BIOS (1.60), and I will try your suggested settings when I get home (although it does seem counter-intuitive to tighten timings as YourNemisis007 points out)--but hey, I'm desperate and will try anything. As for memtest, I have run both version 4.0 and 3.5 (indeed the different results I am getting between the two are what is so puzzling!).

YourNemisis007: The only other PSU I have is old and only 350 W, so I don't think it is going to be helpful. If it is a PSU problem, then why does it run memtest86 3.5 just fine for hours but will freeze after a few seconds if I am just sitting in the BIOS menu? I know memtest is not an hardware intensive test or anything, but surely it sucks more power to run it for hours than it does to just sit there idle in BIOS?

I appreciate your help trying to narrow down what my problem is.

Comment

Good point about the PSU matter, but faulty PSU's can rear their ugly heads in many ways.
          I would try to post with limited hardware connected to narrow down the issue.
          If you have onboard video, try to post with it (the 6850 removed) and only one stick of memory.
          If the problem still persists, do you have other DDR3 memory available to test?
          Try a total CMOS reset by removing the mobo battery & short the CMOS jumper pin for about 20 minutes.
          ASUS Crosshair V Formula
          Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

YourNemisi007: I do not have integrated graphics or other DDR3 RAM I can test, unfortunately. My old computer is just . . . well . . . old, and so none of its components are helpful for testing. And the only person I know well enough to borrow components from has an equally old box-o-bones. I have tried testing the system with the barest components per the recommendation of the mobo mftr tech support, but they (the tech support) are pretty much worthless--they still cannot tell me what the test results mean and their responses to my queries strongly suggest that they haven't even read my email (or at least not understood it). I am hoping there is some way to find out which component is the offending one without having to RMA each and every one, one at a time. Do you think there is any clue to be found in the fact that Memtest86 version 3.5 runs, but 4.0 doesn't? I believe 4.0 uses multiple threads, while 3.5 does not--could that indicate a problem with one of the cores of my processor? I really am a noob, so I could be totally off on this, but it seems like one of the few clues available right now.

Thanks!

Comment

Since it's a new build, I would assume that you have a C3 955, can you confirm this?
              ASUS Crosshair V Formula
              Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

I believe it is a C3. (The box OPN is HDZ955FBGMBOX, and according to cpu-world.com and some postings on tomshardware.com it is a C3, however I couldn't find anything definitive from AMD)

Comment

Just mentioned 8 with 1333, since it had been tried at 9, and loose timings can also cause failures, 1600/CL9 sticks are better suited to CL8 at 1333, which should also rest the other timings to match the CL8 through auto (which I am assuming the advanced timings are all set to. May also want to look at CPU/NB....check all connections tight, including mobo so not getting a short.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

CPU-Z will indicate the Stepping:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                    Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

I tried the CL8 settings you recommended Tradesman, but I am still experiencing the problems. I upped the NB voltage (which is supposedly the CPU-NB voltage on my silly ASrock board) to 1.2 V. This seemed to help a little--the freezes took longer to happen, but still happened.

YourNemisis007, I cannot run CPU-Z since I do not have any OS or other software installed (I tried to instal OS, but freezes interrupt!), so I cannot check there. I am pretty sure it is a C3 though.

Here are the settings I am currently at which have netted the most stability (i.e. longer time before a freeze), but which still result in inevitable freezes:

533 Mhz DDR_1066
                      Unganged
                      Bank Interleaving Auto
                      Chanel Interleaving Hash2
                      DRAM Voltage 1.603 V
                      NB Voltage 1.200 V
                      Timings:
                      CAS 8
                      TRCP 8
                      TRP 8
                      TRAS 24
                      TRTP 5
                      TRRD 4
                      TWTR 5
                      TWR 10
                      TRC 33
                      TRWTWB 8
                      TRWTTD 7
                      TWRRD 2
                      TWRWR 4
                      TRDRD 4
                      TRFC0 110ns
                      TRFC1 110ns
                      MA 2T

Any suggestions on settings? ASrock's tech support has recommended RMAing the mobo, but they have not, shall I say . . . inspired confidence in their diagnostic abilities, and I don't want to RMA the mobo prematurely if it is really just a RAM problem. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Might raise CPU-NB to 1.25 or 1.27....and I can't believe their support doesn't inspire your confidence.....though it would help if they read their support requests. I have one of their mobos right now I'm working with, told them in a message it has the current BIOS according to their site, they told me to upgrade to the version I have, told them the mobo wouldn't run over a 1333 FSB, their response was I have to OC the CPU, BEFORE I try to raise the FSB.....it's a socket 775 w/ a Q9650 - you OC the CPU by raising the FSB....and a couple other things like that...their support folks (1 I know has been a 'support' tech for a fair while now, said they would have to send the questions to HQ (Taiwan) they came back w/ equally non-nonsensical answers...They don't have any idea at all about DRAM, have told me certain sticks will never run a mobo I had them running on for over 6 months. Have used a number of their boards in the past, but no more, this is only the second time I've checked with them on anything, the first was about a RAID driver, they answered fine close to a year ago, but this has been ridiculous. Turned out to be a corrupt BIOS

Tman

Comment

I'm not impressed with ASRock, came off a 790 AM2+ board about 4 months ago.
                          Night & day difference between a performance ASRock board and a performance ASUS board.
                          I will never own another ASRock board again...period!
                          And the funny thing about it, ASRock is somehow part of the ASUS group.
                          In my opinion, you would be better switching out your ASRock for a high end ASUS board.
                          ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                          Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Working...
                          X