Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Sabertooth X58 Board not recognizing SIMMs

SOS (take that two ways)

Have a ASUS Sabertooth X58 socket 1366 board. Intel Core i-7 3.05 CPU (i think 940). Trying to populate the Mobo with three 2 gig F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ SIMMs G Skill (1600). That second slot just does not want to stand up and be counted.

The DRAM sticks are fine when I swap them around. Memory slots 1 3and are fine. I put 3 2 gig Simms in and the Mobo (Windows and CPU-Z) sees 4 gig. I use single Simms is all slots, and slots 1 and 3 work fine, 2 doesnt. I have read every FAQ and board around, tried all voltages, all configs, all timings....nothing on slot 2.

Gotta be the quirky X58 Mobo and ASUS appears to make the most heinous ones to get up and going (look at the Newegg ratings). This has been about 20 hours work at least.

1. With everything i have, the Mobo should be RMAed and try another, but not ASUS. Tired of that. Maybe Gigabyte or EVGA?

2. I have an ASUS Socket 1155 Sabertooth. That appears to be more stable. In this case I have to RMA the I-7 and get another socket 1155 CPU Core I-7.

BTW< G Skill looks to have great customer support.

DO you have the latest BIOS? If a single slot is causing the problems and the sticks work fine in others, could try cleaning the slot (pick up a can of compressed air, might hace a bit of dust or a fabric filament in there. Could also check the DRAM voltage and the QPI/VTT...the board may not be reading it quite right and have to go a bit higher...some 1366 boards have had problems w/ the on board USB 3 controller..disabling it in the BIOS has straightened the problem...might also check the mobo is fully seated and all mobo mounts are snug (to prevent a short)....if all the above fail to help, may just be a bad mobo.
    Last edited by Tradesman; 04-25-2011, 09:50 AM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I will try those suggestions. I just discovered I am over 30 days on Newegg, so this is mine. The perfectionism in me says I want a fully functioning Mobo, but really I can throw in 4 gigs memory ( 2 x 2) or 8 gig (4 x 2) and roll.

The Mobo recognized all 3 slots when I mistakenly only plugged a 4 pin connector in the cpu power, not the 8. (the cpu even worked briefly with the 4 pin power connector, then pooped out.

Does that mean anything to anyone?

Comment

I tired disabling the USB 3 controller to no avail.

1366 X58 boards appear to be picky. Only 40-50% of newegg buyers report 'excellent' results. That is a real quality control problem (or a problem in the complicated setup).

Comment

ASUS, to me, used to be great, but the last couple of years seams like QC and in particular, tech support has slid downhill. Not really a good sign if, as you say, it worked briefly. Might want to pull the CPU and see if any apparent damage and while there make sure no thermal compound seepeed onto the bottom or into the socket.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sighs

If time = money I have to move on at some point. It would not take long to look at the cpu, and likewise air clean the D-RAMM slot.

Otherwise I can do everything I want to do with 4-8 gigs memory.

I suppose I could lower the voltage in the CPU some...considering my statement above about it initially working....

I am questioning the 1366 socket at this point. Where is that tech going??? If there are 25% or more memory -problems....

Comment

Let us know, GSkill may know of documented issues, so keep touching base

Tman

Comment

I just might move those SIMMS over the the 1155 Core I-7 ASUS Sabertooth Mobo. Should match up there, right?

Comment

Should work fine

Tman

Comment

Did you take a look at the sticky? There are quite a bit of reasons for triple channel issues. All this just comes with new technology. Hopefully, the future X68 will show a great improvement.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes, looked at the sticky. I need to air clean the DIMM slot, then clean the CPU...hopefully it works, otherwise the Mobo is headed back.

Comment

Let us know

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X