Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Typo in ram specs on site? 9-9-9-24 or 9-9-9-24-2n. Are they different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typo in ram specs on site? 9-9-9-24 or 9-9-9-24-2n. Are they different?

So is 9-9-9-24 and 9-9-9-24-2N the same or different? I do know that the 2n has to do with the "command rate", but couldn't find much info on it. If a piece of ram only says 9-9-9-24, then how do you know what the command rate is?

I have a Asus Ma785TD-M EVO motherboard, with 2 2gb sticks of g.skill ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL. The sticker on my ram says that its timing is 9-9-9-24, however their specs on the website say it is 9-9-9-24-2N (although that same page is showing the specs of 3 different sets). So I don't know whether I should believe the sticker on the ram, or the specs on the g.skill site here.

I want to add 8 more GB of ram (2x4gb). I found a set of the same brand of gskill ripjaws model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL which has 9-9-9-24-2N timings. Would that be fully compatible even though their is a possible discrepancy with whether my current ram is 2N or not?

I also found a pair of Corsair vengeance for a slightly better price which is only listed as a straight 9-9-9-24, model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B. This matches the sticker on my current ram, however how do I have any idea if they have the same command rate since neither lists it?

I need some memory soon, and am confused which to buy. Stability is my biggest concern.

Command Rate is normally 2N (for AMD, 2T for Intel, though of late they are mixing the N and T designators between the two). Many AMD mobos default to 1N (or 1T) hence, the identifier is being placed on the packages/specs more often. With many sets and individual sticks you can get them to run w/ a CR of 1, but it is sort of a throw back to to the smaller size sticks of lower capacity (512 +/-, 1GB). With today's sticks normally running 2 or 4GB and in sets of 4-24GB you can still run CR at 1, but often have to play w/ the frequency and voltages to do so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply, although I'm still slightly confused.

Is my current gskill ram 2N or not? Since the sticker does not state a 2N on it, but the website does. its F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

I haven't done any overclocking on the ram, I might in the future so I do want that option, but for the moment I just want ram I can just plug in that is 100% compatible without a bunch of tinkering.

The discrepancy with whether my ram is 2N or not is making me uncertain whether buying a pair of sticks that is 2N will cause any problems.

PS: Motherboard is Asus Ma785TD-M EVO, processor is AMD Phenom 965, 3.4ghz quad core.
      Last edited by carl99999; 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Yes, the spec is 2N

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X