• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy BIOS Settings

I'm trying to set up my BIOS.

CPU: i5-750
    MoBo: MSi P55 CD-53
    RAM: F3-10666CL8D

I had the wrong timing values in there for over a year before reading a review that explained that the advertised values at newegg were incorrect. So the RAM is not rated for the speed that was advertised. Well that was a little disappointing but I didn't notice any difference in speed, so I guess it's trivial.

I have this RAM here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231275

What are the correct values for the RAM once and for all? I'm getting conflicting information. If you look at the image at newegg, you can make out the sticker that says: 8-8-8-21. However, someone else claimed it was 8-8-8-24, and I have also heard it was 9-9-9-24?

If you'll notice, it's 1333 Mhz. But one review says that he increased the voltage to 1.65, set it to 1600mhz with 8-8-8-21 T1. Well, I'd like to do that if it will make it faster, is it safe?

Does this support XMP? Does anyone here know where I can find the technical specifications for my RAM: SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D?

My CPU is set to Turbo. I enabled all of the features it came with (EIST, Stepping, etc.), but I haven't manually overclocked it.

I have XMP disabled because I don't really understand what it is. Should I enable it? Should I set it to Advance or Auto?

Why would you want to disable XMP? What values should I enter for the fields if I enable it?

I would feel a bit stupid that I had not been taking full advantage of my computer, but I'd be glad to get more performance. I've never seen the CPU go over about 40% (in TaskManager) and I don't understand why. It seems to be held back by something? The temps are OK. I was thinking perhaps I need XMP or my CPU can't increase the clockspeed?

Also there are six other values below that in my BIOS. Here are the settings current values:

tRFC 74
    tWR 10
    tWTR 5
    tRRD 4
    tRTP 5
    tFAW 20

What do I set those to? I'm sure they are probably a little off, and would like to get the best performance out of my RAM.

Thank you very much. You're the best.
    Last edited by VirusType2; 04-09-2011, 05:27 PM.

Technical specifications and everything you need is on the memory. There is conflicting information because there was a batch of 8-8-8-24 and 8-8-8-21, but just use whatever is stated on your memory. It is definitely not 9-9-9-24, that is standard, and is another kit.

1.65V is fine, a lot of people do this to gain more performance. You can raise frequency or lower timings to achieve better performance. (overclocking)

This memory does support XMP; all G.Skill modules above standard (DDR3-1333 CL9) will support XMP. XMP is the Extreme Memory Profile. When enabled in BIOS, the motherboard detects this profile on the memory modules and it automatically configures the memory settings for you. If disabled, you will need to input the DRAM Frequency, timings, and voltage, which is basically what the XMP does automatically when enabled.

XMP is typically used by plug and play people that want performance memory. Manual, or XMP disabled are for more advanced users that don't have a problem manually setting everything for optimum performance. XMP is not always correct, since it depends on BIOS version, but we always try our best to work with motherboard companies to make sure XMP works as smoothly as possible.

As far as CPU performance, I don't know. But if you run a stress test, it should be 100%. Maybe you are not maxing it out.

The advanced timings listed are just fine. No need to change those. Once you set the first four timings, the BIOS will adjust the rest.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

That was extremely helpful, thanks!

I just needed to set it to XMP Enabled in the BIOS in order to use the advertised timings (the ones listed on the RAM label). My BIOS settings would not "stick" otherwise.

I just want stability and error-free performance, so I'm not going to overclock it beyond that, and I'm just going to leave it at 1.5v.

One more question though. I was under the impression I should set it to T2 for this set, but the default in my BIOS is T1. I don't really understand this setting, but I have read a bit about it, and I came to the conclusion that T2 would in fact be better in some respects at least, despite being slower. Do you know which I'm supposed to use - because that's all I really want is to set it how it was intended.

Thanks again.

Comment

For overall stability CR at 2T will be best, 1T will provide faster performance of your sticks (which you may or may not even notice) - it's sort of like thinking something would happen in 1 second or 2 seconds between actions, though we are actually talking in fractions of a second

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK, so my computer has been BSOD pretty much every day for a while, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, and I've realized it was setting the memory timings to 8-8-8-24. Obviously at first I thought it was a fluke and didn't make the connection. I can't look at the RAM but I'm guessing it's 9-9-9-24 because the problem went away. I guess newegg sent me the wrong RAM. :expletives.gif:

I lost maybe 50 hours of work from a corrupted save because of the BSODs and am devastated about that. :frown.gif: Only 50 hours because I made a backup after I experienced a BSOD two days in a row.

All windows indications are that the RAM had been corrupted when it shut down. It would BSOD under load.

I may have faulty RAM, or I may not have this set right. I don't think it will pay to ship it back because of the shipping and down-time and today's prices on RAM are 100% less than they where when purchased.

Does XMP increase the timings at any point? "Advance timing" - does that mean it increases (tightens) them under demand/load? Maybe I've been understanding this wrong the whole time.

Do I set it to 9-9-9-24 and XMP will automatically tighten the timings under demand? IS THAT WHAT XMP IS? :confused.gif:

What I always thought was that I was to set the XMP timing manually (under DRAM manual config).

I just want to add that I'm really upset. I bought this RAM because it wasn't some extreme overclock; it was practically the only RAM that had the recommended voltage rating from Intel of 1.5v and was like the only RAM that wasn't overclock rated (1600). I don't have any experience (my first build) and I just wanted a computer that I could set up and it would work correctly and reliably, but I've had nothing but problems with this computer - my critical error log reads like a book. And Windows 7 doesn't tolerate errors, it seems before BSOD. I had maybe 2 or 3 BSOD in my entire life and I've been using Windows almost daily since Windows 3.1.
          Last edited by VirusType2; 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS, 1.B , can be found here:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P55-CD53.html#?div=BIOS

If not might want to get it and try w/ XMP. If you already have it, may want to disable it and enter the timings manually 8-8-8-24 or whatever you have on the sticks, Set CR (Command Rate to 2T or 2N, whichever letter designator MSI has on this board, and may want to put DRAM voltage to 1.55. Then see how that goes.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              Do you have the latest BIOS, 1.B , can be found here:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P55-CD53.html#?div=BIOS

If not might want to get it and try w/ XMP. If you already have it, may want to disable it and enter the timings manually 8-8-8-24 or whatever you have on the sticks, Set CR (Command Rate to 2T or 2N, whichever letter designator MSI has on this board, and may want to put DRAM voltage to 1.55. Then see how that goes.
              Thank you, Tradesman.

What do you mean exactly? "Set CR (Command Rate to 2T or 2N, whichever letter designator MSI has on this board" ...The board decides what the command rate is? Oh, I thought it was a RAM specification. Is the CR etched on the motherboard somewhere, or in the manual, do you think?

Yeah, flashing the BIOS has been on my mind forever - I bought the stuff practically at launch and so got stuck with rev. 1.1. I've been watching the BIOS revision numbers go up at MSI.com and figured since I'm not really having any specific problem (perhaps a bit more stability could be gained), I would wait and get a later revision so I only have to flash it once. Because I'm terrified to flash the bios. I tried on an old MB a few years ago and it just froze mid-way. Nothing was damaged but it freaked me out. Not only that but I want to be sure I have cash on-hand to replace the board in case I brick it... and that never happens.

Comment

CR will set to the mobo default, normally Intel sets to 2 and AMD often sets to 1 (which can cause problems)

As far as the BIOS, when they list the 'update' they primarily list the biggest or major change, there is usually numerous other changes

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  CR will set to the mobo default, normally Intel sets to 2 and AMD often sets to 1 (which can cause problems)

As far as the BIOS, when they list the 'update' they primarily list the biggest or major change, there is usually numerous other changes
                  OK, so you think I should just leave the CR at whatever the default setting is, if I'm understanding you correctly.

I appreciate your suggestion of updating the BIOS - not because I didn't think of it, but because I only now noticed this little bit while skimming the link:

MSI BIOS details:

M-Flash

Compared to common mainboard which need extra BIOS chips, MSI?s M-Flash has a double advantage which doesn?t need extra components and secondly, all your BIOS data will be saved in the USB drive. The stored data does not only have backup and upgrade function, moreover it can also be seen as a portable BIOS chip which is actually able to boot up your PC.

Features
                  - Backup/Restore Your BIOS to/from Any USB Flash Disk
                  - Avoid Unnecessary Repair Due to Accident Failures During The Upgrading Process
                  - Earn more BIOS Lifespan by Reducing Unnecessary Rewriting Process
                  So it seems I can safely use a USB stick (I hate to get inside my case and install a floppy) and it can even boot the BIOS from a USB stick if something were to go wrong during flashing.

I have a new VGA card and it should be here in 2 days and I'm going to go ahead and flash the BIOS, reset the BIOS settings to factory defaults (after writing down my preferences), and reinstall Windows (I have a better HDD now anyway and have been having a couple of issues), and just sort of... start over.

Regards.

Comment

Sounds good, know how all that goes, still keep a drive around for occasional RAID installs, and I'm in the same boat, just built another box for around the office and am now searching for a new mobo, to replace the new mobo I used

Tman

Comment

Well, the BIOS update seems to have gone fine and now I have a bunch of new options in the BIOS. I went up 10 revisions from the old 1.1.

However, it seems to have caused an issue where it takes 2 or 3 minutes to detect my HDDs every time I boot the computer, and that's unacceptable. So I'm angry. Maybe you can downgrade the BIOS? I don't know.

Now, regarding the RAM, I have tried every combination, and it seems to:

BSOD if I use 8-8-8-24. BSOD if I set it to 9-9-9-24 and enable XMP (which sets it to 8-8-8-24 automatically)

If I set it manually to 9-9-9-24, and disable XMP the RAM seems to work fine, however, I have never done a significant test of the RAM. I think I need to spend a lot of hours learning how to test the RAM and leave it running for 24 hours, which is a joke. Why do I have to test RAM to be sure it works?

I bought the 8-8-8-21 RAM, but looks like I got something else. So I'm disappointed in Newegg.

I'm really disappointed all around. 3 minute boot to Windows is the worst and slowest boot up I've ever seen in my life, not quite fitting of what I've paid for. I'm disappointed in MSI. There's a typo in the BIOS too, I mean, do they even test these things either?

As for the RAM, I don't know what to say. I'll contact Newegg and see about a replacement. I bought it in 2009, so I don't know.

I'm both furious and really sad. Thank you guys for helping.

Comment

Try raising the DRAM voltage to the 1.58 with the 8-8-8-24, some mobos under-set DRAM voltage, on the drives may want to update the drivers - all the drivers for the mobo can be found here:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P55-CD...r&os=Win7%2032

They've had some problems with this mobo being picky about components

Tman

Comment

We can RMA the modules with new ones if necessary:

http:/www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Looks like it was a Motherboard BIOS issue

OK, I didn't reply back for a while because I wanted to test it out for a few days.

Like I said, I had ordered a new graphics card, and updated the BIOS to the latest version. So I took a look at the label on the RAM because I was becoming increasingly uncertain of the proper timings.

At this point I air dusted the RAM and slots, along with the rest of my PC. It seemed almost immaculate, but you know how sensitive these things are. So it could have been dust.

But back to the label on the RAM - the timings were 8-8-8-24 so again, that's what I set them to, and I bumped up the voltage to 1.55. I realized that there is a 'view XMP info' tab in my BIOS, and saw that the tRFC was supposed to be 60, although by default in my BIOS it was something like 74. I was unsure if it could handle it since it couldn't handle the slower value, but everything seems to be working fine!

I had been using CPU-Z and having a look at that, the XMP value is 8-8-8-27 2T. So I don't know what's up with that. I swore CPU-Z used to say 8-8-8-24, before the BIOS update. Know anything? But anyway, it has been helpful software.

So I decided the problem was the BIOS or dust.

I installed the new video card, and reinstalled the OS. I have had absolutely no issues!

I haven't any special software, but I 'sort of' torture tested it without risking data - doing all the things that used to make my computer BSOD within minutes - playing games while unzipping archives, downloading files, playing music all at the same time. I tested it for a couple of days. In fact, my computer is operating 24-7, except during maintenance or electrical storms.

So with everything working great for several days, I decided that it was probably the BIOS causing the issue and decided that the voltage bump might not even be necessary. So last night, I lowered it down to 1.506, (the normal voltage for this RAM is 1.5). Everything has been fine. I've had the computer going for about 24 hours now at the nominal voltage. I've been doing some gaming and all kinds of tasks with no issues. Not one BSOD in about a week.

I am very pleased - thrilled even. The computer is now stable, reliable, and very quick.

Thank you gentlemen for your assistance, I am very grateful.

As for the new BIOS issue, taking 3 minutes to detect one of my drives (I mentioned earlier), I decided to use one of the ports on my PCI SATA controller to control that HDD instead, and use the 'problem port' on my MB with an ESATA adapter cable. Essentially swap duties. I rarely use ESATA anyway. So that's a good work-around for me.

...updated BIOS isn't perfect, it now says my i5-750 supports HT as well (it doesn't), but only in the info pane, not the selectable options.
                            Last edited by VirusType2; 05-11-2011, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Glad to hear all the good news, might drop MSI a line about the SATA port - it may be an on-going issue they plan to address in a future BIOS update...or even something they don't know about....can't hurt. Anyway, it's good all is good...Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X