Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatible Memory with GA-EX58-UD5

Hi,

I am ready to purchase all my parts for my Core i7 build, and reading all the stories people having difficulties with memory and motherboards, I figured I would ask before I buy.

Motherboard GA-EX58-UD5 would like to buy. Would like to have 12 GB of memory. Need the best kit to match. Do not plan to OC, but would like the option of doing in future. No games, just lots of virtual machines and apps. Do not want to spend too much in memory, somewhere midrange. Looked at G.SKILL memory and hearing good things about them, hoping there is a kit I could use here without problems. My worry is 12 GB, since I hear so many people have problem as they go 12 GB.

Appreciate any info in this matter.

Regards,
    Mike

it's difficult to run with total 6 sticks of memory
    and we also only guarantee 3 for tripple channel
    so, we'd recommend you to purchase 2 sets of F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK/ F3-10666CL7T-6GBNQ
    they should work fine on this motherboard
    thanks

G.S

Comment

You didn't mention the speed you want to run, your mobo will go up to 2100, so if you want to run 1333, 1600 or 1866 I'd say OCZ Platinum the 1333 is available in a 12 GB kit and/or the 3x2 kits have a great rebate available. They seem to match the sticks up well to help eliminate the type problem you mentioned.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

please see this thread for reference
        http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=665

you may need to downgrade the speed to run total 6 sticks
        thanks

G.S

Comment

Was just informed Gskill is coming out with a 12GB kit at 1600, thought I'd let you know, don't have a date, will see if I can find out.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
            Was just informed Gskill is coming out with a 12GB kit at 1600, thought I'd let you know, don't have a date, will see if I can find out.

here is 24GB with DDR3 1600
            http://forum.coolaler.com/showthread...highlight=24GB

Of course it is not announced yet
            but we still have to state it's not easy to run above DDR3 1600 with total 6 sticks

G.S

Comment

Thanks, the kit I mentioned was brought up by the other Administrator (GSKILL-TECH) who responded at one point that you were coming out with a 12GB kit @ 1600, that will actually be 3 1800 sticks, sold to run at 1600.

It's in the Core i7 12Gb XMP thread

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                Thanks, the kit I mentioned was brought up by the other Administrator (GSKILL-TECH) who responded at one point that you were coming out with a 12GB kit @ 1600, that will actually be 3 1800 sticks, sold to run at 1600.

It's in the Core i7 12Gb XMP thread

we knew
                what we want to state is to run 6 stick in triple channel is not the same as 3 in triple channel
                for example, to run 6 sticks together at DDR3 1600, you may need 2 set of DDR3 1800, not DDR3 1600
                2 sets of DDR3 1600 may only reach DDR3 1333 while running together

G.S

Comment

So you think the 12GB 1600/12800 Corsair and OCZ kits are actually 1800/14400 or higher? Sort of interesting, the Corsair kit is their XMS3 RAM and ...may be wrong...but I think 1600 is the highest they take that series to. Will check and get back.

Tman

Comment

that is only an example
                    but for their DDR3 1600 12GB kit, it has to reach more than DDR3 1600 while they are running with only 3
                    it might be DDR3 1700 or 1800
                    we are not sure how high it could actually reach, but it is surely much higher than 1600
                    hope you understand what we want to express

G.S

Comment

I understand what you are saying...But on the subject, No offense intended, I think we need to agree to disagree. Here in Tucson, I build some high end systems (and will be building a 12GB rig for myself soon), and as I've said before I also network with a number of other builders/consultants who have had success in running 12GB, one in Florida is doing a build this weekend with 24GB (Crucial).

I suggested about a month or so ago that GSkill should look into testing with more than the 2 or 3 stick setups, which I'd like to reiterate. I've browsed through a number of the older postings and more and more the trend is heading to 8-12GB and more and more users are running 64 bit, which I feel will really explode when Win7 is released, I've been working with the Win7 betas since last year, and it's going to convert even more users from 32 to 64 bit.

Of interest, just got an advertisement today from TigerDirect.com (I'm not one of their biggest fans), but they have just put a bundled barebones together for $999 - a P6T X58, i7 920, and 12GB of Corsair XMS3 1600 (and it's two sets of 6GB Corsair). As I said I'm not a big fan of them, but do you seriously think they are going to bundle this and sell it, if the RAM won't run at 1600?? (Ad below)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...896-_-barebone

I'll admit, it can't be done on every mobo, or with every type of RAM, but, with the a good mobo and good RAM, YES, It can be done, and surprisingly, quite often, relatively easily.

Tman

Comment

bundled or built system would avoid some problems
                        they could be tested before user rewceive the whole machine
                        maybe I could pass this info to our marketing for reference
                        and we don't know what our competiter actually use
                        what we said is based on our test result and experience
                        thanks

G.S

Comment

It's all really a matter of working with the board and the RAM, generally you can get them to work (much easier if it's in front of you), but it's even harder like this, via a forum, and with the X58 chipset being so new, the mobo makers are (and will be for awhile) tweaking their BIOSs. Same with other mobos, but the X58 in particular.

The bundle I mentioned from Tiger, is just that, a bundle, you get the individual components and put it together yourself. They generally build one or two to make sure the components work together, but the it's on you to put it together....and they don't offer tech support...so to sell this, they must be pretty confident it will work.....otherwise they'll be doing refund after refund.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                          X