• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSkill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH + Asus Crosshair IV/1090T

Hello G skill forums!

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula 890FX
    RAM: F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH

I am faced with an odd problem. In my bios, I set this RAM 1600mhz 7-7-7-24, Command Rate 2T, Row Cycle Auto and Voltage 1.65V.

It passes a 5 hour memetest86+ run, however, it corrupts my game and operating system files.

I have already reinstalled Windows 7 twice, as I have had one kit(same model) that I RMA'd before.

I've already been through ASUS motherboard support and the only possible solution they could give me was that the RAM I had wasn't on the QVL because even though the model numbers matched, the kit I owned nowhere said "XMP" on it. Hah, how am I supposed to enable XMP on an AMD system?

I tried emailing the RMA department, to ask if I could refund this kit and purchase a kit with looser timings, but that request was denied.

So yeah. What do you guys think?

Do you have the latest BIOS? test one module at a time with proper settings to see if one is bad.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I do have the latest BIOS.

I will test each stick individually, what timings do you recommend I test?

Also I forgot to mention this in the first post. Looking straight at both of the sticks, there is a bit of orange paint on the top right of the PCB.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Comment

Haha woops sorry, I guess I read through that a little fast.

I will test each module 2 hours each, with 7-7-7-24, Command Rate 2T, Row Cycle Auto and 1.65V.

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, we make markings on top of the PCB when we match/pair modules together. Both should have the same orange marking since they are a dual channel kit.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

F3-12800CL7D + Crosshair

Hello Pwnedbynim,

I also have the F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH kit.

I notice you have ram voltage @ 1.65 right on the kit it's rated for 1.6v
            Normally I say would no big deal but I too had a problem with widows 7 x64 while back with a ram kit and an Asus Motherboard.

Here's my Setup maybe this will help.

Crosshair Formula III
            Phenom II X4 965 BE
            F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH

Set Dram @ 1600Mhz
            Manually set Dram Voltage to 1.6v
            Manually Set CPU/NB Voltage to 1.3
            ----

With that setup I have my ram kit running perfectly stable with these timings.

Ganged Mode (Dual Channel)
            Dram Command Rate 1T

TCL 7
            TRCD 7
            TRP 7
            TRAS 18 (rated for 24 but its fine for me here)

Not sure if you resolved the issue yet already but figure I'd post whats working for me.

Just throwing this out there also make sure you have a stable PSU single rail ones are the best to my knowledge. If you have allot of things drawing on your PSU you will be surprised how bad voltage fluctuations will mess things up.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks acid, will try those timings tonight!

Comment

This t00

This also worked for my setup.

(Again make sure you set the voltage to 1.6v)

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

I even O.C. the CPU to 3.6Ghz
                and Ram at like 1606Mhz or something because setting the bus to 240 put the ram at 1599Mhz not that the whole 1Mhz even made a .0000001 % of difference just liked seeing it so I set the bus to 241 lol.

Either way seems stable for me think the biggest thing I noticed is voltage changes for some reason Windows 7 would spaz out if the voltages weren't set right (Esp On Mushkin Kits set their's back to get G. Skills) Linux on the other hand wasn't as *****y so to speak but Ubuntu didn't like the Ganged mode so much but that was with PAE.

So between Voltages with Windows 7
                AMD not being so friendly with the whole CL3 with the Phenom II
                Then on top of that ASUS had some bad board configuration ROG or not.

I spent allot of time messing around with stuff till I got everything running smooth so keep at it you'll get it running fine.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the continued care, acid. I'll make sure to try what you suggested before I reinstall windows. I will try voltage at 1.6 though the sticker says 1.65V.

If you can believe it, i've been dealing with this memory since about October last year.

I might have one more go at it between now and Saturday. Although i'm sad to say it, i'm going to be purchasing a competitor's kit, 4x2gb, 1600mhz, 8 8 8 24, tomorrow afternoon.

Gskill made me pay for shipping the first time, then sent me a kit which wouldn't work. I emailed them an RMA again after the second kit didn't work and they still wanted me to pay for shipping. I then sent a third email requesting a refund but that was denied. At this point in time i'm fed up with gskills customer care. If I sent the kit back a second time, i would've spent almost 1/3 of the original cost back into shipping.

Normally it wouldn't be such an issue for me, but somehow all the times i've put in this kit of gskills, my OS manages to get corrupt + video card drivers will crash + my games will become corrupt.

This means:

1. Massive headache+personal rage+2v2 partner rage when my starcraft 2 install crashes in the middle of a league game.
                  2. I have to reinstall OS and not put the gskills in (at all) if I want to keep the system error free.
                  3. I have to redownload all the games i've played while running the gskills.

I will be trying everything acid suggests, as a learning experience. After that, i'll put the kit in my closet and refuse to deal with this anymore and somehow i've successfully wasted 170 bucks + time spent troubleshooting this kit and have a kit of unusable memory.
                  Last edited by Pwnedbynim; 03-03-2011, 09:23 PM. Reason: Consistancy.

Comment

Odd

That's real weird,

I have the exact kit and it says 1.6v oddly enough I was having all this trouble last year around April so I feel your pain so as I'm telling you what I've tried trying to remember things.

The Mushkin kit I had was 1.65 as well yet when I put it @ that voltage was having problems with Windows go figure.

The CPU/NB voltage played a big roll in things too by giving it a bit more juice made things more stable that's one thing I can say about the Formula boards very configurable and are known for it.

By setting the CPU/NB to 1.3v balances the draw on the NB which is part of the memory controller.

I really hope any of these help because I remember how frustrating it was for me and I had to do allot of research between the CL3 ram and AMD problems.

At the same time I could have been one of the blessed ones and got a good CPU there was allot of chatter on the forums about how some worked and others didn't.

I'm curious to know how things work out for you I love helping people out with stuff especially on things I pulled my hair out on to get going myself.

Comment

Heh I swear the RAM issues are the most disturbing to me.

I'm severely dissapointed with gskill's customer service so far and will not be purchasing products from them anymore.

Thanks for all your help acid.

Comment

Working...
                      X