12800CL7D-4GBECO and P7P55DE-EVO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12800CL7D-4GBECO and P7P55DE-EVO

I have had my 2?2GB ECO sticks since about October 2010, but have had these troubles from the start (and am only now getting around to asking about them).

1 - Aren't these supposed to be able to support dual channel? The motherboard guide does point out which slots should be used for dual channel (although the colouring makes it obvious anyway), but the computer will just hand without the monitor doing anything or the computer doing anything besides making the usual soft noises (powering fans, hard drives etc.). I can only boot up with the two sticks next to each other (not in dual channel mode).

2 - While these are not designed to be the best sticks for overclocking the RAM (better for overclocking the CPU), I believe they are intended to be able to reach above 1600 speed if the voltage is high enough for a stable level.
    With certain settings, if I run the RAM at 1600 speed but with RAM voltage on Auto, it puts the voltage up to 1.85v, even though manually setting it to 1.35 is perfectly stable!
    (No booting in dual-channel though).
    Why then, even with RAM on either Auto or 1.85v, can it not go above 1600, despite being perfectly stable at 1600 on 1.35v.
    I have even tried much looser latency settings, starting at the normal 7-8-7-21 and trying 8-8-8-24, 9-9-9-24, 9-9-9-27, 10-10-10-27 and things like 12-11-12-27, just to see if I could get it to boot at 1800.
    I have tried 1T, 2T, 3T and Auto, although I think 3T actually just stopped lower RAM speeds from loading too.

Also, just a note, I have been able to run this computer at over 4Ghz stable (though it gets quite hot, but remained stable for the 5+ hours I tested it at that) with RAM at ~1600 7-7-7-21 and may have been able to run it JUST over 1600 at some point, but below 1700 I think. I've forgotten the point at which it just doesn't seem to be able to go higher, whether it was ~1640, ~1680 or actually just over 1700, but as soon as I bumped it a tiny bit higher, nothing seems to get it higher.
    Even if having CPU running quickly at 1600 might be just as or more ideal, shouldn't it be ABLE to go a little higher with nothing else (like OC CPU) forcing it too hard?

ASUS P7P55DE-EVO
    i5 760
    Good cooling* (3?12cm fans, 1?14cm fan)
    750W OCZ PSU (80+ Bronze)
    500GB Caviar Black + F4EG EcoGreen 2TB
    nVidia GTX460 768MB (should be irrelevant)

*except the stock cooler for CPU, but it won't boot with 180 B.C. ? low multiplier like 10 or 12 with normal or with higher than standard voltage settings, so it's not like it's an overheating problem.

The set of sticks you have may not be capable of a faster speed on your current combo., which is one reason so many different speeds are available. Memory chips are made to extremely exacting measurements which can be affected by numerous things during the manufacturing process, for example a slight change in the air pressure when they are made may affect the stamping. The same is true with CPUs and other electronic components which is why you might see CPUs that easily OC to 4GHz while others may only do 3.8, etc, or even have a mobo that just won't run them at 1600. Quite often you might be able to take say six sets of same model components DRAM, CPU and mobos, and end up with numerous different settings to achieve equal performance. You might well be able to take the same sticks and have them OC to even 1700 on a different mobo with a different CPU
    Last edited by Tradesman; 02-12-2011, 07:19 AM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It is also possible that a piece of hardware is bad. You will need to exchange the memory or motherboard to determine what is causing dual channel not to work properly.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
      X