Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D (4x4GB) & Asus P8H67-M Pro *How Do I Find/Use XMP?*

Motherboard: P8H67-M PRO

RAM: 16GB (4x4) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D

CPU: i7 2600 Sandy 3.40Ghz

Computer boots and sees all 16 GBs but I'm getting random shut downs, strange clock settings that reset time to something random and wrong, and an overall not what I'd expect feeling of what a good 16GB should feel like.

BIOS simply shows them as 16GB I can not choose any XMP profile and am hoping you might be able to help me tweak my BIOS so I can tweak this RAM (kind of new to XMP?) in hopes of keeping it and getting it to work. Or is this RAM simply not going to work with my setup? This mobo shows very little "supported" at the moment but newegg says it should work with Sandy's as did the crucial profile scan I ran (listed the 12800 as compatible). TIA for any help you might give been a real frustrating couple of days with what should be a new beast of a machine.

Have to enable XMP

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Have to enable XMP
      I realize that but have not been successful in enabling it for my setup. Doesn't much matter now I suppose... at this point my frustration with this RAM is unlike any I've ever experienced and so it will be returned for a different brand that is plug - play - works.
      Last edited by ipitbull; 02-05-2011, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS, 0306? Could you post your BIOS settings?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

these new P67/H67 motherboards can be kind of quirky with RAM designed for older motherboard chipsets (like the P55 designed RAM you have) so.. like Tman said, a BIOS update could help improve memory compatibility. but in hindsight it would have been better to get some memory designed for sandy bridge. (would have been plug & play with no problems)

anyways, it says on Asus' page that it only supports 1066MHz and 1333Mhz. What frequencies are you trying to run at?
          Last edited by LeetMiniWheat; 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM.
          CPU: i7 4790K
          Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero (z97)
          RAM: G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)

Comment

Originally posted by LeetMiniWheat View Post
            these new P67/H67 motherboards can be kind of quirky with RAM designed for older motherboard chipsets (like the P55 designed RAM you have) so.. like Tman said, a BIOS update could help improve memory compatibility. but in hindsight it would have been better to get some memory designed for sandy bridge. (would have been plug & play with no problems)

anyways, it says on Asus' page that it only supports 1066MHz and 1333Mhz. What frequencies are you trying to run at?

Not sure what you or TMan are talking about but it sounds like smoke and mirror responses, do you guys work for GSkill or something? Or maybe you get forum points just for posting or something - anything Here is the exact RAM I bought from New Egg (link below) it clearly comes in the sizes I bought, packaged as pairs and is designed for Sandy. Yes I had updated bios, tried different dimms in different slots, ran 1 at a time up to 2 at a time up to 3 at a time up to all 4 at a time always random freezes and shut downs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231428

Either way RMA is processed and it's going back for refund. I've seen to many other posts around that lead me to believe G. Skill RAM is just not that good. I'm sure G Skill won't lose any sleep losing me as a customer and that is fine, I'll feel better continuing to use the tried and true and more reputable brand names I've been building with for years.
            Last edited by ipitbull; 02-06-2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Sorry, when I searched for "F3-12800CL9D" I found another pair which was P55 only. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231193 I didn't realize you had another kit designed for sandy's. my mistake

and no one is blowing smoke up your ****. we can definitely sympathize with the problems you're having, but maybe your frustration is a bit misdirected. coming here asking for help and at the same time blaming G.Skill and insulting their products isn't gonna help. we've all seen a bad or defective product from just about every manufacturer. none perfect, so maybe you were unlucky enough to get a pair that slipped through the Q/A, it happens... but most problems are actually user error (in my experience) though I'm not saying this is or isn't the case here. in an ideal world, everything should "just work" out of the box.

and FYI I don't work for G.Skill and we don't get "points" for posting, most of us just do it because we enjoy helping people.

anyways, good luck with the RMA. hopefully you can get it running again with minimal downtime. if you have problems again again, I would encourage you to post here again so we can help you troubleshoot it more. (i.e. running memory tests and such) because It could be something else at fault too
              Last edited by LeetMiniWheat; 02-06-2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

also, I just realized that you're running two kits. (4 sticks) and from what I've seen, many people make the mistake of buying two kits and assuming it will "just work" without realizing 4 sticks can be harder to run on some CPU's/motherboards. I made that same mistake myself before I traded my 4x2GB for 2x4GB. I tried to save a few bucks by getting the smaller size DIMM's but it ended up biting me in the butt in the long run since I had to trade them for the more expensive 2-DIMM kit on top of the restocking fee for the 4 sticks.

if you check G.Skill's official product page, they only guarantees operation of 2 sticks. so it often times takes some additional tweaking to get 4 sticks stable, as apposed to 2. and this is the case with most manufacturers i've seen.

so, anyways... to run 4 sticks you may have to downclock to 1066MHz. or possibly 1333MHz with the right voltages. but it seems 1600 isn't even supported on your motherboard, so that's unlikely to happen.
                Last edited by LeetMiniWheat; 02-06-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

LeetMiniWheat,

Like you, I don't work for GSkill either, but for our efforts to help someone that doesn't even provide basic info until after the fact, I think we've been put in our place for our 'smoke and mirrors'.

I will admit though, if I'm to be insulted, I'm sort of glad it's coming from someone whose been building 'for years', even though they don't know XMP (been out what 3+ years), buy DRAM that is out of spec for their mobo, don't buy DRAM in full sets i.e. 4x4GB, expects 1600 sticks to be plug and play in a 1333 max budget mobo and want to blame their problems on the product and the people they come to for help.

Sort of wonder what ipitbull has been building with for years, PC100....133, those were pretty much all plug and play

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X