New 10666-4GBRH ram showing 5.9 on WEI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 10666-4GBRH ram showing 5.9 on WEI

My F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH memory is only showing as 5.9 on WEI.

Other's reviews on newegg claim they have 7.5 WEI on stock settings.

On my new build, the ram timings did not show stock timings, everything was on "AUTO" and they were 9-9-9-24 for the first 4 values. So I changed the first 4 values to 7-7-7-21 & left everything else on auto and ran the WEI test and my ram is 5.9. Also reverted the settings to auto in which they were 9-9-9-24 and ran the test again and got the same 5.9 WEI results.

I think I didn't set the timing values correctly and also noticed that on the gskill website my ram is rated @ 7-7-7-21-2N, my gskill ram package doesn't show the "2N" timing value and I don't know where to set those values on my bios.

Someone please help me so I can get the most from my ram under stock settings and would like to reach that 7.5 WEI everyone is claiming, I don't want to overclock.

Thanks

I have an Intel Core i3 530 cpu, EVGA P55 LE motherboard, and F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH Ram

CPU can be a major impact on memory performance. and I wouldn't doubt that the WMI performance benchmarks scale differently with dual and quad core CPU's. so maybe others with the 7.5 were using quad core i5's or i7's?

just a thought.

and 2N should be command rate. usual values are 1T or 2T. it's also called tCMD sometimes. It should be somewhere in the advanced memory timings.
    CPU: i7 4790K
    Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero (z97)
    RAM: G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? What are your system voltages?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I found a memory timing setting called "Command Rate" which was set at auto and changed it to "2", I also reset the first 4 timings to 7-7-7-21, the ones that are (in order) tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS. I saved bios, restarted my machine and ran the WEI. This time the assesment ran much faster but in the end the memory index was still 5.9 , the only things that changed were the graphics and gaming graphics windows experience indexes and they dropped from 6.8 for both from before to 6.3 , yikes.

I restarted my pc and changed the command rate to auto which is "0" and left the 7-7-7-21 timings and reran the test. With the command rate set to auto the assesment ran its normal slow speed and I got my graphics and gaming graphics indexes back up to 6.8.

Comment

that's odd. command rate shouldn't make that big a difference. 1T command rate compared to 2T is usually anywhere from 2% to 5% better memory bandwidth, but ends up being typically only 1% to 3% difference in gaming. (from what I've read). it seems like there's a missing piece to this puzzle. was there anything else you changed? was there any apps running in the background that maybe you were unaware of during the tests?

if it runs lower than 2T that's great, but beware of BSOD's since the RAM is rated for 2T and may produce memory errors when running tighter timings.

also, are you running Vista or Windows7 WEI? maybe newegg reviews were showing win7 scores and you're using vista? either way, I still think CPU is the culprit for low scores since you're most likely comparing your dual core to quad core scores.
          Last edited by LeetMiniWheat; 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Im running windows 7 and I run the wei assesment after a fresh OS boot with no programs open except for the WEI assesment page.

Also I just built my pc this past thursday, I don't know if that helps.

Comment

in response to tradesman or "tman"

Im not sure if I have the latest bios, I just built this pc last thursday and havent flashed the bios. I checked the bios and it says it is amibios version 08.00.16 09/09/2009 and on the bios main page at the bottom says v02.67 , not sure if either of those are bios versions or if they are current or not

Here are my system voltages from my bios...

Hardware Health configuration:
              Vcore - 1.199v
              memory - 1.493v & 1.505v (goes back & forth between the 2 values)
              cpu vtt - 1.081v
              pch - 1.061v
              +5v - 5.003v
              +12v - 12.469v
              vcc - 3.344v
              vsb - 3.360v
              vbat - 3.104v

Frequency Voltage Control
              current cpu vcore - 1.21875v
              current dimm voltage - 1.50v
              current pch voltage - 1.050v

Comment

I'd check out at the EVGA site and see what is current, if I remember right this had a few updates to it.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I checked out the evga website and the newest bios is a72 for my motherboard. Not sure where in my bios to figure out which version I have.

Comment

it says the version on the POST screen, but it usually flashes by very quickly. you could also download/install EVGA E-LEET and check on the motherboard tab. it should say the bios version

Comment

I flashed motherboard to the newest bios. I still have WEI 5.9 for my ram.

Comment

maybe double check the DIMM locations in your motherboard manual? perhaps you have both sticks on the same channel and they're not running in dual channel?

Comment

Installing System Memory (DIMMs)
                          Your new motherboard has four 240-pin slots for DDR3 memory. These slots
                          support 1GB, 2GB, 4GB DDR3 technologies. There must be at least one
                          memory bank populated to ensure normal operation. Use the following the
                          recommendations for installing memory.
                           One DIMM: If using 1 DIMM (Single Channel), install into: DIMM slot 1.
                           Two DIMMs: If using 2 DIMMs (Dual Channel), install into: DIMM slots
                          1 and 3.
                           Four DIMMS: If usinng 4 DIMMs (Dual Channel), install into: DIMM
                          slots 2, 1, 4, and 3

http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/...23-LF-E653.pdf
                          Last edited by LeetMiniWheat; 02-01-2011, 02:11 PM. Reason: paste got cut off

Comment

How much available memory is shown when your system is fully booted?

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, when I built my pc I placed my rams in the grey slots which are according to my motherboard manual as slots one and three for a dual channel configuration.

My bios recognizes 4024 mb and windows recognizes 4gb.

In case anyone is wondering, I have 2 sticks of 2gb ram (4 gb total)

I also wanted to know that now that I flashed my bios to the newest version, I now have another option under memory timing settings, it is "dram spd" and has 2 option settings, standard or xmp profile 1. It is currently on standard, is this setting correct or do I need to change it?

Also wanted to ask if my current memory settings are correct:
                              tCL : 7
                              tRCD : 7
                              tRP : 7
                              tRAS : 21
                              command rate : 2

Everything else is on auto by default and had to manually set the above numbers otherwise they would in order 9-9-9-24-1 by default under auto settings

Did I correctly set the command rate? I noticed my ram is supposed to be "2N" but the only two options on my bios are 1 or 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X