Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS / ASUS P8P67 DELUXE Issues

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE
    Memory: F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS (8GB total - 4x2GB)
    Processor: i7-2600K @ 3.40 GHz

Instead of laboring myself with typing ongoing research into the issues I've been having, here is a chat log with ASUS techs from the last couple of days. Assistance is appreciated.

Me
    - Whenever the computer has been off for a long period of time, pressing the power
    button on the computer's causes everything to power up and then turn off about four
    seconds later. After pressing the case's power on button again, the computer will get
    beyond where it normally turned off, then take about 1 minute 30 seconds to POST at
    the blue / gray ASUS screen. Keyboard input is haulted and Q-Code "64" displayed on
    the motherboard during this waiting period. After this wait period is over, the computer
    proceeds into Windows without issue. Uptime and overall stability is fine. If I decide
    to restart the computer at any point, I again have to wait around 1 minute and 30
    seconds to POST.

- The computer will not POST when using the default / detected XMP settings (at 2133.
    My memory is rated at 2200 when BIOS / the motherboard only seems capable of
    running 2133. In order to get the computer to POST, I must use the MemOK
    button.

As a side note (perhaps unrelated to anything), the 1053 BIOS did resolve a problem
    of incorrect memory detection (BIOS and Windows were detected 4 GB instead of 8
    GB). However, the above two issues persisted with the older / original BIOS.
    ASUS
    I suspect the system was searching the correct timing and voltage of the memory modules to make the system POST.
    Please press Memok button to make the system POST firstly, enter the BIOS, save and exit for a test.
    About 2200, if you only use one memory modules, can you get 2200MHZ?
    Me

After shutting the computer down, I turned it on and then held the MemOK button
    (holding the button down when powered off didn't do anything).
    Once it powered up, it when to POST quickly with the message stating that MemOK
    was successful and press F1 to enter setup.

After entering setup, I checked the memory detection and noticed that the Target
    DRAM Speed was set (by BIOS presumably) to 1333MHz (which I think is the standard
    speed for the motherboard).

I also noticed that my XMP settings remained intact with the correct voltages and
    timing set (as indicated by my memory manufacturer). Also, every other setting is set
    to Auto (which it was before).

I then restarted. There was an audible chirp from the buzzer at POST, which occurs
    every time (not sure if this means anything).

Upon reboot, I then performed a normal shutdown with Windows and let the computer
    sit for 10 minutes. I then powered it on again, eight seconds past (not 1:30, yay!) and
    then it chirped and booted.

This issue seems to be fixed for now - thanks for your help. The only minor
    annoyance is the double ASUS BIOS screens, but I heard that was being repaired in
    an upcoming BIOS release.

Regarding the DDR3 2200 memory support, do you know if ASUS plans to match what
    it advertises?

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...ccl&templete=2

...DDR3 2200 is listed, yet my sticks do not work and the speed is not listed in BIOS
    from the drop-down list.

Thanks for your help!
    This morning, after my computer had been off for about eight hours, I pressed the
    power button.

The motherboard received power for a split second and then turned off. It was so
    quick, Q-Codes were not even displayed.

The computer then automatically restarted itself. It posted within 8 seconds (as before
    with the fix) and then presented an error:

"USB Over Current Status Detected"

...and then it shut itself off.

Upon manually turning the computer back on, the same issue occurred with the split
    second power on / off. And then when it restarted itself, it took 1 minute 30 seconds to
    post (AHHH! - back to square one). and then went straight into Windows without any
    issue. It seems as though the original behavior / problem has resurfaced.

Do you have any idea of what the problem could be? Also, any idea about ASUS
    supported the DDR3 2200 speed as advertised?
    ASUS
    You have pinouts on your motherboard called usb power. These have jumpers on them. Please check to see if any of them have come off.
    Please enter BIOS>Ai Tweaker>Memory Frequency and adjust the frequency manually.
    If it is not helpful, could you please try one memory module to check the speed in BIOS?
    I've already tinkered around with different frequencies to no avail. The jumpers are where they should be. Removing all but one module results in the same behavior of the memory detected as 1333Mhz under all settings set to Auto. I have since called ASUS and they recommended that I check with G.Skill.
    Last edited by Crescendo; 01-28-2011, 03:43 PM.

Did you test each kit first to see if they both work fine seperately? Since these are two seperate kits, we need to make sure they are OK seperately, then attempt them together. Then we need to find settings that can stabilize full slots of this memory...

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

When I test each kit separately tomorrow, should I use slots A1 and A2 for both tests? We're just testing POST behavior, right? As I mentioned, ASUS falsely advertises the motherboard supporting DDR3 2200 so speed support issue seems to be their job.

Comment

I just finished tested the modules. Since they are two sets, I made sure that each set of two modules were sequential in serial number during testing. I tried A1 / A2 configurations and A1 / B1 (color coded).

There were no improvements - the behavior exhibited (in terms of POST time, failure to post - quick power on / power off) were the same with both module sets. For the hell of it, I removed all modules and booted - again, split second power on then power off followed by auto rebooting and then screeching by the motherboard speaker Q-Code 22 or something). I think this confirms that the motherboard is the issue. However, even if the motherboard is RMA'd, I still have my doubts on whether this memory is actually supported by the motherboard.

Any further insight? Is anyone / are you aware of anyone who is using this exact memory with this exact motherboard successfully?

Also, ASUS documentation says that 2400MHz and 2200MHz is only used at 2133MHz because of the processor. Perhaps it was unfair to say that they falsely advertised, however, what is the purpose (besides marketing) of mentioning 2400MHz support when the limit is 2133MHz?

Comment

Does sound like the mobo....and does sound like ASUS....we've got another member that posted a response from them on another mobo saying you CAN'T run 12GB of 1600 on a particular mobo, yet the mobo is advertised for 24GB up to 2200 and they even list a 1600 12GB kit on their QVL. Please note I don't work for GSkill so this is only my opinion, but used to use ASUS almost exclusively, though I basically quit using them about 2 years ago except for specific request, due to lack of knowledgeable support and a drop in QC...and then I often argue.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

We use this combo to test and have never had a problem. Replace the motherboard and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Crescendo View Post
              - Whenever the computer has been off for a long period of time, pressing the power
              button on the computer's causes everything to power up and then turn off about four
              seconds later. After pressing the case's power on button again, the computer will get
              beyond where it normally turned off, then take about 1 minute 30 seconds to POST at
              the blue / gray ASUS screen. Keyboard input is haulted and Q-Code "64" displayed on
              the motherboard during this waiting period. After this wait period is over, the computer
              proceeds into Windows without issue. Uptime and overall stability is fine. If I decide
              to restart the computer at any point, I again have to wait around 1 minute and 30
              seconds to POST.
              Hi

I've got the same problem with an ASUS P8P67 deluxe and a 8Gb GSkill kit (F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM)

How do you ended your story ? Did you RMA the motherboard ?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

skadub,
                Do you have the latest BIOS? Are the sticks firmly seated? Should only need to boot into BIOS, enable XMP, select the 1600 profile and go

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  skadub,
                  Do you have the latest BIOS? Are the sticks firmly seated? Should only need to boot into BIOS, enable XMP, select the 1600 profile and go
                  Thanks for your answer Tradesman

Yes i've got he latest bios 2103 but it's the same since bios 1750.

The 2 sticks are firmly seated.

I've tried A1-B1 slots and A2-B2 slots.

In the BIOS i've tried with XMP enabled and/or with manual settings (8-8-8-24 1,5v) and no go.

Sometimes it boots great (the most frequent case)
                  Sometimes it stays at q-code 64 between 15 and 30 s and then boots great.
                  Sometimes it stays at q-code 64 with a back screen.
                  Sometimes it happens after a reboot.

Comment

What's your VCCIO voltage at? May want to try raising it .03 to .05 or so and see if that stabilizes things, if so could then try dropping in .01 increments while maintaining stability, or may have to go up a little higher, don't know where you are at so trying to provide options to play with

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X