Clear All

• ASUS P6X58D Premium - Intel i7-960 - Gskill F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL Unstable

System configuration

MB ASUS P6X58D Premium
    CPU Intel i7-960
    RAM Gskill F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL
    HDD 2 x Western Digital Raptor WD1500HLFS 150GB
    PSU Corsair 850W CMPSU-850TX
    Graphic GeForce 9500GT 1GB (a cheap card I had in the old computer) - I tried with EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB also

My system is not stable, I never tried to overclock it, I use it for business purposes. The main work I do is photo and video editing. No gaming at all.
    It happens a few times a day, the system becomes very very slow suddenly (cannot do anything at all). It doesn't freeze completely but it's so slow I cannot even change between the programs I have opened. The mouse moves normal on the screen (it shows the busy/working sign instead of the arrow) but that's about all I can do. It stays like that for a few minutes and then comes back to normal. It is frustrating and unacceptable for a business. I cannot afford to have the computer down for a minute. I usually show work to clients, sometimes I'm on the phone and have to send email instantly.

I talked to Tim @ Gskill, he was really nice and helpful, great customer service (you cannot find too many companies that offer such a good customer service these days - I talked to ASUS before and they hung up the phone on me 5 times, horrible customer service). Tim suggested me to use the XMP setting in the Ai Tweaker which helped a bit, but still not perfect. I'm just trying to see what suggestions I get here before I call Gskill again. Maybe even a Gskill moderator can jump in with advise.

Thank you!
    Last edited by shiro; 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Slow Down

Sort of sounds like a Bot or a Virus.......might want to pull down MalwareBytes, install and run in safe mode, just to see

Comment

Originally posted by RamJam View Post
      Sort of sounds like a Bot or a Virus.......might want to pull down MalwareBytes, install and run in safe mode, just to see
      I will try that today, but I forgot to add that I had fresh Windows (Vista 32bit, Vista 64bit, Windows 7 64bit) installed a few times since I bought the computer and no change.

EDIT: just scanned it and no infections found.
      Last edited by shiro; 01-14-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Test one module at a time with the XMP, you may have a bad module. If one performs slightly differently, doesn't POST, unstable, just send them all in for a new kit and the replacement should work fine.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          Test one module at a time with the XMP, you may have a bad module. If one performs slightly differently, doesn't POST, unstable, just send them all in for a new kit and the replacement should work fine.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          I'll give that a try, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Is there anyway I could test them with a software? I don't really want to send them if they're ok. I'm just trying to make sure they're bad or not.

Thanks again!

Comment

You can download and use MemTest to check the sticks, check here:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                You can download and use MemTest to check the sticks, check here:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
                Great, thanks. I'll give that a try, I'll post results.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I've tested all the memory modules one at a time with MemDiagnostics in Windows 7. I use the advance option which I understood runs all the tests available. All the results were ok, no problems with the memory.

After consulting to Tim @ Gskill I ended up requesting an RMA# for the motherboard. I'll see how that goes, I'll keep you posted.

Just for reference here is a link of a video showing the system's behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRCyg37TYWk

Comment

UPDATE: I just got my replacement for the motherboad but the problem is not gone. After this I decided to replace the memory since that was the last thing not replaced. I got an RMA# for the memory kit, I will post updates when I get the new ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X