• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35C-DS3R and F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

My setup is
    MB: GA-P35C-DS3R and
    RAM: 4GB Gskill memory F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ,
    CPU: Intel Q6600

I run it with settings: 333 (FSB) x 7 = 2.3GHz to get nominal frequency on memory and cpu underclocked.
    Memory is set manually to 5-5-5-15,
    Refresh to ACT delay is 64, all the rest of timings is Auto.

I needed to set voltage on DDR to +0.7V to get it reporting 2.08V on the health check screen in bios. fsb is upped +0.1V.

Normally PC works ok (it's stable), however a rather strange problem occurs occassionally after resets.
    After a reset (some times), when memory gets tested (post screen) PC resets again and comes up with default FSB. Meaning FSB comes back to 266 and memory timings are set to auto. Turning PC off and setting bios back to its working condition doesn't work at this point. I need to leave it for a while before retrying it again.

I cannot find any problem with any of the components, I use Antec's P190 case with 1200W of power supply. So there is definitely enough juice and voltages are stable.

Is there anything you could suggest at this point? I was thinking about giving a try with DDR3.

Would F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL which is 8GB of RAM work with GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard? Has any of you tried running such setup?

Prob resetting because of voltage is marginal, whatt do you have the NB and vCore at?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Vcore and NB is on auto at the moment. I figured that CPU is not overclocked, I wouldn't need upping these settings. Is that wrong understanding?

Comment

W/ the 6600 at 3GHz may need a little extra voltage in vCore to support stability at higher speeds and start-up since it's actually rated at 2.4 (which is fine, have a 6600 running 3.6 24/7) and also may need more voltage to support NB (Memory Controller) might try 1.32 vCore and +.1 to NB, if stable can gradually lower voltages while maintaining stability......

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

My CPU is underclocked from 2.4GHz to 2.33GHz . I don't see it as a valid suggestion to increase chipset's voltage unless GSKILL memory needs it for some reason.
          Although it doesn't make sense i will give it a try. I have set MCH +0.1V.

Do you think my motherboard (GA-P35C-DS3R) would support 8GB of DDR3 (F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL)?
          Manual says it wouldn't, but maybe Gigabyte couldn't test it when manual was written as there was no such modules back then.

Comment

Believe the board rating was for up to 2x2GB sticks and they had the limit at 1066... you mention 1333 w/ 2x4GB - (there may be BIOS update that has gone through, but those were the specs last time I looked, will try and check when I get a chance)

If underclocked it will take more from the CPU and the MC (in the NB) to push these sticks, if it can even do it, even at 266 (stock 1066) it takes a bit more to run 8 instead of 4. If going to stay underclocked may want to run the sticks at 800

Tman

Comment

The manual says:
              Memory DDR3:
              - 2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 4 GB of system memory
              - Dual channel memory architecture
              - Support for DDR3 1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

If I had 8GB DDR3 sticks to try out I would, theretically P35 chipset supports that amount, practically it might be gigabyte's limitation.

I will stick to what I have right now, perhaps it's wise to have chipset's voltage upped when running memory at 1000.
              I have noticed PC being more responsive with day to day tasks comparing it to running at ram at 800. CPU speed doesn't make that much of a difference unless you do some computing intensive stuff.
              Thanks for all your suggestions.

Comment

No, the P35 chipset will not support 8GB DDR3. Only after P45 were 4GB modules supported..

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Someone make sure its right information..

Well some ppl says that Ripjaws DO work. How come thats only P45 is said to work with those?. I also checked with a company that sells ram and they even managed to recomend a Corsair-set that also will work!?

My question: Can G.Skill send me a free pair and Ill check and ofcourse keep them if so;-)

My second question is -Will It work and then Is it possible to OC so my Q8400 will hit 3,4Ghz again? Thats a must that they allow OC.

My third question - Will the performance be better then DDR2 ?

Comment

RipJaws can work, but they must have the correct specification like capacity. P35 did not support 4GB modules. P45 supports 4GB modules, and so does P55. The RipJaws are made for P55, but they can work on older platforms.

To answer your questions:

1. No, I already know the answers, we have a mountain of motherboards here.

2. Will what work? If you purchase the right memory, then it will work and you can overclock.

3. Of course, DDR3 will perform better than DDR2.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                    X