CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition 965 3.4 Deneb

CPU Fan: Thermaltake Frio

Case: Thermaltake Armor A90

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 5770 ICEQ

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231308

PSU: XFX Black Edition 750 Watt

So I'm on my first build and I ran into some problems. After I'm finished assembling I turn it on and get to a screen that says something along the lines of, "Insert media disc to install windows then press any key". So I did it and get to the screen of the win 7 installation where it says, "Install Now" when I pressed it it said something about CMOS error I believe but I might remember wrong. So I restarted my computer and ran a memory test and it said there was a hardware problem so I'm assuming my problem is with my RAM sticks.

I restarted my computer again to give it another try and got a blue screen. Then tried a couple more times to no avail. I've also tried re-seating my RAM sticks a few times with no results. Now my computer starts but I get no video on my monitor.

As I've said before this is my first build so I'm unexperienced with this sort of thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by BlandAnimal; 01-09-2011, 07:03 PM.

May want to try with a single stick, some BIOSs and Windows have a problem starting w/ more than 4GB. If thats not the problem, check that sticks are in tight (clips firmly locked), all electrical and cable connections are snug, power cable to graphics card...May also want to pull the CPU and reseat it (though thats probably not the problem) Also check in the BIOS to the settings and reset all to defaults, then go in and set the base timings and DRAM voltage to spec along w/ CR to 2 and try

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      May want to try with a single stick, some BIOSs and Windows have a problem starting w/ more than 4GB. If thats not the problem, check that sticks are in tight (clips firmly locked), all electrical and cable connections are snug, power cable to graphics card...May also want to pull the CPU and reseat it (though thats probably not the problem) Also check in the BIOS to the settings and reset all to defaults, then go in and set the base timings and DRAM voltage to spec along w/ CR to 2 and try
      Thanks for the suggestions and quick reply. I will try these when I get home from school tomorrow and update with my results.

Comment

Be looking for it, hope that's the trick

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I just tried putting in just one RAM stick and nothing changed. My motherboard runs in dual channel mode if that makes any difference. I also reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. I really have no idea whats wrong. But i only have 4 standoffs when there are 6 spots for them on the case and motherboard if that is important.

If you dont know whats wrong do you know of any tech forums that may be able to help me?

Comment

If you don't have standoffs in the available spots the contacts where the holes are may have shorted or are shorting. Might fix that then try again, with a single stick in slot 1, closest to the CPU, fire it up and get into BIOS to make sure it sees it and the timings, voltage is right, then let it try to boot.

Tman

Comment

If you don't have standoffs in the available spots the contacts where the holes are may have shorted or are shorting. Might fix that then try again, with a single stick in slot 1, closest to the CPU, fire it up and get into BIOS to make sure it sees it and the timings, voltage is right, then let it try to boot.
              Uh oh I hope my motherboard won't be screwed up by that. I guess I'll order some more standoffs. But the problem is I cant get to the BIOS because nothing shows up on the screen. I've made sure the video card's power is in and the HDMI ports are plugged in on both sides (video card and monitor).

Comment

If all is on and has power, does mobo fire up...i.e. fans etc? If so could maybe borrow a graphics card?..but I'd get the mobo installed right first...might ask friends if any of them have ever built any systems, or the resident computer guru where you work or even a small systems shop or retailer close that does repairs i.e. BestBuy

Tman

Comment

If all is on and has power, does mobo fire up...i.e. fans etc? If so could maybe borrow a graphics card?..but I'd get the mobo installed right first...might ask friends if any of them have ever built any systems, or the resident computer guru where you work or even a small systems shop or retailer close that does repairs i.e. BestBuy
                  Yes all the fans and LED's on my case turn on along with some lights on my motherboard. I only have one other graphics card in the house which is from about 7 years ago lol. So I will try to get a hold of another graphics card and maybe take it to a shop. Also I just ordered some standoffs off of amazon so they should be here in a few days.

Comment

Keep us updated

Tman

Comment

Hello again. My standoffs came in the mail today and I installed them and reseated one RAM stick in the closest spot to the CPU which was not easy because I'm working with a Frio which is a very bulky cooler.

After all of that it ended up working and I havent gotten any blue screens or hardware issues. Thank you so much for all your help and I will continue to purchase G.Skill products.

Comment

Sounds good, keep us updated on your progress

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X