F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI, Intel i7-950, and Gigabyte X58A-UD5 rev. 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI, Intel i7-950, and Gigabyte X58A-UD5 rev. 2.0

Hi all, I have been browsing the forums the last couple days as I just finished my first computer build, and had installed the F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI RAM. I read about some problems with the default frequency of the RAM, and so I entered the BIOS to check what mine was running at.

As it turned out, mine was only clocking in at 1066mHz, and so based upon the various forum posts I found, I adjusted the BIOS setting to "Profile 1" (I forget what the actual category is). This increased the speed to 1600mHz, matching what it is supposed to be at.

Now, when I save the adjusted settings and exit BIOS, I look in my case to find some warning LEDs lit up. They are telling me that my CPU is all of a sudden running hot... really hot, like in excess of 80C. Given that I have stock cooling for the time being, I quickly shut-down, and restart to get into the BIOS again. LEDs are still lit up, telling me its overheating, but when I check the CPU temp, its reading at about 45-47C with each of the cores at 39-42C, no where near the 80C that should trigger the LED indicators. So out of curiosity, I re-adjust the RAM speed to default settings, and low-and-behold, the LEDs turn off.

So, all this being said, should I be concerned that these indicator LEDs are lighting up, given that the temp reading is well below that of what the LED indicators are reporting, or do you think I can adjust it back to Profile 1 without having to worry about frying my CPU or anything else?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as this whole building of a computer is new for me, and I am trying to better understand it all before I attempt any OCing of the CPU, GPU, or Memory. Thanks! (And sorry for the rather long first post!)

Might check that you have the latest BIOS, if the mobo is defaulting to 1066, think it's suppose to be 1333...may also want to set the DRAM timings and speed manually, depending on what your doing when using a profile you may be getting the speed of the DRAM you want, but may also be OCing the CPU drastically, not having more info not sure...might want to post your BIOS settings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

When I get out of work, I'll try to post the BIOS settings. Just not at that computer right now. I'll double check to see if I have the latest BIOS as well, while at it.

Thanks, I'll report back tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

I should be around later tonight (PST) and will check back

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok, so I pulled info that I thought might be helpful and relevant, though I am not all that familiar with the info that you might require to help out. I had adjusted the "Extreme Memory Profile" or XMP to Profile 1, and that was what adjusted the RAM speeds correctly, but gave me the issue with the CPU LEDs.

All settings are auto for the time being.

CAS Latency Time : 8
          tRCD: 8
          tRP: 8
          tRAS: 20
          tRC: 27 auto
          tRRD: 4 auto
          tWTR: 4 auto
          tWR: 8 auto
          tWTP: 19 auto
          tWL: 7 auto
          tRFC: 60 auto
          tRTP: 4 auto
          tFAW: 16 auto
          command Rate (CMD) 1 auto

B2B CAS Delay: - auto
          Round Trip Latency: 51 auto

Channel Interleaving : 6 Auto
          Rank Interleaving: 4 Auto

Prof. DDR Voltage = 1.5
          Prof. QPI Voltage = 1.175

Other Info:

BCLK: 134.97
          CPU Freq: 3239.4
          Memory Freq: 1079.90

VCore: 1.264 V
          DRAM: 1.520 V

If you need anything else, just let me know. I'll check back intermittently throughout the evening. Thanks again!

Comment

CR (Command Rate) to 2, QPI Voltage 1.2, if the lights continue may want to drop GB a line

Tman

Comment

If I drop the CR to 2 and increase the QPI voltage to 1.2, should the speed and the latencies automatically adjust themselves to 1600 and 7-8-7-24-2N? I'll test in the interim, but just am wondering what to expect, or if I will then have to adjust the latency manually.

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry, I was primarily checking voltages, the DRAM timings and speed need to be put in manually

Tman

Comment

Ok, I put in the numbers you said, and then changes the XMP to "profile 1" which had the expected timings and speed preset, and I didn't get the CPU LEDs lighting up on me anymore. So success! It's holding steady at about 42C which shouldn't trigger the LEDs to light up. Thanks again for your help, I certainly appreciate it!

Comment

No problem, have fun

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X