Finding RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding RAM

Anyone building a system has to rely on someone to get a starting source.. I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R with a i7-950. I did manage to luck out and find kit of F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL. It runs and it passed 24 hours on memtest. I'd like another option. RAM with a bit better timing. Where do I start?

As it happens the above RAM kit is not recomended for my mb and gigabyte doesn't really mention much of anything either. I went to the GSkill configurator and lo! No GA-X58A-UD3R.

Mushkin! Same deal!

The choices I have are mostly 6 gig sets and I'm told by some that it's best to populate all the slots and others say to stick to the 12 gig. Can anypone hel- me out on that one?

Now I have noticed that the crew here do go out of their way to be helpfull, so if anyone could comment of the following RAM kits . My objective is to have a stable system with a conservative overclock. Main uses are lightroom 3.2 and photoshop CS5. I shoot RAW and I can come home with upwards of a 1000 images after a day's shooting.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 6GB (3x2GB) Triple Channel Kit (F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM (I'd like to use 2 kits)

G.SKILL Trident Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 12GB (3x4GB) Triple Channel Kit
    7-8-7-24-2N(F3-12800CL7T-12GBTDD)

G.SKILL PK Series DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10666) 6GB (3x2GB) Triple Channel Kit (F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK) This one is 7-7-7-18 at 1333mhz and 2 sticks would be $180. The color sucks but that's life.

Since this is a GSkill forum I won't ask about the Mushkin Redline 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL6 (998805) 6-8-6-24

An possibilities here??

Thanks

Bryan

I just found this one. It will have to be ordered and shipped, but it looks promising. timing is 7-7-7-21

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH

Comment

With the 950 should be good for any of the sets mentioned, the last posted the Ripjaws (Medium), the RM model is extremely popular and often out of stocl, so might want to get them while you can
      Last edited by Tradesman; 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

How does the trident fit in. It's pricey but it from a local supplier? That other kit would come from california and that's a hassle the way they do business.

G.SKILL Trident Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 12GB (3x4GB) Triple Channel Kit
        7-8-7-24-2N(F3-12800CL7T-12GBTDD)

Comment

Yes, those would be fine, the PKs will also...any of the three would be fine, the Tridents are a little higher priced normally, the PKs a little lower and a bit older

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

That Trident would be nice if you can find it in stock.

For what you do, just make sure you purchase 3 x 4GB.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Will this Titan 12 gig set add any real world difference to an overclock over the Ripjaws 12 gig 9-9-9-24. It's about $150 extra? Those heatsinks are a thing of beauty.

Comment

The Tridents with CL7 vs the Ripjaws @ CL9 = a fair size difference, performance wise - a rough sort of way of looking at it, perspective wise would be to say the Tridents do an operation in 7/10ths of a time period, say a second, while the Ripjaws will take 9/10ths of a like time period... or in the time it takes the ripjaws to perform 7 operations the Tridents will already have done 9

Tman

Comment

CL7 is much better than CL9, but to justify $150, it just depends whether you need it or if it is worth it for you. For those that use the computer for work, maybe video editing, rendering, photoshop, then the money is worth it since the performance is being used. But for one that just surfs the internet, multi-task, and just want enough memory for the future, then the extra $150 can be saved for something else.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm staying with the GSkill F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL . It's still 2 steps above the i7 and board requirements. I'll put the extra money towards another SSD.

No I'm not an overclocker that continually runs synthetic benchmarks. I love photography and the computer is a wonderful too that enables me to process up to 1000 images at a crack. I'm constantly reviewing the image files and that involves a heckovalotta memoryand drive space. I shoot raw which is a digital negative so to speak. Raw files are uncompressed data and take up to 4 times what a fine jpeg does.

Using lightroom and photoshop PS5 is memory intensive but very much worth having and setting up right

The other issue is the 12 gig of GSkill CL9 has been rock solid even at a moderate overclock. Like they say "a bird in the hand"

I like the product especialy G Skills commitment to customer service. I spent over 35 years as a refrigeration field engineer for some large manufacturters and I was a senior systems and control resource for both of the companies i worked for. After that long in customer service, I know talent and dedication when I see it.

Thanks gentlemen!
                    There's a lot of crap out there and you have risen well above the norm

Comment

Glad to hear a decision has been made. Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. We will continue to work hard for appreciative customers such as yourself.

If you have any problems or questions, we're one click away.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Keep in touch and let us know how all is

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X