Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange issue with the PIS

Hello,
    I'm posting here since I've read lots of replies to questions like mine.
    My rig is: i5-750@4GHz, Maximus III Formula and (formerly) GSkill ECO. All is working fine! But I decided for an upgrade, so I got the PIS DDR3-2200 (F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS) from a friend.
    They worked fine at the first bootup, setted at 2000MHz 7-9-9-26 1,62V (instead of 7-10-10-26@1,65V for 2200MHz). Then had lot of crashes after the reboot... System got irresponsive during BIOS setup, or hanged during POST... then sticking with a bare black scren. "Ok", I thought, "I'm a OC loser. Let's try the AutoTuning". Nothing new, so back my manual sets...
    Reset and Reset, all started up but... Hey, in BIOS there where just showing 2048Mb as available, even if two sticks were recognised! In Windows, I can see though CPUID that I'm running in Single Channel with 2048Mb. Sob! So I started trying with Memtest86+ each mem bank. One is perfect, the second is not so good - strange, no errors but hangs.
    I tried another boot session with 2 sticks, I can get in Windows with 4096Mb but in Single Channel only. After that, it seems the BIOS is trying to set the DualChannel and hangs in POST.
    I'm back with ECOs, and all is running fine...
    Any suggestions? I can give more data, if needed.

Thanks in advance! AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    {SilverStoneRavenRV01}{CorsairVX550W}{MaximusIIIFo rmula}{Corei5-750@4GHz YbrisCooled}{G.Skill PIS DDR3-2200}{SapphireHD5850}
    {VelociRaptor300}{Dell U2311H}{MX Revolution}{G13}{...and a simple keyboard.}

Can you post your BIOS settings, might want to look at raising CPU/NB a bit also may want to manually set timings, CR and voltage to spec

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm posting them tomorrow... I have to recreate the Single Channel situation.
      I can up this, with the ECOs

Imagine anyway RAM volts @ 1.65

Thanks Tman!
      {SilverStoneRavenRV01}{CorsairVX550W}{MaximusIIIFo rmula}{Corei5-750@4GHz YbrisCooled}{G.Skill PIS DDR3-2200}{SapphireHD5850}

Comment

I'll check back w/ u

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          I'll check back w/ u
          It's getting really difficult to recreate the SC, it seems the M3F is trying to make a DC from the two sticks, but it crashes trying... so it leave them in SC, excluding or including a stick. I couldn't still find the one is faulting.

Comment

Prob will need to boost some voltages, will be waiting for the BIOS settings

Tman

Comment

They both should perform the same. You said one hangs, so you may want to try another kit.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Prob will need to boost some voltages, will be waiting for the BIOS settings
                Tonite I'll take another testing session... I'll post them surely, sorry for being so late.

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                They both should perform the same. You said one hangs, so you may want to try another kit.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH
                You mean I should RMA them?
                I'm using the ECOs for now, they work great, but I'm worried sending the PIS so far (Taiwan, right?).

Anyway, thanks for your support!!!

Comment

You had said you got these from a friend...can they be returned and/or exchanged from where your friend got them? Otherwise, yes believe the RMA would go through Taiwan, hopefully GSkill will be out today and can answer more fully

Tman

Comment

I'm back!
                    Maybe I can obtain an RMA from the webshop he ordered the PIS, surely I'll ask them, but I just want to be sure.

You had said you got these from a friend...can they be returned and/or exchanged from where your friend got them? Otherwise, yes believe the RMA would go through Taiwan, hopefully GSkill will be out today and can answer more fully
                    I couldn't get a photo of my BIOS settings, but they are equal to showed in V-Turbo. This is the best I could do:

XMP settings but bclk at 200MHz.
                    You can see they are working in Single Channel, two sticks recognized but just one is working.
                    When I start CPU-Tweaker I get a "At least one DIMM need to be in channel A"...
                    I'm running BIOS 2001 (07/22/2010), is it good?

EDIT: Switched the DIMMs, I got DualChannel and 4Gb!

Tests going on... LinX running...!

Thanks again!

Marco
                    Last edited by smanet; 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Keep us informed

Tman

Comment

Good morning!

I've found the 'weak' stick, it was the one I firstly had on channel A, then switched to channel B. Windows boots correctly, but it's very unstable and LinX or OCCT fail after 20/30seconds. Uninstalling it, LinX runs smoothly till the end of a 20 rounds.

I'm leaving my PC running memtest86+ on single modules again.

Comment

Prob want to contact for an RMA or return to your retailer - GSkill can be reached at rma@gskillusa.com, the should be in Monday

Tman

Comment

Prob want to contact for an RMA or return to your retailer - GSkill can be reached at rma@gskillusa.com, the should be in Monday
                            Hello! Sorry I'm updating this now. My sticks are on the way to Taiwan, since my retailer isn't supporting customers when they can do 'direct RMA requests'.

Comment

Hello there!
                              I'm just confirming that a new pair of sticks has arrived, brand new, sealed in box.
                              Fantastic!

Italian Customs confirm being one of the most unefficient but expensive in world. The packet got 3 days from Italy to Tawin (FedEx), GSkill tested and packed the new ones (1 day, wow!), once posted the pack took 4 day to Italy, and then... 10 days of stop! grrrr!

Btw, I have one more question. RAM is running for some weeks, today I disinstalled the fan, and find this:

One module heatspread is opening...! What should I do? I just don't want to get the RAM out of warranty...!

Comment

Working...
                              X