• Show
Clear All

• RAM not overlocking

Details:
    RAM: 2x2 GB G.skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    DDR3-1600 PC3-12800
    CL9-9-9-24 1.5v

Motherboard: Asrock N68C-S UCC
    Processor: AMD Athlon II x3 (Unlocked to a Quad-Core)

I bought 2x2 GB (4 GB) of g.skill ram, My bios puts it at a speed of 800 MHz and my computer will turn on normally. I then restarted and overclocked it to 1600 MHz and set the timings to 9-9-9-24 and the voltage to 1.53 (close to 1.5 as I could get). but when it restarts the screen will just stay blank and it will not POST. Only way I can get it to come on again is if I reset the CMOS.

I have tried:
    1) Ignoring the timings and voltage and leave it on auto, then overclock to 1600 Mhz. Again no POST and a black screen.

2) set the timings, leaving voltage on auto and overclocking it to 1600 MHz, again nothing.

3) set the voltage to 1.53v, leave timings on auto and overclock it to 1600 MHz, Guess what? Nothing.

I don't know what else to do, Could anyone suggest anything that might make it work?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben
    Last edited by thebennyboy; 12-30-2010, 07:43 AM.

Do you have the latest BIOS? May want to try and run at 1333 or even 1066 and see how that goes, to hit 1600 with your CPU may take a lot of tweaking if it can do it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Current DRAM frequency is 400 MHz, it should be 800 but if i put it up to that that above happens.

I Have also tried on those settings, it will not want to go above 800 MHz.

Yes i have latest bios, 1.40.

Here is some more info about the processor:

Model

Brand
      AMD

Series
      Athlon II X3

Model
      ADX440WFGIBOX

CPU Socket Type

CPU Socket Type
      Socket AM3

Tech Spec

Core
      Rana

Multi-Core
      Triple-Core

Name
      Athlon II X3 440

Operating Frequency
      3.0GHz

Hyper Transports
      4000MHz

L2 Cache
      3 x 512KB

Manufacturing Tech
      45 nm

64 bit Support
      Yes

Hyper-Transport Support
      Yes

Virtualization Technology Support
      Yes

Multimedia Instruction
      MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a, Advanced Bit Manipulation, AMD64 technology, AMD-V (virtualization) technology, Enhanced Virus Protection

Voltage
      0.85V - 1.425V

Thermal Design Power
      95W
      Last edited by thebennyboy; 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Might try 7-7-7-21 at 1066 and if you could post your BIOS settings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Might try 7-7-7-21 at 1066 and if you could post your BIOS settings
          Just tried that and it did not work. Ive got the bios settings and am gonna post them in a moment.

Comment

Comment

I've got to run for a bit will back in and check in a few hours

Tman

Comment

Tried a few other settings, but still cannot get it to work.

Comment

Load BIOS defaults.

Set the memory to DDR3-1333

Set timings to 8-8-8-24

Set Voltage to 1.50V

Let me know how that works.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Didn't work unfortunatly, nothing happens still. It turns on but the screen stays off and nothing happens, no post or error beeps.

Comment

Have you run Memtest on each stick individually

Tman

Comment

My brother just tried it in his computer and it overclocked to 1600 Mhz without a fuss. Im starting to think it could be a bios flaw or an itty gritty setting somewhere that needs setting before it will work properly.

Comment

MIght try 1.55 on the DRAM and raise the CPU voltage a bit

Tman

Comment

Didn't work unfortunatly, I've fired off an e-mail to Asrock to see if they know whats causing it. I really appretiate the help so far.

I was having a look at the HT link speed, and it appears that on my brother it is 2000 MHz. My motherboard and processor should be able to have HT link speed of 2000 MHz according to a few sites ive looked at. In the BIOS it won't let me make it any higher than 1000 MHz.

Comment

Interesting...let us know what you hear, if you would, Thanx

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X