Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD on exiting hibernation - RipJaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with a 4GB set of GSkill RipJaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL I ordered from NewEgg on Black Friday. I can't get it to come out of hibernation properly. If it doesn't blue screen immediately, it will lock up hard within a minute.

My other set of memory does not have this problem.

System details:
    MSI 790GX-GD65 mainboard - on supported list
    500W Antec power supply
    Phenom II X4 945 Revision RB-C3
    Onboard graphics and/or Sapphire 4830
    2x 500GB drives in RAID 1
    Win7 Ultimate

The weirdest thing:
    With all 4 sticks of memory in, I went 24 hours with Prime95 and another 24 with Memtest. So it's just something weird when coming out of hibernation. (Yes, I reset the size of the hibernate file too.)

What I've tried:
    Leaving old memory in - works great
    Both sets of memory in - *BSOD*
    2x Gskill sticks - *BSOD*
    1x Gskill stick (each one separately) - *BSOD*

I've loosened the timings, slowed the memory down to 1066 speeds, upped the voltages, waved a rubber chicken over the chassis both in a clockwise and counter-clockwise direction, swapped slot of the memory, and so on.

Any further thoughts or ideas? I'm stumped & thinking it's time to RMA

-J

Could try disabling Hybrid Sleep, this has also come up w/ some large sata drives and/or RAID setup w/4 sticks in particular....there's a hotfix out there that might help, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Also check the BIOS and disable C1E and EISD (speedstep)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Did you raise CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V for DDR3-1600?

Raising DRAM Voltage to 1.60V can also help.

Or to test the memory only, try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V and this should work fine.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks Tradesman & GSKILL TECH.

I tried the various voltage and timing changes already. Note that I also tried slowing down the memory to 1066 speed as well. I've been building and overclocking PC's since the days of the 386. So I've done all my troubleshooting homework already.

I haven't yet tried the hotfix but I wanted to point out this before doing so:

The memory tests fine, the biggest problem (that I'm not having with my other 2 sticks of DDR3) is that even with just 1 of my GSKILL modules in, it won't resume from hibernate. So with 2 sticks of K******n memory, it comes back from hibernate fine but with one or two sticks of the GSKILL, it won't.

I don't see how the hotfix would make a difference in the scenarios where I'm going from 4GB (K*****on) and my system is behaving to 2 or 4GB (GSKILL) and my system isn't. I've even tried 1 kingston & 1 gskill without luck.

Has anyone seen this behavior? I don't have another DDR3 box to test this on but it sure seems like a memory issue.

-J
          Last edited by joshin; 12-28-2010, 06:22 PM. Reason: Adding more info

Comment

It's possible that coming out of hibernation it's just not providing enough voltage to initialize the sticks and the others have a lower threshold....maybe GSkill will have something more, I don't use hibernate, so am at a bit of a loss, have you disabled the BIOS CPU power setting like C1E

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by joshin View Post
              Hi all,

I'm having trouble with a 4GB set of GSkill RipJaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL I ordered from NewEgg on Black Friday. I can't get it to come out of hibernation properly. If it doesn't blue screen immediately, it will lock up hard within a minute.

My other set of memory does not have this problem.

System details:
              MSI 790GX-GD65 mainboard - on supported list
              500W Antec power supply
              Phenom II X4 945 Revision RB-C3
              Onboard graphics and/or Sapphire 4830
              2x 500GB drives in RAID 1
              Win7 Ultimate

The weirdest thing:
              With all 4 sticks of memory in, I went 24 hours with Prime95 and another 24 with Memtest. So it's just something weird when coming out of hibernation. (Yes, I reset the size of the hibernate file too.)

What I've tried:
              Leaving old memory in - works great
              Both sets of memory in - *BSOD*
              2x Gskill sticks - *BSOD*
              1x Gskill stick (each one separately) - *BSOD*

I've loosened the timings, slowed the memory down to 1066 speeds, upped the voltages, waved a rubber chicken over the chassis both in a clockwise and counter-clockwise direction, swapped slot of the memory, and so on.

Any further thoughts or ideas? I'm stumped & thinking it's time to RMA

-J
              I'm having problems of my own with my memory, and have nothing to contribute to your case, but I have to say I love the part about waving a rubber chicken over the chassis. Awesome. Maybe I should try that and see if I have any better luck than your having.

Comment

Yeah, tried it all. Waiting on GSKILL to determine if I should keep trying and/or RMA or return it to NewEgg and stick with known manufacturers.

-J

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                It's possible that coming out of hibernation it's just not providing enough voltage to initialize the sticks and the others have a lower threshold....maybe GSkill will have something more, I don't use hibernate, so am at a bit of a loss, have you disabled the BIOS CPU power setting like C1E

Comment

I would suggest sending them in for RMA to see if a new kit works better. It is a very odd problem.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X