Hello,

I have this rig:

Gigabyte GTX 470 GDDR5 1280MB 320 bits
    Intel i7 950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz
    Gigabyte X58A UD3R
    G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 6GB 3x2GB 9-9-9-24/ G Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ
    Forceware 258.96
    Win 7 64 bits Ultimate

and the FSB proportion is 6:1. But when I overclock the i7 950 to 4.20GHz and a 200 FSB I got a proportion 4:1?

Thanks,

That is correct.

133 x 12 (6:1) = DDR3-1600

200 x 8 (4:1) = DDR3-1600

It is dependent on your target CPU frequency. So if you want high CPU OC, BCLK (FSB) must be high. Voltages also need to be high. If you don't need a very high CPU OC, then a low BCLK is OK and less voltage is needed. This is why they have Extreme Series CPU where everything is unlocked. Then you don't have to worry about this. But we all know those CPUs are $$$ so typically only for pro overclockers or people that need that kind of performance.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the explanation.

So, in the end, FSB proportion of 6:1 or 4:1 at 1600 I?ll have the same performance? I need some high cpu overclock for flight sims, and sure, voltages are higher and temperatures as well and fans, like aircraft propellers, at full speed!

Comment

The system will be faster with the higher BCLK

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

But the BCLK will affect the FSB proportions? Seems that 6:1 make the system runs better than 4:1.

Comment

The higher the BCLK goes, the more voltage comes into play, but the higher bus speed provides more boost that the higher multiplier..you also run into the locked multiplier.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks! How far can I go with these memories FSB in my rig? They?re rated at 1600. Can I go to 1800, 2000 increasing latency?

Comment

Anythings possible, but wouldn't count on it. Might be able to OC them some, will want to keep an eye on temps and voltages required to get where you want to go.....also keep your stable settings written down in case of bad crash (and if running RAID keep a copy of required drivers available if need to reinstall comes up) OCing can be interesting, but like the scouts, always want to be prepared

Tman

Comment

You can try 1.65V to see what the memory can handle.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks!
                    Another question: if I double the ammount of RAM to 12GB, will I see major improvement in gaming and computing?

Comment

Gaming probably none, computing,it depends on what you do......heavy multitasking, video, photos, CAD you'll see improvement, also w/ 12 GB you could set up a fairly healthy RAM disk which could really boost overall performance....including gaming, as you could actually load some games onto the RAM disk and eliminate the drive on reads

Tman

Comment

Ummm...interesting the ramdisk stuff for gaming. Actually I?ve already thought about it but my games are flight sims and the smaller one has over 15GB and the larger 26GB with all the skins and mods and, perhaps, if I get 24GB RAM I could use for the smaller one. My OS disk is a Phoenix Pro 60GB and I?ve used it for one of the sims expecting a boost in fps but I?ve got none, only stutter free, which is great, but also I?ve got a nearly full and slower SSD. Guess that sooner or later I?ll pick a larger one and double the RAM as well, let?s see. Appreciated,

Comment

Let us know how it goes, for the gaming end, could also go w/ another Phoenix and pair them in RAID 0, that's what I run my OSs off of and primary apps, but been playing with the RAMDrive for temp/cache/etc as well as often used data files......slows down the shutdown a bit and the startup, but it cuts down on the write cycles to the RAID and cuts down a little on the RAID storage

Tman

Comment

Working...
                          X