Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIOS settings for Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL on ASUS Sabertooth X58 with Intel i7-950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS settings for Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL on ASUS Sabertooth X58 with Intel i7-950

Hello,

I'd like to know what BIOS settings I need to tweak so that the G Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL RAM run at 1600.

I'm a beginner PC builder trying to learn and have just built a PC with the following:

[1] ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 motherboard
    [2] Intel i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 CPU
    [3] CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler
    [4] EVGA 01G-P3-1465-AR GeForce GTX 465 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card
    [5] G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    [6] Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    [7] KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE PSU
    [8] LIAN LI PC-A05NB ATX Mini Tower Case

For the two RAM sticks, one is placed in A1 and the other in B1. Both Piriform's Speccy and CPU-Z are telling me that all 8gb are detected and running at about 800 MHz at timings of 9-9-9-24. I understand the Sabertooth X58 is a triple channel board and for now I'm using dual channel RAM, but was thinking it still should be possible to get the two G Skill Ripjaws RAM sticks to run at 1600.

Based on some information I found in the NewEgg feedback I've gone into the BIOS and under Ai Tweaker enabled XMP and set the DRAM frequency to 1600, then Exit & Save Changes, but it didn't seem to change anything, so I'm sure I have overlooked something(s).

So, I'd like to know what all BIOS settings I need to tweak so that the G Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL RAM run at 1600.

Thanks for your help.

You are already done. 800MHz is DDR3-1600

DDR is Double Data Rate, meaning real frequency (800MHz) x 2 = DDR3-1600 effective frequency

If you use a benchmark test, that will show you the effective frequency, since that is what it tests at. The memory clock 800MHz is commonly shown in non-benchmark programs as they show real frequency only.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the help

Ok, thanks for the help, much appreciated. Looks like I somehow did it right and didn't know enough to know I did it right (which is much better than the alternative). Thanks for the help, and the quick response!

Comment

This throws people all the time

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

follow up

I installed the 2 x 4gb dual channel G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 RAM (9-9-9-24) on the ASUS Sabertooth 1366 x58 motherboard in the first two tan colored channels and when I booted the PC for the first time Speccy indicated all 8gb were running fine and at 1333 by default (at 9-9-9-24). So I then went into BIOS and changed to XMP and it auto selected Profile 1 running the RAM at 1600, then Save & Exit. After the PC finished booting I ran Speccy and it indicated the 8gb of RAM was now running at 1600 (9-9-9-24).

Several days later I ordered a 1 x 4gb stick of the same G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 RAM (9-9-9-24). Before I installed it I set the RAM setting in BIOS back to Auto, rebooted, and it showed up in Speccy at 1333 again. I then shut down and installed the 3rd stick in the 3rd tan-colored slot and booted and the PC booted, found all 12gb and Speccy showed it running at 1066.

I then shut down, started up and went into BIOS and went back to the XMP setting and it again auto selected Profile 1 running the RAM at 1600, then Save & Exit. After the PC finished booting I ran Speccy and it indicated that all 12gb of RAM was now running at 1600 (9-9-9-24).

The only thing I noted in Speccy after all this was about a 1oC to 2oC increase in CPU temp and motherboard temp.

The G Skill Ripjaws RAM - 2 sticks ordered as a dual-channel kit and 1 stick orderd later as a single stick - seems to have all been compatible enough to work together in my case for this build.

So my last two questions on this thread -

[1] Is it the case then that by buying a triple-channel kit you just are reducing your chances of incompatibility, whereas if you buy 2 then 1, or 1 then 2, or 1 then 1 then 1 stick of the same RAM that you have a higher chance of incompatibility but it still could work fine (as it looks like is the case with my build)?

[2] What are RAM mfr's like G Skill doing to decide which RAM sticks to sell as singles, dual-channel or triple-channel, are they testing each stick in some way that tells them these two and those three will more likely work with each other, but that single won't?

Comment

1) Yes and congratulations 2) Most all manufacturers know there can be what amounts to microscopic differences in the sticks of a like model so when the bundle sets 2, 3,4,6,8,12,24 GB sets the sticks are tested together for compatibility.

So r u waiting up for Santa also, I figured we could have a brew and some chips before he heads back out......................Ho, Ho, Ho!

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X