Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD system, G.Skill RAM choice

hey guys.

A month ago i decided to build myself an AMD system, i have decided on everything except for the RAM...

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
    AMD Phenom II 1090T
    XFX Proseries 650w
    AMD Radeon HD 6850

The three options are (4gb):

G.Skill Ecos 1600 mhz 7-8-7-24-2N @ 1.35v $115
    G.Skill Pi 1600 mhz 6-8-6-24-2N @ 1.6v $109
    Edit: G.Skill Tridents (W/FAN) 2000 9-9-9-27-2N @1.6v $ 135

Original list:
    G.Skill Ecos 1600mhz 1.35v @ 7-8-7-24 AUD$115
    G.Skill PI 1600mhz 1.6v @ 6-8-6-24 AUD$109
    G.Skill Flares 1800mhz 1.65v @ 9-9-9-24 AUD$129
    G.Skill Ripjaws 2000mhz 1.6v @ 9-9-9-27 AUD$135
    Kingston HyperX 1600 1.6v @ 7-8-7-20 AUD$115
    Kingston HyperX 2250 1.65v @ 9-11-9-27 AUD$135

Going to be playing games and a little overclocking.

Which one and why?
    Last edited by Klinky; 12-15-2010, 09:28 PM.

What mobo? what CPU? R U going to OC? OS? 2,4,8,16GB? Just from what you show I'd go with the PIs, they have a lower CL

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sorry, bit stupid of me to forget the setup -.- sec will edit

Comment

No problem, on the Tridents, are you referring to the F3-16000CL9D-4GBTDD 4GB set, not positive, your post has a $135 by it (if so they have these at NewEgg for $120), though if $135 is in your price range might look at the Flares (they are $140 at the Egg) F3-16000CL9D-4GBFLS, and are specifically for the Phenom II X6 Thuban CPUs and the ASUS M4A89TD PRO, M4A89GTD PRO and M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 mobos (not the GB, but good mobos also).

Of the three you listed, the Tridents would be a good choice, plenty of speed and room to play.

Tman

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

This was my original list (edited into first post).

But i narrowed it down on peoples suggestions.

By the way im in australia so i cant buy things from newegg :/

Comment

That's a shame, great selection and prices, I'd stay w/ with my suggestion of the Tridents you added, 2nd choice would be the PIs. The Hyper X 1600 is a good set also, though brand wise GSkill is based out of Taiwan, so if ever any problems (have a lifetime warranty) where they have to be replaced that might be easier

Tman

Comment

But do you think the upgrade from the PIs ($109) to the Tridents (135) is worth it? I could probably do it but whats the performance difference?

Comment

You have a difference of 1600 vs 2000 DRAM frequency to start so the 2000 are faster and have more leeway in play as far as performance. The 1600's might be able to be OCed a little (as possibly can the 2000s) , but the 1600s won't be able to hit 2000. Additionally, if you decide to upgrade the CPU and/or mobo in the future, you'll have good sticks to go with already. In part, it's just something I do whenever possible, get the fastest sticks I can with a given budget, if need be they can always be downclocked and the CL tightened, so if the box can run the sticks at the advertised speed, there very little if any loss of performance.

Tman

Comment

Ok thanks, it will depend on how much money i have left after buying my other parts.

If i can afford the ripjaws i will get them, if not i will go for the PI's

Comment

Sounds like a winner, let us know how the build goes

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X