Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nf980-g65 + F312800CL7D-4GBECO

CPU - Phenom II X4 965 125 watt c3 stepping

iv'e been slowly increasing my FSB, increasing voltage for stability and testing for about a week now. im looking to get the most i can out of this ram and have it stable. im thinking it would be faster if i started from the other direction. what would be the highest voltage and loosest timings i should use if im starting out at around 2100Mhz and working my way down? if the cpu runs at around 3.7Ghz at 1.360v would that voltage need to be increased if the fsb is higher but the multiplier is lower(so the freq. is roughly the same)? what is the fastest speed that i can operate ram at in dual channel w/ this cpu and with the 6-core amd? for future upgrades.

To be honest, I can't be sure, every combo has it's own little thing. Might take three identical rigs and have a range of +/- .2 or more GHz. Maybe some of the members have the same rig and can help out on this
    Last edited by Tradesman; 12-22-2010, 06:21 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

here is where i am stable.
      FSB - 216
      cpu ratio - X17 (3.67 Ghz)
      cpu nb ratio - X10
      ht link - X10
      fsb-dram ratio - 1:4 (1728 Mhz)
      8-8-7-18-5-30 1T
      cpu voltage - 1.336
      cpu-nb voltage - 1.205
      dram voltage - 1.69
      nb voltage - 1.20
      ht link voltage - 1.30
      these settings were tested with BOINC running quantum computer simulation@100% cpu usage whilst playing facebook games, youtube videos, and/or browsing the web for 12+ hours.
      cpu temp 55-57 degrees C with stock cooling.
      what ram timings should i loosen to try to increase my frequency? should i even try to increase the frequency? would i gain any performance? would i be better off trying to tighten the timings opposed to increasing the frequency? what do i need to do to increase the cpu-nb ratio and the ht link?
      Last edited by noah; 12-14-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Looks pretty good, squeezing anymore out may be through experimentation, might have some AMD OCers that take a look and have ideas or maybe GSkill could offer some pointers

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

With 965 CPU, you are approaching max. You can try to raise tRP and tRAS to see how high it can go. Benchmark both and just go with the fastest one. Higher frequency may not be better than lower latency, especially for AMD.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

thanks for the pointers. i've been benchmarking with passmark.im getting better results when i gear it towards lowering the timing. im around 1300mhz 5-6-5-18-4-15-(19 or less) and im getting better results than a higher frequency with looser timings. must be an amd thing? what is the maximum frequency my processor can run ram at in dual channel mode?

Comment

Max is typically around DDR3- 1800 to 2000, depending on CPU and how much CPU-NB Voltage you put to it. Just like any AMD CPU, they are only capable of DDR3-1333, so anything higher is forcing the CPU memory controller. The additional voltage to CPU-NB is what stabilizes it, but the max frequency varies between each CPU.

CL5? That's good work! The reason why you don't see much difference is because bandwidth is limited. For DDR3-1600 and higher, you need to overclock the NB Frequency too in order for the CPU to be able to use the extra memory speed. Otherwise the CPU is just bottlenecking memory performance.

You can say it is an AMD thing.. if you use this memory on Intel, you will notice the benchmark results are much higher. Intel is just better at memory performance, which is part of the reason why it's much more $.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

here are my current settings
                FSB: 244
                CPU: x14.5 (3538)
                NB: x8 (1952)
                DRAM: 1:2.66 (1301)
                5-6-5-15-4-17 1T
                HT link: x8 (1952)
                CPU: stock (1.343v)
                cpu-nb: 1.205v
                DRAM: 1.70v
                NB: 1.20v
                HT link: 1.30v
                i *just* raised the NB to x9. it seems to be stable at the current voltage. at what point would it no longer be a bottle neck to the ram? should it be higher than the ht link multiplier? how much?

Comment

W/ the ECOs rated at 1.35 volts and you having them at 1.7, I'd be a little leery of extended use. Could run benchmarks at the different settings you've tried to get a comfortable stable set.

Tman

Comment

Run the benchmark tests, that's the only way to find out what's actually faster. Your DRAM frequency isn't that high, so it probably isn't bottlenecking much.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                    X