Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800cl9d-4gbrl & ga-p55-ud3

Hey all,

I am having some blue screen issues on a newly built pc. Ive been at work all day, researching scenarios & problem solving.

First things first, I will run each ram card with memtest.

My question is if the ram comes out okay.....I dont want to flash the bios just yet.

What are the correct values I should tweak in my bios. All I really know for sure is to make sure the volts are set to 1.5v. as for everything else, Id really appreciate a list of parameters.

heres my original thread in tomshardware

Hey all, been lurking all afternoon looking for answers. Heres my setup (2 days old)

cpu-intel i5 760 lynnfield
    mb-GA-P55-UD3
    vga-evga GTX 460 superclocked(factory oc
    ram-g.skill ripjaws DDR3 dual channel 1600 2gig x 4 (8gigs)
    psu-OCZ fatality 550w
    hdd- sata seagate barracuda 80/ sata seagate barracuda 160 (8500rpm??)
    cd- 2 nec dvd burners ide - primary & slave

Everything is new, except for the case & 2 sata hdd's. I didnt format the hard drives from a dos/bios based utility. I cleared them within the windows install. It seemed to do it rather quickly, and kept the partitions, but they were cleared. One other thing I did was I used my old video card (evga 6660gt) during the install, because my 460 GTX was still coming in the mail. I didnt install any video drivers, just used it as a basic video output, since there is no on-board video with the ga-p55-ud3.

Windows installed with no problems. I was able get into windows with no problems. But within the first 10 minutes of windows running, while I was installing drivers & utilities from the gigabyte cd, it crashed with a blue screen. I restarted, and it was stable enough for me to finish installing & updating drivers. Then I installed Avast! internet security, no problems. Downloaded windows updates, with a few restarts in-between, no problems.

Put in the new video card last night, and installed newest drivers. Computer worked great, and I was able to explore win 7, internet, tested out some hd video files to see the performance of the new video card. everything worked great. I tried to turn on the pc this morning, and once I get past the Windows password screen, it goes to blue/freeze & restarts. Upon restart, it froze again after the password screen. I just turned off the pc & went to work. I was having trouble last night with sound, and was tinkering around with sound settings, & downloaded the newest realtek hd sound driver from the GB website. It fixed my sound, sort of.....i think I have my front panel connectors installed wrong.

Long story short:

This started happening on an EMPTY windows install with nothing else on the hdd. That is why I am asking here, instead of trying to figure out a software issue. Could it be the hdd's? They arent on a RAID setup. Could it be the fact that I used my old video card during the install? I read another post about someone having issues with the gskill ram. Everything is recognized in device manager & everything seemed to be operating when I looked at the MB diagnostics.

the only 3-rd party software on this computer is : gigabyte utilities, avast internet security & firefox.

Start off by checking that you have the base DRAM settings in correctly (and I'd say manually). Speed to 1600, base timings will be 9-9-9-24, CR (Command Rate) at 2, DRAM Voltage to 1.5. Give that a try but it think it may have a corrupted OS so might want to consider a fresh install.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

confused now

checked values in the bios. set to 1333, which I cant change. voltage was already on 1.5v. 9-9-9-24 / CR-2. I didnt change anything.

ran memtest with originally described install & immediately got errors. Let it run till about 50% and had a TON of errors. Then I removed all ram cards, and checked out the serial numbers. I matched them accordingly, which I could have very well installed them mis-matched. Matched them up and installed all 4 back to MB. Got errors immediately.

So, I did it one card at a time, one slot at a time. Tried every possible combination. My finger is killing me. Installed in slot 2 or 4 by itself, I cant even boot into bios. just repeating beeps from speaker. Installed in 1 or 3 by itself no errors. 1 &2 either chip combo, no errors. 3&4 one chip combo made no error, one did. I switched them to 1&2, and it didnt make an error. This led me to believe that slot 4 might be malfunctioning. I installed the other 2 cards into 3 &4 and im not getting any errors.

Memtest has been running the whole time while I am typing this, and I havent gotten a single error. I will let it finish completely, and see how windows acts.

what happened? did I self repair an external problem on the mb or memory chip with the constant install & removal? Im not crossing my fingers yet.

Comment

Possible, may had a 'dirty' or very picky slot. If problems continue could try playing w/ voltages NB, CPU/NB or add a bit (.05) to the sticks themselves

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

after I let memtest run through the whole process, I got only 2 errors. Is there an acceptable amount of errors, or should there be zero?

Comment

Not to us, only 0 is acceptable, so feel free to send those in for RMA.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

gskill

so, should I set up an RMA, or continue testing? How long does the RMA process take? I dont want to be without a pc for weeks.

Thanks for the help btw, top notch support from gskill. one of the main reasons i chose gskill.

Comment

Test each module individually to confirm results. When testing together, sometimes errors are not accurate. The RMA process should take roughly a week. 1-2 days for us to process, and the rest is shipping time back to you.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                X