• Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D with DP55KG crashes

Let me start by saying "I am not a hardware guy"

I build 3 new AutoCAD workstations for my design firm:

MOBO Intel DP55KG
    Processor 875K
    Memory F3-12800CL9D 4x4GB

Everything burnt in well and the software load fine. However, within weeks, the users started getting blue screens. It is happening on all the machines so I doubt it is a bad install or bad DIMM issue. I have read through the GSkill forums and it sounds like others are having incompatible issues as well. The only 4GB ram on the Intel site recommended for the DP55KG is the Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G.

I'm not a overclocker and I have no desire to learn how. Do you have any memory that is compatible that I can swap out? I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but it seems like the crashes are getting worse. We are averaging 2 or more a day on each machine. My employees are staging a mutiny.

Please help!

Is this on all three systems. May want to make sure you have the latest BIOS, I ask because a new one was released in Nov - 11/16/2010 ver 5893. Also not sure what exact model - was it the Ripjaws F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL? If so, did you go and set the DRAM speed and timings? Believe the mobo defaults to 1333 on auto, so your timings and speed may be off a bit, will want to manually enter the Speed 1600, base timings 9-9-9-24, DRAM voltage 1.5, and Command Rate (CR) 2N or if it shows as T then 2T.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes,

It is happening on all systems. One is worse that the others, but all are having the same problem.

I did flash the latest BIOS, but it didn't help. In fact I had to downgrade the BIOS because the new BIOS actually make it less stable. Plus the CPU would not report the speed anymore.

Where should I adjust memory settings? BIOS? Intel has a Control Center application that you can use to change the settings and auto tune the BIOS settings for performance.

Comment

The memory is F3-12800CL9D 4gb. I have 4 DIMMS install for a total of 16gb. Why did you ask about the F3-12800CL9Q?

Comment

Trying to figure what set or sets you are running you show F3-12800CL9D which is the beginning of a model number but it's missing the end that show total GBof the set and actual model like 16GBRL at the end of what I listed (16GBRL means total of 16GB Ripjaws Low).

With the part of the model listed that you show, which ends in a D it could be a number of sets though the D indicates it's a 2 stick set, which would be indicative that to be running 4x4GB as you said then you have 2 set in each system.

Knowing the actual model # is important to get the voltages right.

As for adjustments, I'd suggest going through the BIOS, software centric adjustments seldom allow for BIOS upgrades...unless they provide a software update at the same time they do a BIOS update.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I check the settings you identified. One machine (the one with the least problems) was set to 1333. The other two (the ones with the most issues) were set to 1600. In all three cases the other setting were set as you suggested.

The mobo BIOS has three memory options which change all the setting.
            • Auto
            • Manual
            • XMP-1600

All were set to auto. I assume that this is the default as the DP55KG is a extreme board made to overclock unlocked Intel processors. BTW: the Intel Control Center does change the memory setting in BIOS. It increases performance settings until the system crashes and them backs them back down. Each time it crashes it remembers the previous setting and resets them.

I change the setting on one of the machines to XMP-1600. I notices it increased some of the latency values. Maybe this will help. I will let you know how it goes. It shouldn't take long to determine whether it made a difference as this machine experiences the most problems and has been crashing about 4 time a day.

Comment

Oops! my mistake...All of them were set to manual not auto. Manual is the default.

Comment

Let us know how the XMP settings work

Tman

Comment

Well, the machine I changed to XMP crashed twice today. Do you have any ideas? I'm real tempted to just by the tested RAM.

Comment

Can you post your current BIOS settings

Tman

Comment

Test one stick at a time, sounds like one is defective and you may need to RMA for a new kit. This memory is compatible, so the replacement kit should work fine.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well,

The XMP setting did not help. However, one of the machines has not had a system crash in over two weeks. So I copied the memory BIOS setting to the machine that has experience the most problems. The setting are as follows:

18 Uncore Multiplier
                        Auto Memory Multiplier
                        9 tCC
                        9 tRCD
                        9 tRP
                        24 tRASmin
                        107 tRFC
                        4 tRRD
                        10 tWR
                        5 tWTR
                        5 tRTP
                        33 tRC
                        20 tFAW
                        1.5v Memory Voltage
                        1.0v Uncore Voltage
                        Auto Command rate

The machine crashed twice since I changed the setting this morning. I'm not sure what to try next. Any ideas?

Comment

Try the DRAM voltage at 1.55

Tman

Comment

tWR should be 12 for DDR3-1600. Do you have the latest BIOS?

You can also try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V, these should work without a problem.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Setting the voltage to 1.55 didn't work.

I changed the setting to:

DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

I'll let you know how it goes...

Comment

Working...
                              X