Why is W7 performance score low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is W7 performance score low

I ran a W7 performance test and my G.Skill DDR3 1600 memory scored 5.8. I reran the test twice and got the same results. I have DDR2 667 installed on an older machine that scores 6.8 on the same test. I ran a PassMark system test and the memory scores ran in the 70th to 85th percentiles amongst all uploaded tests. Is the W7 performance test indicative of a problem with the memory? Should I activate the extreme memory bios setting? My wife uses this machine to view videos, surf the web and do moderate word processing.

INTEL Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz
    GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2V
    EVGA 015-P3-N969-LR GeForce 9600 GSO 1.5GB 192-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    WD Black 640GB HD

Did you configure memory settings in BIOS after you installed them? If not, go ahead and enable XMP and see if that changes the score.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

XMP enabled - no improvement

Thank you for your response. I enabled the extreme memory setting and retested. The Windows Experience Index remained at 5.9, a disappointing score when compared with my older DDR2 memory score of 6.8. I was expecting a score of 7.0 or more with the DDR3. Is there something else I am missing?

Comment

XMP will have different internal settings available - can you post your DRAM settings, it may have loaded to 1333 or something

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Frequency - 1600
          Timing - 9-9-9-24
          Multiplier - Auto (I set it to 10x but that did not have any impact so I returned to auto)
          Voltage - 1.5V

The total memory indicate is 4096 but the usable is 3968. I don't recall usable being different than total on other machines.

The PassMark test was as follows:
          Overall Memory Mark - 1400.7 out of 2000
          Allocate Small Block - 6013.6 mbs
          Read Cached - 2591.9 mbs
          Read Uncached - 2355.3 mbs
          Write - 2654.9
          Large RAM - 2307.4 operations/second

Changing from auto to extreme settings had no effect on the WEI score.

Comment

The WEI may not be calculating it correctly. This is common with i3 CPUs, I'm not sure how it calculates, but it can either be limited bandwidth or low available memory causing it to read a low score.

No need to worry about it, as long as the memory is set correctly, it will operate at it's proper speed.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X