Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all those with memory issues and P55 mobos

Suggestions:

1). If you run MEMTEST86+ and it shows all clear, don't rely solely upon that. Run WINDIAG from boot CD also.

2). If you have spurious memory related issues in Win7 (such as Firefox quitting unexpectedly), you should exit Win7 (using restart) and have pc boot straight to MEMTEST86+. Do not reenter bios in between. If MEMTEST86+ shows all clear then return to Win7 and exit again (using restart) and make pc boot straight to WINDIAG. BETWEEN EXIT WIN7 AND RUNNING MEMTEST86+ (OR WINDIAG) - DO NOT REVISIT BIOS SETTINGS.

3). If you have a P55 mobo don't be too quick to point the finger at the memory sticks. How many here have swapped memory sticks only to find the problem still arises?

Notes:

This is the result of much effort (months) to resolve a "memory" issue of a Gigabyte P55-USB3 v1.0, i3-530 cpu and initially Geil ddr3 ram and then G.Skill CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB). I did find the cause of the problem and how to get around it. I have messaged Gigabyte about it first to see what they say. I now have a rock solid pc running 200MHz bclk 1600Mhz 8800MHz qpi setting and cpu at 3600MHz unpushed. All voltages are <auto>. All cpu options <enabled>.

I swapped Geil ram to G.skill ram because the Geil's weren't on the "tested" mobo list and the G.skill were. I thought it had fixed the issue..... for about two days.

I was fooled into believing I had a "cold boot" issue until I found WINDIAG (bootCD) would show the problem at any time. MEMTEST86+ only showed up the issue when the PC was cold.

Have MEMTEST86+ on bootable usb and WINDIAG on bootable cd for tests. Set your bios boot priority order to first;CDROM second;USB-HDD third;Hard Disk. When you "restart" Win7, simply have the Windiag cd in the drive or the Memtest86 usb in the slot to set the next boot.

WINDIAG actually indicates WHICH MEMORY STICK has had how many errors. Awesome. MEMTEST86+ does not say. The critical thing here is Windiag told me all my errors were on slot A2 stick so I swapped and tested again (reboot>enter Win7>restart>Windiag boot CD) and Windiag said slot A2 again. This is where I was picking up the problem was not the memory sticks but further upstream. Big bonus.

The errors in my runs of Memtest86 or Windiag showed up withing the first 60 seconds of the run. There was never a need to run for hours. Once I had resolved the whole problem, then I would finally confirm with longer runs but they never showed any more errors.

When I loaded Win7 to setup for a reboot of Memtest86 or Windiag I only ever had to show desktop and then restart. I found actually doing anything in Win7 was not necessary. Just had to be there and exit. Big clue there!

After I get response from Gigabyte I will post the actual cause and remedy.

Be interesting to hear what they say - look forward to it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

PLEASE POST IF THIS WORKS FOR YOU OR NOT and include make/model of motherboard.

To follow on from my previous post, the answer to the problems with memory faults on the GA-P55-USB3 was to

set the BIOS, "Integrated Peripherals" page, "Onboard USB 3.0 Controller" option to <DISABLED>.

If you try it , then while you're in BIOS set all memory, cpu, bus timings, voltages back to simple "F7 defaults" to eliminate them from any proof trial.

Process:

Before you change your bios do a simple test to see if there may be a readily identifiable memory issue.

Start WIN7, go to <start><all programs><administrative tools><windows memory diagnostic> and run. PC will reboot and enter the diagnostics program. You should see "HARDWARE PROBLEM DETECTED" message arise withing first 20 seconds.

Now change the above BIOS setting. Save, reboot, start WIN7, go to <start><all programs><administrative tools><windows memory diagnostic> and run. PC will reboot and enter the diagnostics program. You are hoping "HARDWARE PROBLEM DETECTED" message no does not arise withing first 20 seconds. If this is so, start celebrating.

Run full tests with both MEMTEST86+(from usb) and WINDIAG v0.4 2003 (from floppy/CD).

I have the idea I will get nil response from Gigabyte based upon what others have indicated. I initially thought the fix was crazy and rediid the process several times to shore it up. I can recreate my radical memory problem at will.

I'll leave technical explanation to someone else. I suspect this problem relates to all Intel P55 implementations where USB 3.0 is included. It may also affect AMD mobos with USB 3.0 sharing PCIe bus lanes per the P55 design.

It can also be fixed by leaving "Onboard USB 3.0 Controller" option as <ENABLED> but changing "Turbo USB 3.0" to <ENABLED>.
      This setting will force handover PCIe lanes to USB and cheat your video throughput. Whiich ever way depends on what you want the PC to do best. The worst scenario is as the default setting are set by using the bios <F7> performance defaults option.

I hope this solves your memory management woes. If it doesn't help, you only wasted 15 minutes. I spent 2 months and $$'s.

Gigabyte (and possibly others) need to release a new BIOS (for all USB3.0 mobos) to fix the issue properly but don't hold your breath.

Comment

I am experiencing troubles similar to yours but have not ram windows hardware diagnostics yet as I lost the ability to boot into windows. I am currently reinstalling with only 1 stick installed in the mobo and usb 3.0 disabled in the bios.

The difference between us is that i have an Asus M4A88TD-V Evo motherboard with an AMD Phenom II x6 1055T processor.

Comment

When you have a usable Win7 create a boot usb with MEMTEST86+ and CREATE A BOOT cd WITH ms windiag v0.4 (possible 4GB limit).
          Run them both outside of Windows. One stick each then MEMTEST86+ and WINDIAG and then both sticks with MEMTEST86+. In meantime stay out of Windows whilst cycling sticks.

I'd have USB3.0 controller disabled and most other settings defaulted at F7 options. Let the bios set your memory timings and voltages from the dram spd rom.

Not an answer, but may lead to something.

Comment

Working...
          X