Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F3-12800CL6Q-8GBPI (2Gx4) at 1600 6-8-6-24?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL6Q-8GBPI (2Gx4) at 1600 6-8-6-24?

Hi, I am recently upgrading from a 2x2gb set of g.skill ram at 9-9-9-24 @ 1600 mhz.

I bought this http://gskill.com/products.php?index=259

However, when i installed it, and set the correct timings, my computer will not post. It merely reboots over and over without even letting me go into the BIOS.

Currently, im trying to set it to 1600 MHZ at 6-8-6-24-2T.

I can make it run correctly at 1600 MHZ with 9-9-9-24-2T, or at 1333 MHZ with 6-8-6-24-2T

Is there a certain setting i need to change, or some way to make my system stable with the recommended 6-8-6-24 at 1600?

My system specs are ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.6GHz, and if theres anything else i need to post let me know.

I appreciate any help in advance.

To run your new set at the recommended timings you will prob have to increase the voltages to the CPU, MC, HT and DRAM and/or OC the CPU. With AMDs weak memory controller it has trouble w/ fast sticks and tight timings. May want to start by setting the timings at 8-8-8-24 and increase voltages till stable...then gradually tighten the timings down while increasing voltages to compensate.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alright, so pretty much increase a bunch of voltages until i get it somewhat stable. If i can't seem to get it running correctly, would you recommend 1333 6-8-6-24 or 1600 9-9-9-24?

Comment

Might want to run the sticks both ways and run SiSandra (free) to benchmark which actually performs the best (or if running Vista or Win7 could run the Experience Index or another DRAM benchmark program. Might find that the performance is a little better at 1333 w/ the 6 CL. Not positive w/ your exact setup.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I can't seem to get the 1600 6-8-6-24 stable, even with very high voltages on everything necessary. I'm not willing to risk it by pushing it to the max.

If its possible, is there another AM3 motherboard that has a better chipset than the one ive got? I was looking at the ASUS Crosshair IV.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also, the lower speed with tighter timings runs about 15% faster than the other choice, according to SiSandra.

Comment

That's one thing nice with the faster sticks that are out, you can often lower the speed, tighten the timings and they will outperform their stock speed/settings....... On to your question about your mobo, if you browse the forums, you might notice that their are more problems with EVO mobos that any other that I see......especially w/ most any RAM from about 1333 on up.... The Crosshair(s) are good boards, might also want to look at the GigaBytes ( 890FXA -- UD7, UD5)

Tman

Comment

I've never used a Gigabyte board, ive had pretty good luck with ASUS besides these RAM problems anyway.

It's gonna be a toss up between the UD7 and the Crosshair Formula IV.

The memory controller on those boards should be sufficient, correct?

And out of personal preference, which would you pick?

Comment

The MC is integrated into the CPU, it's not a mobo centric item like in the say Intel 775 mobos where the MC is in the NorthBridge....of the 2, I think I'd go w/ the UD7. I used to really be a big (BIG, about 70+% of my builds) ASUS fan, but started moving away from them about a year and a half ago. Just sort of felt the QC and support disappeared.

Tman

Comment

Sounds good, i appreciate all the help.

Comment

No problem, Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X